Poll: What Work Experience Do You Have?

Cornell07

What best describes your previous work/volunteer experience?  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What best describes your previous work/volunteer experience?

• Business
    • Government
    • Activism (e.g. political or social campaigns)
    • Journalism
    • Law
    • Volunteer (e.g. Peace Corps, Teach for America)
    • Research (e.g. academia, think tank)
    • Other
    • None. Direct from college.

I checked government.

Another campaign nerd here - though I was only a volunteer for the Obama folks in Philly, I worked a Senate race in the '06 midterms. Since then, I spent six months studying in Morocco and a year and a half at the UN.

I checked government.

Another campaign nerd here - though I was only a volunteer for the Obama folks in Philly, I worked a Senate race in the '06 midterms. Since then, I spent six months studying in Morocco and a year and a half at the UN.

Hi Zourah, what did you do at the UN? Was it in NY or in the field?

I checked government.

Jeez, how many Obama Philaburbia people do we have here? I was out in R4 running a field office.

HQ - I'm a tech geek for DSS. Are you also past or current UN?

I'm currently working at my country's Mission, with political affairs. Been here since July, and I might try get into the UN after grad school

i voted "Business" and "Research". I've been working at an economic consulting firm for the past few years. So "Business" because it's the private sector, but "Research" for the nature of my job.

Jeez, how many Obama Philaburbia people do we have here? I was out in R4 running a field office.

Yeah, I saw that (here, or in another thread?) and smiled - I was busing down weekends to canvass (North Philly for primaries, University City and just west of there for the general). It made me miss the campaign trail.

Taught high school history for eight years. Grew up in Africa (17 years of my life spent on that continent), so naturally, I'm interested in foreign affairs...and have my opinions about how things should be done, too! :mrgreen:

2 years doing nothing after college (hanging out in New Zealand volunteering and teaching music). Went to law school. During law school did a lot of research for professors. After law school, worked at giant NY law firm in London and New York for 3 years practicing international securities law and mergers and acquisitions. Clerked for a U.S. Court of Appeals judge for 1 year. Currently teach legal writing at Brooklyn Law School and work in legal publishing. I put down law and government and figured that sort of covers most of that.

Sorry to join the party so late! After my first undergrad degree (in international business), I worked seven years in the mayor's office of a major U.S. city, focused on international trade development. I just finished another post-baccalaureate degree in political science before beginning my applications for grad school.

• 1 month later...

After undergrad, I went to Japan and taught English at an alternative high school in Japan with the JET program.

Upon returning to the States, I worked at a Japanese Electronics Company and tutored English to Japnese children.

:D

That being said, I am looking forward to returning to academia after 5 years in the 'real' world.....albeit a little scared...

Did Americorps City Year in Philadelphia for 1 year

Did Teach for America in the Bronx for 2 years

Taught in a new public middle school in Manhattan for 6 years

Teaching high school science in suburbia now.

Was a cooperating teacher for NYU grad students, Bank St. grad students, and Teach for America corps members on and off for several years.

I'm a short commute from Princeton, and don't plan on selling my (newly acquired) house or uprooting my (growing) family, so it's WWS or bust. (I got waitlisted by their mid-career MPP program, and they encouraged me to try MPA next time.)

Here's my pre-graschool story:

Graduated undergrad from Whitman College (top 40 liberal arts college) late May 2006

Jim Webb (D-VA) for US Senate - July 2006-November 2006

So glad he won - still my favorite US politician by a mile. Got involved just before the "macaca" incident; what an incredible campaign to pop your cherry on.

National Rifle Association, General Counsel's Office - November 2006-September 2007

Worked in the legal dept. of the NRA. It was incredible. I was the token Dem in the office and CERTAINLY in the building as a whole, but let me tell you - nothing will make you into a bigger believer in individual rights than seeing what our legal system can do to people whose rights it wants to infringe upon.

Denver Community College - September 2007-December 2007

Took Microecon, Macroecon, and Stats to shore up my grad application on the cheap

Ascender Software, LLC - February 2008-June-2008

Moved to San Diego and took the first legit job I could get. Healthcare / legal management software. Fascinating, but terrible workplace. Would've quit if I hadn't been laid off.

Guided Discoveries - July 2008-September 2008

Summer camp counselor aboard a 156' three-masted tallship. Most amazing job ever. Unfortunately, everybody gets canned come September.

Barack Obama Campaign - October 2008-November 2008

Worked in San Diego, CA and back home in Denver, CO as a volunteer full-time. Ended up getting invited to inauguration. Google "Patricia Stiles Obama" and check out the pics of my Mom introducing him in Philly a couple days before Inauguration. Experience of a lifetime - unfortunately, nobody in the business world cares.

