Post-Acceptance Stress & Misc. Banter

Just got the rejection, via regular mail. It actually made me strangely happy, because now I can commit unequivocally to the school that was my top choice anyway.

And on that note.... Brown course listings for next year just came out, and it feels like Christmas morning!

Oo I hope it's in my mailbox when I get home today. Exciting!

I've never seen a crowd so eager to get rejections before--it's a little funny.

Mostly because I'm pissed my Ivy league didn't send me a paper rejections... Really Princeton, $90 and you can't send me a letter?! :angry:

I applied to Film and Visual Studies. Their rejection timetables are probably different.

So now I've heard back from all of my schools, and can finally officially accept my top choice... but I am flying down for the campus visit TOMORROW! Strange/perfect timing... This is probably a ridiculous question, but should I accept now, and go into the visiting weekend with the program knowing that I will attend? Or should I wait until after the visit to formally accept?

I applied to Film and Visual Studies. Their rejection timetables are probably different.

So now I've heard back from all of my schools, and can finally officially accept my top choice... but I am flying down for the campus visit TOMORROW! Strange/perfect timing... This is probably a ridiculous question, but should I accept now, and go into the visiting weekend with the program knowing that I will attend? Or should I wait until after the visit to formally accept?

Would you gain anything by holding out? I'm not sure you would. Up to you, of course.

Magic 8 ball it.

Would you gain anything by holding out? I'm not sure you would. Up to you, of course.

Probably not! I know people who have been offered a bit more funding after visiting weekends, but since my other PhD acceptance is offering quite literally half the funding that this school has put on the table, it's not like I'm in a position to negotiate. Plus, the financial package is already generous...

I think I'm just getting slightly cold feet at saying "I do," but I probably will accept today...

Magic 8 ball it.

:D

I've never seen a crowd so eager to get rejections before--it's a little funny.

Mostly because I'm pissed my Ivy league didn't send me a paper rejections... Really Princeton, $90 and you can't send me a letter?! :angry:

I think it's becoming more and more common not to get a paper rejection. Maryland was the only school I applied to that sent out paper rejections; all the rest were electronic only. I'm still angry at Chapel Hill for not even having the decency to drop an email and let me know the rejection letter was up on the site - if I'd misplaced my PIN information and hadn't been able to log in, I would still be twisting in the wind wondering.

Ok, I need y'alls opinion:

What do you all think about turning down a top twenty school for a school outside the top 40 (according to USNW)?

However, the latter has better funding, is much more prestigious in my subfield (ie. top ten), and strangely, has a better 'reputation' because it is a top twenty undergraduate university.

I guess the (perpetual) question is, how important is USNW 'rank'?

Ok, I need y'alls opinion:

What do you all think about turning down a top twenty school for a school outside the top 40 (according to USNW)?

However, the latter has better funding, is much more prestigious in my subfield (ie. top ten), and strangely, has a better 'reputation' because it is a top twenty undergraduate university.

I guess the (perpetual) question is, how important is USNW 'rank'?

Where did you get the subfield ranking from? Is that also USNW? If so, your real question is not "how important is USNW rank?", but actually "What's more important, overall ranking or subfield ranking?"

....not that I have answers to either of those questions...... :unsure:

My instinct would be to go with the school that is stronger in your subfield (especially if the $$ is better) IF you are very, very confident that your subfield won't change (from what I hear, drastic changes in interest/subfield are endemic to most PhD programs). However, if you are open to the possibility that you may at some point over the next few years spontaneously transform from an Early Modernist into a Victorianist (heaven forbid! :o ), you might want to go with the school that has a better overall ranking/stronger overall faculty.

But, as we have all constantly been told, rankings mean nothing......except for when they mean something.

:wacko:

I've almost given up on trying to be logical about this process. There are simply too many unknowns, and too many factors that won't become clear until well into the program (i.e. how well do you "click" with profs/your cohort, etc? Faculty migration/retirement/etc) that I've given up on making a "smart" decision. Instead, I'm using time-tested randomization strategies (coin-flip, rock/paper/scissors, drawing names from a hat, etc) to develop a sense of what Fate wants me to do.

I am only half joking. :blink:

This was not a helpful post. :mellow:

Sorry. :(

This isn't exactly what you're asking, but I think it's related:

The consensus is generally in favor of factors like fit and funding rather than rank. And if your low-ranked school has a better reputation, I think rank is even less important. Any sense of their job placement rates?

I'm gonna just put out there the notion that rankings, at least inside the top 50 or so, mean nothing. For instance, Stony Brook is like 78th, but they are an extremely competitive program that only takes 3-4 people a year. You have to take a lot of things into account that the rankings don't. I think UNSW just rates "quality" or "satisfaction" or some vague and unimportant statistic like that. Unfortunately, you really have to do the research yourself by comparing websites, asking questions, and garnering general impressions from your mentors and colleagues.

