Final Decisions?

Okay, so, I thought it might be a good-ish time to start a topic where we can start posting final decisions. I know most people will be a few weeks out with this, but at least this way, we know if anyone else will be attending the same programs and can build support systems. (I realize I make it sound like we're going to war...) (Well... I mean...) I have nine more programs I'm waiting to hear from, so I won't be the first decisive poster, but I thought this should be a thing.

I feel like it's going to take me forever to decide because Oxford doesn't usually announce until March 20th or so. :(

Many people tell me I am crazy to keep Oxford in consideration now that I've gotten into Columbia and Brown. But I can't let the dream die so quickly...I've always wanted to study in England.

Unlike most American Ph.D. programs, teaching opportunities are not automatic at Oxford. But they are available, you just have to apply for them. Not everyone does this, and I think those who don't later run into trouble on the job market (especially in the States).

grimwig, i'm not sure what your research interests are, but if you're literary-theoretically-inclined at all i'd caution you to stay away from ox. a member of my cohort at cambridge that had done his ugrad at ox had a hard time getting up to speed because many ox professors still considers authorial intention to be a key element of literary study, whereas it has been all but discarded at a lot of other schools.

edit - columbia and brown also have european campuses (columbia's campus in paris is supposed to be spectacular)

Edited by deebee

deebee, to me one of the major attractions of UK programs is their consideration of authorial intention. I have never been inclined toward literary theory, and I am worried that in an American program it will be forced upon me more than I'd wish.

Edited by Mr Grimwig

oh then by all means, play on! i was trying to give you a heads-up. another friend of mine went to ox and loved their approach, i just made an inference from some of your other applications that seemed to be more theory-heavy schools (hopkins, brown, nyu).

did you apply straight to the phd at ox, or mlitt->phd? i might be able to offer some advice having just come out of that system, should you need any.

deebee, to me one of the major attractions of UK programs is their consideration of authorial intention. I have never been inclined toward literary theory, and I am worried that in an American program it will be forced upon me more than I'd wish.

Yes, I would think that would be the case for you at Brown...!

Another thing to be careful of at Oxbridge (although this might be right what you are after) is because alot of the profs are big names and its well, Oxbridge, there seems to be (from friends experience) a lot of Profs who are veryhands off in that you may not communicate with them much, you have to be extremely autonomous and you may deal with their assistants more than them. I am sure this is not the case for all, but from my own experience and that of friends who have been through that system, they said they found it quite difficult. With regards to teaching, from my (possibly limited) experience, it is definitely not guarenteed, you may have to fight for it, and you will not have the same level of support as you would in a US department. The level of teaching offered in North American Universities is one of the appeals for me, and why I am switching from a PhD at Bristol University to one in Canada. Obviously its horses for courses (ho ho), and maybe this is exactly what you are after - but it is worth investigating the teaching styles (which I am sure you have already). Good luck with your decisions - I am sure there isn't a wrong one :)

Mr Grimwig!

It's cool to hear that someone else exists who isn't inclined towards theory, but towards authorial intent and more traditional forms of literary study. I've always felt sort of... awkward... about it. Like the guy who's still showing up to parties dressed in 80's clothes... everyone sort of giggles and ignores you... *shudders*. My own knowledge of Oxford from my undergrad advisor (who did his doctorate there, he's welsh) is that it can be very traditional, but there can be some elements which are extremely progressive and somewhat hostile to one another. He waved me away from the English system for that reason; though I think he probably overstates the case to a degree, it's still worth keeping in mind. Apparently historicism is getting popular over there right now (in Renaissance/Early modern anyway).

I had a dinosaurs-in-renaissance-lit theory going at one point; just because the term "dinosaur" wasn't coined doesn't mean they aren't represented in the literature.

TripWillis--I'd like to hear more about your intentional fortune theory. I feel I could apply it to Renaissance lit--"I am fortune's fool." Is there an unpublished manuscript I can start quoting from? Or should I just paraphrase your post?

Too late. Fortune theory died 15 minutes ago. We have now entered the reign of Metaphysical Dartboard Theory. Each area of the board corresponds to a different principle about the curvature or angles of our universe and their relationships to a divine prime motor. Add x principle to y literary passage and expound. Solve for Edith Wharton.

Too late. Fortune theory died 15 minutes ago. We have now entered the reign of Metaphysical Dartboard Theory. Each area of the board corresponds to a different principle about the curvature or angles of our universe and their relationships to a divine prime motor. Add x principle to y literary passage and expound. Solve for Edith Wharton.

Is this a Ulysses reference?