Movie Adaptations?

There's a second series?!?!?!? :o

Fuckitty. There goes any chance of me accomplishing anything during Reading Week other than hunting down an watching these online.

Sorry, Milton paper. You're just going to have to take a backseat until this noble goal is accomplished.

Also, so glad to see so many fellow (unofficial) Baker Street Irregulars on here! I thought I was the only one, and was very closeted about my Holmesian affections. Well, no more! I shall go forth into the world proclaiming my love for the world's greatest cocaine-addled misanthrope!

*marches nobly out of the thread*

I wonder what Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby is going to be like?

My friend knew the cast and asked me to guess who was playing who - I guessed Leo (gorgeous!) as Gatsby and Toby as Nick straight away. I'm much less convinced about Carey. I mean she's a great young actor, I just would have preferred to see someone quintessentially American to play Daisy.

Not "literature" and not a movie, but the Game of Thrones HBO series is far, far superior to the book. The book is pretty much garbage beach reading, and it is so poorly written (the story is decent, hence the superb adaptation, but the writing, my goodness) that there have been times when I literally (I mean, literally) lol'd at the words on the page.

I would also argue that both the Swedish and the American versions of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo are better than the book (well, they are better than the American translation of the book; I haven't read the book in Swedish [i don't know Swedish]). The translations--which many people seem to love--are terrible! True story: I opened the book to five separate pages, and on each page, I found a sentence that was poorly translated. Example: second page, "The fact of its being so rare a flower..." Was there really no better way of saying that? The fact of its being? Really?

I mean the Millenium trilogy is dumb pulpy reading--but the mysteries are constructed well enough that they become decent page turners, even if all of the characters are masturbatory and 2 dimensional.

Fincher's movie was a little weak though, I thought. I mean, yeah, the anal rape scene was especially brutal on screen, but most of the time I was thinking that without reading the book, you miss a ton of background. And while the movie still makes sense, the pacing just got all sorts of fucked up.

You can find them online if you look hard enough ;)

I believe (I could be mistaken) they are coming to the U.S. this fall.

Netflix! I think they're up, as is the first season of Downton Abbey. There are a whole bunch of really random older movies on there, as well, and I was pleasantly surprised. Also, random note, I'm a huge fan of Romola Garai. She's in the most random movies, but she was great in Daniel Deronda. Has anyone read/seen The Crimson Petal and the White?

I wonder what Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby is going to be like?

So do I. I love Baz Luhrmann. Even when his films are HORRIBLE, they still are nice to watch, a kind of Wes Anderson effect. But, I've seen some set pictures with costuming, and it looks amazing. I hope it turns out well. Fitzgerald has a very cinematic/visual style of writing, so I have a feeling that B.L. is one of the best people to make an adaptation.

Just popping in to revive this happy and non-admissions-decision-related thread, and to report that my goal of finding and watching the second series of Sherlock has been a resounding and immediate success.

Watched them all in the last two nights. Excellent. Even better than the first series. Benedict Cumberbatch might actually be giving Jeremy Brett a run for his money in the Holmes department. Unfathomable. Never thought I would say that....

:o

Now, back to your regularly scheduled fretting and hand-wringing..... ;)