Any composers out there?

amadeus122

i've combed 'teh internets' for resources for composers but i find that there's not as much information available for me as for say musicologists or theorists. anyone out there applying for MM's, DMA's or PhD's in composition or composition/theory? if so, where? i'm already rejected from the manhattan school of music (ie, we have not invited you to 'pre-screen' for *either* the MM or DMA) and the graduate center (cuny). still waiting and praying for nyu.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I was accepted (in composition) to NYU's music department and to Princeton, and passed the pre-screening in Manhattan School. Wasn't accepted to CUNY, still waiting to hear from Columbia, Stony Brook and Upenn.

Any recommendations which program is the best, Princeton, NYU or MSM? Or the others?

congrats, giladcom.

i got rejected by Princeton.. anyway..

if I were you, I will choose Princeton..

so, did you apply to NYU GSAS? did they email you??

if so, probably I got rejected by them either..

Thanks nada!

Yes, I did apply to NYU GSAS. I got an email on Friday saying I was accepted. I still didn't get a letter by mail, maybe after the weekend.

I'm still waiting to hear from Columbia, Stony Brook and Upenn, but I have a feeling Princeton will be my choice...

It's interesting, I didn't realize so many people apply to NYU GSAS. Is it considered to be a great program? And I'm also interested to hear the reasons you believe Princeton is a better choice, if you don't mind sharing... (as I said I have the same hunch).

Good luck with the next answers!

well.. actually I don't know much about NYU GSAS..

I just need big funding for my graduate study and it is in NYC.. that is why applied to NYU.. no other reasons in my case..

and Princeton..

they have interesting composers.. and it is still close to NYC.. and they support full funding..

Princeton was my top choice.. whatever..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi adamscottneal,

I might have good news for you - I was accepted both to Princeton and to NYU GSAG (PhD in Composition), and for now I'm pretty sure I'm gonna choose Princeton.

So I hope you'll get it!

G

• 2 years later...

I'm a composer and have been waitlisted for the PhD program at University of Minnesota. I got an email that sounds pretty encouraging, but since I've never been through this before, I don't know whether they're all like that or not.

i've combed 'teh internets' for resources for composers but i find that there's not as much information available for me as for say musicologists or theorists. anyone out there applying for MM's, DMA's or PhD's in composition or composition/theory? if so, where? i'm already rejected from the manhattan school of music (ie, we have not invited you to 'pre-screen' for *either* the MM or DMA) and the graduate center (cuny). still waiting and praying for nyu.