Which PhD Statistics program do I attend?

I have a pretty simple question. I've gotten into Michigan, Wisconsin, Duke, NC State, and Florida. All of which are great schools. My end goal is to work in industry. I don't know which topic in statistics I want to do research in or what kind of industry I want to get involved in after graduation. In your opinion, which school should I go to?

Anywhere but Michigan, so I can get in! (Kidding, of course.)

Seriously, though: Michigan, Florida, and Wisconsin are way more geared towards academia than NC State and (I think) Duke. According to phds.org, NC State sends 63% of its grads into the private sector, compared to ~32% for Michigan, Wisconsin, and Florida. They don't have stats for Duke, but if you check out their recent phd grads page (http://stat.duke.edu/people/phd-alumni-pages), it's pretty clear that a large portion of them end up in industry. The Research Triangle influence, I'm sure.

So, I think Duke is the obvious answer if you get in - it's the highest rated and industry-oriented. If you don't, my inclination would be towards NC State. It's a tad lower rated than Mich/Wisc, but it's still a fantastic school and there is literally no better place to get your foot in the industry door than the Research Triangle. At a place like Michigan, you will be working as a TA pretty exclusively. At NC State, you could have internships at the RT companies. Since the only thing you seem sure of is that you want to go into industry, that seems like a pretty big factor to me.

That said, NC State is only Top 20 while Mich/Wisc are Top 10 or 15. If that's more important to you than industry contacts, it's really up to you to decide between those two.

I understand that Duke/NC State would be better if I want to go into industry but (at least in the case of NC State) it feels weird going to a lower ranked school. It seems like Duke is both very highly ranked and has an emphasis on industry so that would be the best choice for me if I get in.

I understand that Duke/NC State would be better if I want to go into industry but (at least in the case of NC State) it feels weird going to a lower ranked school. It seems like Duke is both very highly ranked and has an emphasis on industry so that would be the best choice for me if I get in.

I thought you already got into Duke? If so, it's really a no brainer, considering it's highly ranked academically and overall, with great industry connections.

I think we're all in agreement on Duke - here's hoping you get in! :)

Do you have an advisor you could ask about the ranking thing? Or a connection in the industry? Basically, say "Would you be more likely to hire someone who graduated from a highly ranked program, or someone from a lower program with internship experience?" My suspicion is towards the latter - much like how if you have a very specific research interest, you're better off going to a lower school that is strong in that particular interest than going off rankings alone. But then, what do I know, I'm just a 2012 applicant like yourself.

Also worth noting: NC State is ranked higher than Mich/Wisc in the US News ranking. It's also ranked equal to Wisc in the regression-based NRC (though significantly lower in the survey-based one). The point is, I don't think you'd be shooting yourself in the foot to go there; the "prestige factor" is comparable.

But again, an advisor would probably be better equipped to answer.

When will people stop chasing the "Prestige". As has already been stated, look at student outcomes. A large department is bound to have an instructor who will be able to work with you on a topic of interest. NC State has good outcome measures (though the size might be off-putting - it was to me which is one of the reasons I declined).

Do you have an advisor you could ask about the ranking thing? Or a connection in the industry? Basically, say "Would you be more likely to hire someone who graduated from a highly ranked program, or someone from a lower program with internship experience?"

This is good advice, but I don't have connections in the industry. I could ask advisors/professors but I figure they would lean towards the theoretical programs because that's what they chose to do. I will still ask though.

I think what makes going to a less "prestigious" school feel weird is that I worked very hard during undergrad and it makes me feel uncomfortable going to a less prestigious school than another school that I got into. Also, I talked to my Dad about this and I think he made a good point. He said no matter where you go you can make opportunities for yourself. For example, if I went to Michigan/Wisconsin I can still search for internships and design my coursework/research to have a more applicable tilt. However, if I go to NC State I can't change the prestige of the school.

My gut is telling me, however, that if Duke doesn't work out then I should go to NC State. Hopefully I get into Duke, it will make things a lot simpler.

Since when are NCSU, Michigan, and Wisconsin less prestigious than Duke? US News and PhDs.org certainly don't suggest that, and there are a good number of well-known faculty at each.

You would be well-positioned for a job in academia or industry with a degree from any of the places you list -- I suspect the only reason so many Duke/NCSU folks end up in industry is proximity to the Research Triangle, not because of an industry-oriented focus of the program.

Edited by cyberwulf

Dear TrynnaDoStat,

I am a Vietnamese applicant. I am also being admitted to Umich on 16/2. Hoping that you can go to Umich. Hehehe.

Regarding your question, i have some information which may be useful for your cases. I am lucky to receive also RA funding from 1 Professor in Umich's faculty( Obviously, GSI funding is the main fund for all successful candidates; however, i may choose RA funding for sake of more free time to do research) and he told me many interesting facts about what you concern.