Private English tutoring - March 2009-Present

Teaching English in Beijing, China. Spent months trying to find a job in San Diego, CA with no luck. Gave up and moved abroad while still applying to grad schools. Currently teaching English to pay the bills while trying to land a green energy/tech internship.

There you go, that's my story. I feel like I've got to do a lot since gradation, certainly more than the average schmuck. The most important thing I've learned is this: go to grad school as soon as you can. You're wasting time otherwise.

Jim Webb (D-VA) for US Senate - July 2006-November 2006

So glad he won - still my favorite US politician by a mile. Got involved just before the "macaca" incident; what an incredible campaign to pop your cherry on.

Another veteran of taking back the Senate!

Barack Obama Campaign - October 2008-November 2008

Worked in San Diego, CA and back home in Denver, CO as a volunteer full-time. Ended up getting invited to inauguration. Google "Patricia Stiles Obama" and check out the pics of my Mom introducing him in Philly a couple days before Inauguration. Experience of a lifetime - unfortunately, nobody in the business world cares.

Woo! Goooo fellow OFA alums!

Did Americorps City Year in Philadelphia for 1 year

Did Teach for America in the Bronx for 2 years

Taught in a new public middle school in Manhattan for 6 years

Teaching high school science in suburbia now.

Was a cooperating teacher for NYU grad students, Bank St. grad students, and Teach for America corps members on and off for several years.

I'm a short commute from Princeton, and don't plan on selling my (newly acquired) house or uprooting my (growing) family, so it's WWS or bust. (I got waitlisted by their mid-career MPP program, and they encouraged me to try MPA next time.)

SottedToad,

I am also interested in Mid-Career (MC) programs, including WWS's MPP. Did you apply to any other MC programs? I am thinking of applying to HKS MC/MPA. I have about the same number of years of work experience, and I fear that WWS or HKS will advise me to apply to 2-year programs. I think I may be too old for those 2-year programs (I am toward my mid-thirties) Would you mind sharing your stats (GRE, GPA...)?

It seems that most people here are early in their career; any other Mid-Career applicants?

Another veteran of taking back the Senate!

Man '06 was an amazing year in politics! Who did you work for? Did they win? :D

I was originally going to work for Bob Casey in PA but by summer he was up about 25 points over Santorum and I figured that race was already over (it was). I looked at Harold Ford in TN and Jim Webb in VA and more or less flipped a coin. Couldn't be happier about how that worked out: got to know Webb and got to spend time in the DC area :)

Six months financial services and three years international economic policy work for the government. I think I'd like to move to more traditional IR combined with some quant/statistics and management training to make the shift to consulting or think tanks. Or heck, stick with government. Its not so bad.

Man '06 was an amazing year in politics! Who did you work for? Did they win? :D

I was originally going to work for Bob Casey in PA but by summer he was up about 25 points over Santorum and I figured that race was already over (it was). I looked at Harold Ford in TN and Jim Webb in VA and more or less flipped a coin. Couldn't be happier about how that worked out: got to know Webb and got to spend time in the DC area :)

I was part of Team McCaskill from May onwards. Six longest months of my life, but it was so well worth it. I remember the macaca video well, though - it got a lot of play during afternoon downtime in our office... :)

PolAn,

I'm mid thirties, and starting a two year program...it's scary, esp taking out all the loans I'm going to have to take out, although my friend (an economist at the IMF) assured me it was a wise economic investment despite my advanced years :D

Then again, I love school for the sake of school, so I don't mind spending two years studying before I have to go try to find a job again...then again, I don't have a family to support. Your circumstances may be different.

I am also interested in Mid-Career (MC) programs, including WWS's MPP. Did you apply to any other MC programs? I am thinking of applying to HKS MC/MPA. I have about the same number of years of work experience, and I fear that WWS or HKS will advise me to apply to 2-year programs. I think I may be too old for those 2-year programs (I am toward my mid-thirties) Would you mind sharing your stats (GRE, GPA...)?

It seems that most people here are early in their career; any other Mid-Career applicants?

I only applied to WWS. I think your academic stats aren't that important for their mid-career program. I'm saying this because mine were pretty good (1600 GREs, 3.8 UG at a top school, 4.0 in a M.Ed., great LORs) and I was still waitlisted. Supposedly they have a fair number of MDs, JDs, and PhDs applying, so it's hard to stand out.

I'm not really sure how the other mid-career programs compare. I would imagine it all depends on how cheap/convenient they are.