Wait listing is NOT the end!

Hello friends!

I'm got a special request, for both myself and all the other waitlisted people slowly losing their sanity. Since it seems like people are starting to make decisions and stuff, if anyone turns down an offer, could you just drop us a line here? Give us the gift of hope this application season! Or hair dye, since we're also a prematurely greying lot as well.

Hello friends!

I'm got a special request, for both myself and all the other waitlisted people slowly losing their sanity. Since it seems like people are starting to make decisions and stuff, if anyone turns down an offer, could you just drop us a line here? Give us the gift of hope this application season! Or hair dye, since we're also a prematurely greying lot as well.

Or balding. :)

Hello friends!

Only English/Rhet Comp people? Or just generally? (I'm happy to let everyone know, but I doubt it will be terribly relevant to anyone active on this thread)

Only English/Rhet Comp people? Or just generally? (I'm happy to let everyone know, but I doubt it will be terribly relevant to anyone active on this thread)

Might as well have everyone list (if they want to!) we might have some lurkers who study German lit too.

Thanks for telling us Rubyrunner!

Just got an email from Penn State to set up a phone call, so now I'm sitting at work too anxious to do anything productive. And now I just saw a rhet/comp person turned down a Purdue offer, so they may be in motion now too. I'd been doing so well keeping my frantic hoping at bay for the last week, but now that's out the window and I'm totally freaking out again. Make it end!

Just got an email from Penn State to set up a phone call, so now I'm sitting at work too anxious to do anything productive. And now I just saw a rhet/comp person turned down a Purdue offer, so they may be in motion now too. I'd been doing so well keeping my frantic hoping at bay for the last week, but now that's out the window and I'm totally freaking out again. Make it end!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. :)

Congrats! I hope it goes well for you! Though I'm sure the stress is terrible... I'm slowly started to be consumed by stress myself as it gets closer to my top choice's visiting weekend...

Thanks for letting us know, LadyT!

Congrats! I hope it goes well for you! Though I'm sure the stress is terrible... I'm slowly started to be consumed by stress myself as it gets closer to my top choice's visiting weekend...

Thanks for letting us know, LadyT!

No problem! And in case someone hasn't already told you this - the best advice I received for a visiting weekend was "just be yourself." Seriously! (Sorry if this is annoying unsolicited advice) Also, be somewhat humble. I went to some visits with self-important "name-droppers" and they were insufferable. Even some of the profs seemed annoyed by them.

Hello friends!

I second this big time. It looks like they did this last year too, according to my searches. If anyone is turning down Rutgers, let me know! It won't really tell me much, but it'll make me feel good. B) I will do the same for any of the schools I end up declining.

In the spirit of hopefully easing spirits, I turned down funded offers from Kentucky, UNC-Greensboro, and South Carolina - hope that helps someone!

I am currently weighing my options between Stony Brook and Ole Miss, and I'm leaning towards Stony Brook right now (potentially, at some point in the next week or two, opening up a funded spot for a wait-lister at Ole Miss). Also, of course, waiting on some G-D wait lists (really just waiting on Emory, though, since that's the only one that could sway me away from my two remaining acceptances at this point... though UConn could put up a fight, maybe).

I'm curious what people think about holding on to an offer while awaiting waitlist decisions. I'm on two waitlists, and one of those schools has admitted off the waitlist right up to April 15 in the past. I won't be able to visit one of the schools I've been accepted to until the first week in April due to work, other school visits, and a conference, and there is a good chance I will accept the offer...but I definitely have those waitlists in the back of my mind as well. I don't have many options, so I'm not squatting on an offer I know I won't take, but I can't help but feel a little like a jerk for not being able to make a decision quicker when I know there is a waitlist, especially when I'm on pins and needles myself about other waitlists. I certainly have an idea of which way I would go if I received another offer and will to keep in touch with the waitlist schools in (the likely) case it become apparent at some point that an offer is defintely not forthcoming.

I suppose the waitlist/April 15 thing is just part of the "game"...but still... :unsure:

I'm curious what people think about holding on to an offer while awaiting waitlist decisions. I'm on two waitlists, and one of those schools has admitted off the waitlist right up to April 15 in the past. I won't be able to visit one of the schools I've been accepted to until the first week in April due to work, other school visits, and a conference, and there is a good chance I will accept the offer...but I definitely have those waitlists in the back of my mind as well. I don't have many options, so I'm not squatting on an offer I know I won't take, but I can't help but feel a little like a jerk for not being able to make a decision quicker when I know there is a waitlist, especially when I'm on pins and needles myself about other waitlists. I certainly have an idea of which way I would go if I received another offer and will to keep in touch with the waitlist schools in (the likely) case it become apparent at some point that an offer is defintely not forthcoming.

I suppose the waitlist/April 15 thing is just part of the "game"...but still... :unsure:

I don't know how others feel about this, but here's my take: While I think it is wonderful of people to release offers quickly, you also need to consider all of your options carefully and do what is best for you. If you need to keep your offers in your pocket until you know where you stand at other schools, I think that is perfectly reasonable. This is your future you're talking about!

Thanks LadyT! I don't actually get to go to my school's visiting weekend as a waitlister, but I know I'm going to visit if I do get made an offer, and that's pretty solid advice both ways. I wouldn't want to be the class prick before classes even start!

