Recruitment Event Advice

Eudaimonia

Do schools generally email an itinerary beforehand, or is the schedule usually just distributed when you arrive? I usually feel more relaxed about these sorts of things when I know what to expect ahead of time, but I'd assume the departments don't fully appreciate my anxiety.

Varies. More together depts shared schedules beforehand.

Also seek out and talk to advanced grad students. Most recruitment events are overpopulated by us first-years. We can tell you a lot about what the first seven months of grad school are like and some general things about the department, but advanced students will be able to give a much more complete picture of comps, starting and funding your research, faculty advising, etc. I'm not saying be a jerk and brush off first-years, of course, but just know that our experience is only one particular window into the overall experience.

Best advice. This is the first step in a very, very long process of getting a tenure-track job. Although it is difficult, try to think 5, 10 and 15 years in the future. ABDs, if you can find them, are closer to the middle of this process and can see the whole picture (slightly) more clearly. Definitely try to find some if you can, and get their perspective on what they are doing now.

A POI at a program I am considering recently moved there from another program I am considering. I found this curious since he had to start his tenure clock over after being 4 years in at the first program, which was already a T-5 (he moved to another T-5). Is it appropriate to inquire about why he moved, so as to gauge whether there are any red flags at the other program of which I should be aware? If so, what would be the best way of breeching this subject?

Edited by packrat

There was another thread somewhere where someone wrote out a long list of suggested questions for visit days, but I can't seem to find it.  Does anyone else know where it is?  Thanks!

Edit: Found it!    The rest of the thread is good too.

Edited by James Alcott

Do departments usually provide meals during recruitment weekend?

Can't say for all schools but I would assume yes, with the goal to impress (or at least not disappoint) you. As one of our professors frequently jokes, recruitment events are the only time you will feel special in grad school :) I feel like there is a phdcomics about this but I can't find it right now.

Can't say for all schools but I would assume yes, with the goal to impress (or at least not disappoint) you. As one of our professors frequently jokes, recruitment events are the only time you will feel special in grad school :) I feel like there is a phdcomics about this but I can't find it right now.

Thanks. I just sent an email asking the department whether it can accommodate dietary restrictions in case it does provide meals. Otherwise what is a vegan to do? :-)

A POI at a program I am considering recently moved there from another program I am considering. I found this curious since he had to start his tenure clock over after being 4 years in at the first program, which was already a T-5 (he moved to another T-5). Is it appropriate to inquire about why he moved, so as to gauge whether there are any red flags at the other program of which I should be aware? If so, what would be the best way of breeching this subject?

Professors move around all the time, and for all kinds of reasons. The more tactful way to ask about it is, "What brought you here?" instead of, "What chased you out of there?"

Also, don't assume that the tenure clock was reset or that it is a bad thing if it was.

Professors move around all the time, and for all kinds of reasons. The more tactful way to ask about it is, "What brought you here?" instead of, "What chased you out of there?"

Also, don't assume that the tenure clock was reset or that it is a bad thing if it was.

Thanks. That's very helpful.

I know this person's tenure clock was reset because another prof in the department to which they moved told me it was. Was just told yesterday by a mutual friend/colleague though that this person moved because the type of work they do is a bit more policy oriented, which this person felt was better appreciated/more encouraged in the second dept. I will also ask the prof directly in the manner you suggest.

Thanks again, really appreciate it.