Anyone in Historic Preservation/Planning?

mjej

Sorry to hear about that, but you didn't want to live in Ithaca, anyway, right? My wife & I visited there 2 summers ago, and while the area itself was absolutely beautiful, I just didn't like the vibe in town.

I have mixed feelings: relief of knowing something (my first decision), sadness at a door shut, thoughts of things I both liked and didn't like about the school, worry about my other decisions. It's bittersweet. It feels like a breakup. And I thought the ithaca weather sucked (coming from a new englander, nonetheless). Anyone else care to share where they've applied, heard back from, other thoughts and feelings?

I am applying to MA programs in HP. I actually didn't apply to Cornell because it was so heavy on the 'planning' aspect, whereas my career goals are geared elsewhere. After a ton of research, I identified 3 programs that were ideal fits, and applied only to those 3: U of Delaware, U of Vermont, and U of Maryland.

Does anyone have any idea how the UPenn and Cornell programs compare? I'm pretty sure those are my top choices.

I'm not an expert, and i don't know your goals, but aren't the Cornell & Penn programs very different in their content & focus? I'm thinking Penn is very design-focused, whereas Cornell was very planning-oriented. I could be wrong.

Has anyone looked at schools abroad for preservation? I know many of the ones I've looked at don't have deadlines until the summer, and I will probably end up in Europe anyway (born there). Any experiences or suggestions for schools there?

Yes, it would appear that way because it is "PennDesign" but the Historic Preservation program has different concentrations where mine would be Preservation Planning and I would only take one studio class (probably involving just drafting - the course description is vague on the requirements).

Oh, OK, that makes sense then. I guess I didn't realize Penn had different concentrations.

I'd have a hard time deciding between living in Ithaca & Philadelphia. Obviously, if you're looking for a city experience, it's an easy decision. You have to feel good about your living situation. That being said, have you visited the departments? For me, that is HUGE. Meeting the faculty (or a couple of them) is helpful, and if you can meet a couple of the current grad students to measure the "vibe," it can be invaluable. In my experience (I already did one Masters), current grad students will be very candid with you about +s and --s, especially if you speak with them without faculty around. Facilities mean a lot, too. I assume Cornell & Penn have top notch buildings, etc, but in the past, I've visited schools where I was so turned off by the department's facilities, campus location, grad student offices, etc, that I ruled out the school. But perhaps most important to me is funding. If I have a full tuition waiver & a sizable stipend offered at one school, but far less than that at another school, I think it's kinda silly to go into debt --- unless you feel VERY strongly about one school over another. This is related to your comment about being "guaranteed a job." I would think that's quite unlikely. I think your work experience, networking, & your personality are *far* more important than the school on your resume. Just my 2 cents.

I am having a hard time deciding between Cornell and UPenn. I am admitted to both schools now (MUP) but I am changing my mind every 5 minites. Cornell offers a $6800 stipend and the financial decision of UPenn has not come out yet. My undergraduate research interest is on urban regeneration and etc... Which one should I choose...

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't seen any signs of other Historic Preservation applicants for Fall 2012. Anyone else on this site in the HP field?

I am! I'll be attending the MSHP program at Columbia this fall - trying to find a good way to connect with the incoming class of HP and GSAPP students.. anyone have any suggests or find any groups on facebook or linkedin?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I will also be attending Columbia beginning this fall (MSHP)! I don't know of any groups at the moment, but I bet an e-mail to GSAPP admissions might prompt them to start a Google group for people to get in touch. Are you in NYC already?

• 9 months later...

I know this forum was from last year, but is anyone on here applying to Historic Preservation programs for Fall 2013? If so, where did you apply and have you heard back yet?

Just something I thought I'd share: http://www.aia.org/aiaucmp/groups/ek_members/documents/pdf/aiab088486.pdf I just skimmed through, but the charts comparing programs in terms of faculty and such are interesting.
This is an amazing report. Excellent source of information. Not my field, but passing on to my wife, who works with Architecture students finishing up their programs and deciding on entering the job market or going to grad school etc. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Cornell notifications will be out any day.   Open House is scheduled for Friday April 5.  If you are anxious, I expect that an email to the head of the program might elicit a response.

Anybody else get a phone call from Penn today telling them of acceptances? I'm just in such a daze because of the Saturday phone call!

Focusing on architectural conservation but deciding between Columbia and Penn (if it wasn't a prank call)...anybody else out there? I probably can't make the trek out to the Open Houses but I'm going to need to do a whole lot of research and thinking.

Hi jaycee -- I got a phone call too! I was shocked, and don't know if I even responded coherently :P I've been accepted at Columbia too, as well as NYU's Historic and Sustainable Architecture program. Waiting for two more decisions... feeling so stressed by this process.

Hi jaycee -- I got a phone call too! I was shocked, and don't know if I even responded coherently :P I've been accepted at Columbia too, as well as NYU's Historic and Sustainable Architecture program. Waiting for two more decisions... feeling so stressed by this process.

I'm going to send you a PM to chat more if that's alright! Congrats and glad to find some other people in similar situation :)