Flower--I'm also with LadyT on this one, don't let us make you feel guilty about holding out! While it's great if people know where they're declining early, realistically most of us are going to be a part of the made domino dash leading up to the 15th, and we know that. Good luck with your waitlists! I'm feeling really good about everyone's chances on this board.

I thought I was done: I'd only been accepted to one program with funding and thought I had an easy choice. The program is an MA in regional studies at a terrific school that's a great fit.

But I was just notified I'm on a wait-list at a PhD program in Lit, one of my top choices and a place I'd potentially want to end up after finishing that MA program.

Here's the tricky part: I have to accept or decline the offer of funding from the MA program by March 30th, obviously much earlier than many offers would come through for waitlisters.

Any thoughts? I'm sure someone else has gone through this, maybe there's an earlier post I missed?

Sorry for the grim tone. I was going to try to be funny but all those idiot feelings of uncertainty are flooding back. And I'd probably be more stupid than funny anyway.

Enzian - I think it's really odd that the MA program doesn't abide by the standard deadline. The reality of waitlisting, I'd imagine, makes that deadline gospel. The MA program where I was accepted told me to let them know by the end of April - I'd think an MA especially would either respect or extend the deadline, since most people apply to both MAs and MA/PhDs. The MA/PhD offer is too good to pass up, no matter how great of a school offers you an MA.

This doesn't help you at all, I know; but have you considered talking with their department? I'd hope the school wouldn't be offended that you were considering a PhD - it's totally understandable. I suppose if it comes down to it, you could accept their offer and back out later, even if it makes you look bad - the PhD school is going to be the one whose opinion you care about - but I understand not wanting to do that. I'd be wary, too.

I thought I was done: I'd only been accepted to one program with funding and thought I had an easy choice. The program is an MA in regional studies at a terrific school that's a great fit.

But I was just notified I'm on a wait-list at a PhD program in Lit, one of my top choices and a place I'd potentially want to end up after finishing that MA program.

Here's the tricky part: I have to accept or decline the offer of funding from the MA program by March 30th, obviously much earlier than many offers would come through for waitlisters.

Any thoughts? I'm sure someone else has gone through this, maybe there's an earlier post I missed?

Sorry for the grim tone. I was going to try to be funny but all those idiot feelings of uncertainty are flooding back. And I'd probably be more stupid than funny anyway.

Hey, we all feel your pain. There are a couple of things you can do:

-Write to the school where you've been accepted for the MA and ask for an extension. They deal with situations like this all the time and will likely be understanding.

-Write to the DGS at the school where you're waitlisted and ask for some kind of timeline. Likely they'll tell you that if you get off the waitlist, it will be late in the game, but it is probably good to keep them informed (also, it shows them that you're interested and willing to wait on their decision).

Once you've done one or both of those things, go do something to distract yourself!

anxious_aspirant and coffeeplease, thanks for some prompt and reasonable responses. :)

The reason the deadline is so early, I think, is that the funding is not from the MA program itself but from an FLAS assistantship which is administered by the department of education and my feeling is that the program is beholden to the DoE's deadline. But I'm just guessing and will consider asking for an extension anyway (just in case). I just don't want to jeopardize anything at that program in case the PhD offer doesn't come through (especially because the DGS at the MA program is a POI for me -- don't want to sour a relationship from the get-go, you know?).

I'm definitely going to write to the DGS at the PhD program for a timeline. And then I'm going to walk away from my computer.

I'm definitely going to write to the DGS at the PhD program for a timeline. And then I'm going to walk away from my computer.

And let him/her know about your MA program deadline! I communicated with my schools about my early deadline for ASU, and I just received an offer from Penn State accommodating that deadline.

anxious_aspirant and coffeeplease, thanks for some prompt and reasonable responses. :)

The reason the deadline is so early, I think, is that the funding is not from the MA program itself but from an FLAS assistantship which is administered by the department of education and my feeling is that the program is beholden to the DoE's deadline. But I'm just guessing and will consider asking for an extension anyway (just in case). I just don't want to jeopardize anything at that program in case the PhD offer doesn't come through (especially because the DGS at the MA program is a POI for me -- don't want to sour a relationship from the get-go, you know?).

Enzian, congratulations! I mean, that is obviously a problem, but a good problem to have. If you don't mind my asking, which PhD program?

And let him/her know about your MA program deadline! I communicated with my schools about my early deadline for ASU, and I just received an offer from Penn State accommodating that deadline.

Congratulations, Impending! That's wonderful news :)

I don't know how others feel about this, but here's my take: While I think it is wonderful of people to release offers quickly, you also need to consider all of your options carefully and do what is best for you. If you need to keep your offers in your pocket until you know where you stand at other schools, I think that is perfectly reasonable. This is your future you're talking about!

Thank you for this, LadyT. I feel validated. I have 3 offers and will probably be declining one this week. The other two, though, are so close that I probably won't be able to decide until April 8 (UT's visiting weekend isn't until April 5-6!) I feel like a jerk for not letting the offers go, but I know I won't be able to decide without seeing the campuses and meeting faculty/current students, etc. Does anyone on here know anything about UT vs. Indiana-Bloomington? Input is much appreciated.

On another (and more appropriate to this thread) note, I will probably be declining an offer from Florida sometime soon. Hope this helps someone out.