Now, if given the opportunity to go to Harvard over CUNY, would I? Probably, but I don't think that has anything to do with the USNW rankings. And, speaking honestly, CUNY is a much better fit for my interests. It depends: does the perception of the top 20 program and its job placement statistics outweigh the appeal that the other program has for you?

Edited by TripWillis

Cheers, no it was helpful. Yes, the subfield rank was from USNW, as well.

To answer your question, there is absolutely no way I am changing my subfield -- it is just not happening.

To add another twist, I probably won't be able to visit the second school (with the lower general, higher subfield rank). I will chat with the professors, but not be able to visit the campus, meet the cohort, et cetera.

I might also note that a school's placement on those rankings is sometimes spot on. I have heard dreadful things about some of the ones outside the top 100, and had a particularly bad experience at a conference hosted by one of those schools.

Edited by TripWillis

Marlowe--my own personal hunch is that subfield rank/prestige might be more important than overall ranking... But like she mentioned, subfield rankings can change wildly. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to email the department of the non top 20 school and see if anyone's up for retirement/thinking of leaving in the upcoming years. Maybe (if you can) look and see where recent grads in your subfield have been placed from both schools. Maybe ask for grad contracts as well, so you could at least talk to some of the cohort, even if you can't visit the area. What school is it, out of curiosity? Someone on the boards might be familiar with it and be able to give you some information as well.

I'm gonna just put out there the notion that rankings, at least inside the top 50 or so, mean nothing. For instance, Stony Brook is like 78th, but they are an extremely competitive program that only takes 3-4 people a year. You have to take a lot of things into account that the rankings don't. I think UNSW just rates "quality" or "satisfaction" or some vague and unimportant statistic like that. Unfortunately, you really have to do the research yourself by comparing websites, asking questions, and garnering general impressions from your mentors and colleagues.

Now, if given the opportunity to go to Harvard over CUNY, would I? Probably, but I don't think that has anything to do with the USNW rankings. And, speaking honestly, CUNY is a much better fit for my interests. It depends: does the perception of the top 20 program and its job placement statistics outweigh the appeal that the other program has for you?

I appreciate this. The appeal of the top twenty (and really, both the top twenties - there is a second one in the mix) are that they are close-ish to my family and extended family. I also absolutely love both of the towns, the vibe, the lifestyle, whereas the second school (lower general, higher subfield) is in a pretty blah town.

Marlowe--my own personal hunch is that subfield rank/prestige might be more important than overall ranking... But like she mentioned, subfield rankings can change wildly. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to email the department of the non top 20 school and see if anyone's up for retirement/thinking of leaving in the upcoming years. Maybe (if you can) look and see where recent grads in your subfield have been placed from both schools. Maybe ask for grad contracts as well, so you could at least talk to some of the cohort, even if you can't visit the area. What school is it, out of curiosity? Someone on the boards might be familiar with it and be able to give you some information as well.

I am trying not to be too obvious about which school is which, but if you've paid attention it should be pretty clear.

I actually have a very good idea about what is going on in the department; the not-top 20 is hiring two more senior people in my subfield (one of which in my area). It looks like a really good deal.

Well, like all of you, I am totally stumped.

I am trying not to be too obvious about which school is which, but if you've paid attention it should be pretty clear.

I actually have a very good idea about what is going on in the department; the not-top 20 is hiring two more senior people in my subfield (one of which in my area). It looks like a really good deal.

Well, like all of you, I am totally stumped.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be nosy or anything--not my intention at all here.

You still have a few weeks until you have to decide, so many the time to mull things over will offer my clarity. Best of luck with you decisions!

You people are much better at being cagey about your choices than I am.

Frown.

LOL, no, you just got into schools that EVERYBODY wishes they had gotten in to. Therefore, people remember better.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be nosy or anything--not my intention at all here.

You still have a few weeks until you have to decide, so many the time to mull things over will offer my clarity. Best of luck with you decisions!

Oh, please don't feel that way. It has nothing to do with being nosy. Also, if I accept the non-top twenty, you could take my spot!

So I'm wondering if the importance of field ranking (QS-THE or USNW) for a Masters? Is it more/less? And how does something like rank or prestige compare with opportunities for teaching/field research? I'm not sure if it's very too early to worry about professionalization, but would it be a bad idea to give up those resources for a spot at a top-ranked school?

And I'm bad at being cagey, even when my signature doesn't give it away. Oh well.

Oh, please don't feel that way. It has nothing to do with being nosy. Also, if I accept the non-top twenty, you could take my spot!

I'm pretty sure we're in totally different fields, but thanks! I think we'd be cohort friends though, if it works that way.

Edited by Fiona Thunderpaws

marlowe, I'm having a similar problem. I'm between two schools and one, I think, is pretty well-known for Victorianism. Or, at least anecdotally, whenever I tell someone I'm applying for Victorianism, they say apply to IU. The other is higher-ranked and is offering a little bit better funding. But I would rather live in IU anyway, and I'm strangely attached. I get the vibe my mentors would consider it a stupid move to pick IU over Texas, though...