Post-Acceptance Stress & Misc. Banter

I made my unofficial decision today. I'll have to sort out the details later, but my brain feels so much better already! :D

ucla or uci?

and what criteria did you use to decide besides your heart? or was it really mostly your heart (which is ok with me)?

Edited by paulmilkesloones

ucla or uci?

and what criteria did you use to decide besides your heart? or was it really mostly your heart (which is ok with me)?

LA. Combination of empirical and imaginary factors lol. Pretty much all of my friends are down there as well as the jobs I'd like to have (TV/entertainment related) so it's going to just make me a happier person all around, which in turn will make me a better scholar. To experimentally test the validity of my choice, I actually flipped a coin (heads: LA, tails: Berkeley) and it landed on tails - which wasn't the variable I was testing. The important part was that as soon as it landed on tails, my immediate thought wasn't "ok fine", it was "best 2 out of 3". Heart wins :P

LA. Combination of empirical and imaginary factors lol. Pretty much all of my friends are down there as well as the jobs I'd like to have (TV/entertainment related) so it's going to just make me a happier person all around, which in turn will make me a better scholar. To experimentally test the validity of my choice, I actually flipped a coin (heads: LA, tails: Berkeley) and it landed on tails - which wasn't the variable I was testing. The important part was that as soon as it landed on tails, my immediate thought wasn't "ok fine", it was "best 2 out of 3". Heart wins :P

Are going to the welcome week?

I made my unofficial decision today. I'll have to sort out the details later, but my brain feels so much better already! :D

I'm so far from this it's not even funny! 

I'm still waiting to here from a good amount of schools so I'm wary about trying to narrow down choices just yet. I also haven't visited any place yet. So I can definitely say that I'm quite jelly of your peace of mind !

Despite my fear of flights longer than 2 hours, I'll be going to the UCLA welcome week as well so perhaps I'll see you there!

I'm still waiting to here from a good amount of schools so I'm wary about trying to narrow down choices just yet. I also haven't visited any place yet. So I can definitely say that I'm quite jelly of your peace of mind !

this is where I am.  I have 2 acceptances, and still waiting to hear back from other schools, so I'm not even sure how to start making decisions.  There are 2-3 other schools out there that I want to hear from because they'd be serious contenders if they were to offer me acceptances.  I'm already stressing about how to pay (and get time off from work) for visits so that I can make better-informed decisions.

I think your decision process was a good one, Keely -- listen to your gut.

this is where I am.  I have 2 acceptances, and still waiting to hear back from other schools, so I'm not even sure how to start making decisions.  There are 2-3 other schools out there that I want to hear from because they'd be serious contenders if they were to offer me acceptances.  I'm already stressing about how to pay (and get time off from work) for visits so that I can make better-informed decisions.

I think your decision process was a good one, Keely -- listen to your gut.

Yeah, even though I have two acceptances, and both to schools that I'd be overjoyed to accept, I just don't feel comfortable even making a mental decision until I hear from more of my schools. One in particular, would have a significant chance of swaying me in its direction if the offer was right. I'm already feeling conflicted about what I thought would be a very easy decision.

Okay even thought I literally JUST SAID I wasn't going to think about narrowing choices down... what do people think about Chicago versus Brown as far as 19-20th Century Am lit and race studies go? I understand these are broad categories, but I'm curious. 

During the application process I was too afraid to look at programs too closely, just because I didn't want to fall in love with any program (though it sort of happened anyway :P)

Okay even thought I literally JUST SAID I wasn't going to think about narrowing choices down... what do people think about Chicago versus Brown as far as 19-20th Century Am lit and race studies go? I understand these are broad categories, but I'm curious. 

During the application process I was too afraid to look at programs too closely, just because I didn't want to fall in love with any program (though it sort of happened anyway :P)

I'm not at all an expert in this, but I think Chicago is ranked higher in those areas.

Visit.  All of your admits have tremendous reputations and name recognition for the job market.  Regardless of your final choice, all of those names will ensure that your job application materials are taken seriously.  That means you need to figure out which school will allow you to create the very best materials that you can (diss, cv, publications, etc).  The only way to find that out is by meeting the people you will potentially be working with for the next years of your life.  Maybe you learn that a POI is actually a HUGE jerk and would stress you out too much.  Maybe you find out that one of your options has departmental benefits that the others don't (like being part of the Folger Consortium, having a guaranteed spot at the Cornell School of Theory, having publication/editing opportunities through an in-house journal, etc etc).

Long story short--you apply based on rankings and what you can learn from their official materials.  It's like looking at a dating profile.  Before you propose (ie- attend), you want to go on at least one serious, in-person date with your program to learn the things that won't show up on a departmental webpage.

Best of luck with your decision making process!

Not adding anything, just noting that Tybalt is spot on. 

Yup. It would be absurd to make a decision at this stage based nakedly on the US News lists, especially when they're within 10 or so steps of each other. It's not that rankings don't tell you anything, because they are totally a good guide to general reputations when you're first researching, but they're simply not designed to differentiate between, for example, #7 and #13 in any meaningful way for individuals. It really depends on what you envision your particular project being and who in the faculty can support it, what sort of atmosphere is going to allow you to thrive and do your best work - all the stuff on greekdaph's list on the "Questions to Ask" thread. Ultimately it's your project that is going to get you a job; reputation certainly matters for getting you in the door, but you're already in the door with both of those schools. So it becomes very individual at that stage, and visiting is really the only way to get a sense of those things and what matters for you being able to be at your best. Usually, after visiting, it'll be pretty clear, especially with programs that have cultures as different as Brown and Chicago (so I hear!).

Curious -- is this the order the rest of y'all are placing these things?

Not at all. Location isn't nearly that important to me, and for the most part, I don't think it should be. Of course, everyone has their reasons and specific circumstances, but I think it is more important to go to the right program over the right location. I am not saying that the right program can't also be the right location. For Keely, UCLA could be the right school for him/her. I am more interested in funding, fit, and to some extent rank. I am MOST concerned about where I will be able to produce the best work possible.

Not that I'm in the position to be making decisions (i.e. I don't have any choices...) but location is very important to me. A school can't be hours away from an international airport (and therefore big city). I need to be able to get there easily, too (i.e. without a car). My entire family is in Europe and if something happens (knock on wood), I need to be able to fly out ASAP. 

Yup. It would be absurd to make a decision at this stage based nakedly on the US News lists, especially when they're within 10 or so steps of each other. It's not that rankings don't tell you anything, because they are totally a good guide to general reputations when you're first researching, but they're simply not designed to differentiate between, for example, #7 and #13 in any meaningful way for individuals. It really depends on what you envision your particular project being and who in the faculty can support it, what sort of atmosphere is going to allow you to thrive and do your best work - all the stuff on greekdaph's list on the "Questions to Ask" thread. Ultimately it's your project that is going to get you a job; reputation certainly matters for getting you in the door, but you're already in the door with both of those schools. So it becomes very individual at that stage, and visiting is really the only way to get a sense of those things and what matters for you being able to be at your best. Usually, after visiting, it'll be pretty clear, especially with programs that have cultures as different as Brown and Chicago (so I hear!).

If Chicago has a reputation as super competitive, does this mean Brown has a reputation as being very supportive / friendly? Or is this about something else?

If Chicago has a reputation as super competitive, does this mean Brown has a reputation as being very supportive / friendly? Or is this about something else?

I know this has little bearing on grad programs, but for undergrad Brown has a reputation of being a little loosey-goosey and follow your heart in terms of research. If their grad programs are at all similar then it seems like it would be a very encouraging place (especially if you're into non-traditional research).