Poll: What Work Experience Do You Have?

Cornell07

What best describes your previous work/volunteer experience?  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What best describes your previous work/volunteer experience?

• Business
    • Government
    • Activism (e.g. political or social campaigns)
    • Journalism
    • Law
    • Volunteer (e.g. Peace Corps, Teach for America)
    • Research (e.g. academia, think tank)
    • Other
    • None. Direct from college.

I only applied to WWS. I think your academic stats aren't that important for their mid-career program. I'm saying this because mine were pretty good (1600 GREs, 3.8 UG at a top school, 4.0 in a M.Ed., great LORs) and I was still waitlisted. Supposedly they have a fair number of MDs, JDs, and PhDs applying, so it's hard to stand out.

I'm not really sure how the other mid-career programs compare. I would imagine it all depends on how cheap/convenient they are.

Spotted,

You've some great stats. I am surprised that you didn't get in. What are your plans going forward, if you don't get off the waitlist? It seems that WWS's MPP is very competitive, and given the program's small size, I doubt I will make the cut. Your stats are better than mine, and my experience is not necessarily superior to yours. (what books/resources did you use to prepare for the GRE?)

Any other Mid-Career applicants around?

my friend (an economist at the IMF) assured me it was a wise economic investment despite my advanced years :D

out of curiosity, what is your friend's academic and professional background?

I love school for the sake of school too - typical liberal arts grad ;)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

VOLUNTEER/OTHER. I'm applying right now. I took two years off in the middle of my undergrad years to do a volunteer mission in the Dominican Republic. After finishing my undergrad years I worked in Peru for six months as an English teacher. I just came back from that and got a job as a bilingual Math and English tutor for K-8 Spanish-speaking kids. Overall 2.5 years work experience, but not public affairs oriented. Hoping that doesn't adversely affect my chances. Applying to MPA programs at GWU, USC, UI-Chicago, Portland St., UW, and thinking about Pitt, San Francisco St., and an international program at Denver.

Edited by cosmike10

I chose business, but would like to add a *, since I worked in the private sector FOR the public sector. I've essentially worked on international development and NGO stuff for most my five years' experience, though it doesn't really read that way on my resume.

Most of my work has been abroad in various countries in Europe and Africa, which has been fun but a bit disjointed - I'd love to really focus on one region and dig in deeper. I figured it was time to head back to school and made a career change into what really interests me, and to a job where I can live in one place for a long stretch!

• 2 weeks later...

Cornel, you need to put "non-profit" in that poll. I like the post btw.

OTHER: I've worked for a year as an teacher at a university in Beijing, then studied Chinese and worked part time for a while and interned for some social welfare NGOs. Then I worked full time for a major environmental NGO, spent two years in a management position for a social welfare NGO, and then started worked for a business consulting nonprofit and now work doing "sustainability" (the beautiful catch-all) initiatives for a big company. Still in China eight years on, still digging it.

Also mix in half a year of unemployment and time here and there dicking around.

Life ain't bad! If any upcoming US/Eurpean undergraduates are reading this, I'd say go abroad as soon as you can. Just go travel or teach ESL in a developing country, then get involved and you'll gain some new skills in perspective. It also puts everything in perspective and can focus your goals.

But it takes me a long time to get focused, so if you already know exactly what you want to do then definitely do it.

africagirl, PolAn good to see some other 30+ out here! What school are you in? I'm applying to 2 yr programs, with Columbia as my first choice.

Another one straight out of undergrad! I've worked for the local gov't and State dept in the summer/school year, but never for a longer period of time....

cosmike10, congrats! I'm interning in the RSO in the U.S. Embassy in Costa Rica this semester, and it's been great!

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Agreed -- this thread should be continued. I've worked for 4 years at the US Department of Homeland Security as a polivy analyst, and prior to that worked in Healthcare consulting (1 year, Adv. Board Company) and Performance Management consulting (1.5 years, DC think tank). With 6+ years of experience, I seem to be on the higher end of most folks on these boards, which is good since my undergrad record does me no favors. Ultimately, it seems that admissions committees have been willing to overlook my transcripts in light of my resume, GRE, SOP, and LORs. Would be very interested to learn what has tipped people towards applying to graduate school. For me, it was the next logical step in my career development. I will work 50% time through grad school, and will likely detail to CDC or USDA following my degree. Ultimately, local government management is very appealing to me, as is academia, which is why I chose the MPA over the MPP. I'm a big supporter of public education, so didn't apply to a number of the more "big" programs.

Two years working for an NGO in the Middle East dealing with gender issues, interfaith dialogue, and political participation. Currently working in Egypt supporting the transition to democracy.