--- Regarding academic factor: If you consider the reputation of universities: I think that Duke,Umich and Wisconsin Madison are slightly better than others. My professor did his post-doc in Duke( he did his PHD in UC Berkeley) and he said that if we are considering about Statistics in Engineering or Social Science( if you are working in Biostat, you definitely should go to Umich. Its reputation in Biostat is undeniable), we should go to Umich. At this time, Umich invested heavily into these programs. There are numerous students finishing their PHD and did their postdoc or even became assistant Professor in top-notch universities.

--- Regarding industrial factor: I suppose that cyberwulf gave you a very accurate answer. Both students in Umich and Duke got a really decent job in industry( do not pay so much attention to the percentages). In 2008, there are two students working in prestigious companies, one of them is Abott. Others worked or did their postdoc in Academic Institutions, including Columbia, Armhest College, Upenn, Yale,.... Recently, i heard that Bank of America really prefers students graduating from the Statistics program in Umich. Each year, we have a decent number of students working there.

The only drawback of Umich was that it did not post the jobs of its alumni on the website. Luckily, after accepting the offer, we can access to the Alumni Network in Umich( that is what i heard) and we can know all the jobs of Statistics Alumni( Umich has a very strong Alumni Network). I can give you a definite answer that the reasons that more students in Umich pursued their careers in Academic Institution is not because they cannot find jobs in industry after graduation. Most of them would like to pursue their Academic career( if you prefer industry, it is easy for you because the Alumni in Umich have a very strong connection)

Overall, i suppose that you should choose these universities based on your preference, such as weather, campus,... All of these universities in general are almost equivalent( i do not know much about Florida and NCSU). I heard from some of my friends that Department of Wisconsin Madison had more biostatistics orientation. Therefore, if you do not intend to work in this field, you should not choose Wisconsin Madison.

The department of Umich gives you many options in many fields: Engineering( Electrical Engineering and Industrial Engineering, very strong), Social Science(very strong), Life Science, Biostatistics(very strong), Finance(strong),... Therefore, for your case, i think Umich is better option for you.

It is only my two cent. Hoping that my advice can give you more options when you choose your most preferable university.

Edited by minhnhat131289

I think what makes going to a less "prestigious" school feel weird is that I worked very hard during undergrad and it makes me feel uncomfortable going to a less prestigious school than another school that I got into. Also, I talked to my Dad about this and I think he made a good point. He said no matter where you go you can make opportunities for yourself. For example, if I went to Michigan/Wisconsin I can still search for internships and design my coursework/research to have a more applicable tilt. However, if I go to NC State I can't change the prestige of the school.

Yeah, I definitely understand that feeling, trust me. Just remember - what you worked hard for is to earn the best possible opportunity for yourself, and that can come in any form. Think about the opportunities each school gives you: prestige can be a good reason (it undeniably opens doors), but guilt never is. Passing up a school that fits better because you "owe it to undergrad self" or will feel guilty would be a mistake.

That said, Minh makes a great points about Michigan's interdisciplinary program, it's alumni reach, and the fact that the academic slant of its graduates is a matter of choice rather than necessity.

Sounds like, if you don't get Duke, you should do some soul-searching. Visit the programs, maybe contact some industry folk and ask. (Perhaps you could think of a few dream jobs and write to them saying "Hey, hypothetically if I want to work for you, which program would you prefer?")

Keep us posted! I feel so invested in your future now, lol.

In my opinion, you should think also of the fact that Duke is heavily Bayesian department, so is that suiting you? Secondly, the most important thing for a PhD is your adviser and his (sub)field of research..Consider the situation after 5 years - you need some recommendations for any academic position and they need to be good. However, given you suddenly decide to be in industry, NC State would have given you some internship for the time of your PhD. Florida is a theoretical department. I think Mich falls in-between theory and practice...

I agree with rockrs over his point. We should choose university basing on our preference and future adviser. I am sure that Umich is strong at both theory and practice. Each year, about 4-5 students get the internship at famous companies. Other students choose to continue their research assistant or teach summer courses. Last year, Umich's department also welcome Professor Xuming He, previous distinguished Statistics Professor of UIUC. He has really strong connection with the industry. There are other three to four distinguished Professors in Umich that also have really strong connection with industry as well, predominantly Professor Vijay Nair, president of International Statistical Institute or Professor Alfred Hero, mainly worked on Electrial Engineering,...

@bas_b: So far, I have only heard that University of Wisconsin Madison had a very strong preference towards Biostatistics. Most of their faculties( in Department of Statistics) worked on Biological Problems or Medical Problems. Therefore, if you are interested in other fields, such as Engineering, Social Science,.., you'd better consider other departments.

If you are interested in the applications of Statistics to Finance, Upenn is really a good choice.

How many of you have heard from NC State?

I was accepted in late January. I would call them if you haven't heard back.

Also, that "prestige" lasts for what, until you actually get to work? If you got into Duke I would go, because not only is it a well regarded campus but it also has a highly ranked program. If you do not get into Duke - who cares? You will still get an excellent education.