MFA Admission Replies - short and simple

csk

Anyone heard back from SAIC re acceptance/rejection to their painting program AFTER having his/her interview there?

Judging from last years postings in the results section of this website, SAIC contacted people via post for acceptances about 2 weeks after the interviews. I've heard of people hearing by phone from other programs, but painting seems to do everything by mail. At least, I hope that is still the case, as I haven't heard anything, either!

Applied to Fibers, Sculpture, Performance and Interdisciplinary programs

SMFA Boston- Accepted 3/8

MassArt SIM- Accepted 3/19

MassArt Sculpture- Interviewed 3/18 No word yet

CalArts- Interviewed 3/9 No word yet Edit- Rejected 2/23

SAIC Fibers- Interviewed 3/7 No word yet

SAIC Performance and Sculpture- Rejected

MICA Sculpture & Mt Royal- No word yet

After visiting MassArt, they are at the top of my list. I was really blown away by some of their equipment rooms and studios. MICA rates higher, but I haven't had the chance to visit yet and it is almost twice the price of MassArt.

I have to let MassArt know within 3 weeks if I want to accept, but I want to know what is going on with MICA (and possibly visit there) before I make my decision. Has anyone out there heard from Rinehart or Mt Royal?

SAIC is amazing, but I don't think I really want to be in a Fibers program if I have the option of being in an interdis or Sculpture program.

I think Massart is great. Do they have a good rep, in spite of being lower in the rankings?

MFA-Photography

SFAI - accepted

SAIC - interviewed, waiting (not holding my breath, they only have four spots this year.)

CalArts - rejected

Yale - rejected

RISD - no response (not a good sign!)

CCA - no response

When I was submitting my applications I was just hoping at least ONE school would let me in. And now as it looks like SFAI will be the only school to admit me, I feel it must be inferior. Is this normal? Now I'm doubting the quality of the school. Plus it's the least selective school I applied to.

Has anyone else experienced this weird confusion/regret?

man, I hear that!

I also got into only one school (CCA) out of the four I applied to, and for me it's a local school as I'm a long-time SF bay area resident. So I'm feeling a bit of lameness even though i should be grateful that at least that school accepted me. It's not as exciting thinking about living in the same exact house when the first day of school rolls around... Plus I feel like the other people rejected me but this school wants me... ah ha, they must have lower standards! Bizarre self-bashing psychology, I mean I woudn't have applied there in the first place if I had actually thought that it was a crappy program.

As for your situation Muffin, SFAI may be sliding down hills, but I know that their photo department is still respected so I wouldn't be too down about it.

good luck!

MFA-Photography

SFAI - accepted

SAIC - interviewed, waiting (not holding my breath, they only have four spots this year.)

CalArts - rejected

Yale - rejected

RISD - no response (not a good sign!)

CCA - no response

When I was submitting my applications I was just hoping at least ONE school would let me in. And now as it looks like SFAI will be the only school to admit me, I feel it must be inferior. Is this normal? Now I'm doubting the quality of the school. Plus it's the least selective school I applied to.

Has anyone else experienced this weird confusion/regret?

any news from Hunter anyone?

I couldn't take it any longer, so I just called the grad dept to ask when they would be notifying us, and how. The woman wasn't entirely specific, but she said we should hear by the end of the week (and most likely by phone if it's an acceptance) - and that she assumed rejection notices would too be finished by the end of the week, some email, some postal.

So basically it's nothing that I didn't already assume, but it eased my anxiety for a few minutes, at least.

Alright, here we go (I guess you'd call me "New Genres"):

Bard - Rejected

UCLA - Rejected

Columbia U - Rejected

Stanford - Rejected

American - Accepted

UC Irvine - Accepted

Carnegie-Mellon - Accepted

I'm deciding between UCI and CMU. I feel very blessed to be making such a decision, but it is very, very, stressful given that it would be better for my family to stay in California. Any thoughts or insights about either program, or the programs in comparison, please email me off-list.

Wanted to provide a quick update:

UT Austin - rejected via letter mid-February

Tyler Painting - rejected via letter on 3/12/09

Tyler Sculpture - no word

VCU Painting - no word

VCU Sculpture - no word

RISD Sculpture - rejected via letter on 3/17/09

Cranbrook Sculpture - no word

MICA Painting - no word

MICA Sculpture - no word

MICA Mt. Royal - no word

UMD College Park - rejected via letter on 3/24/09

This is fun!

Glad I found this board. I had a hard time finding information about acceptances/rejections.

I applied to SFAI (mfa, painting, low residency program) and have not heard. I'm inclined to take that as a bad sign as it seems many folks have received acceptances over the last few weeks. I'll still keep my fingers crossed just in case and post an update when I hear something.

Here's my update:

RISD: no

SAIC: no to MFA, still waiting to hear back about post-bac

CALARTS: no

Pratt: no

SFAI: accepted to studio program, waiting to hear back about the dual program

SVA: accepted- received acceptance letter yesterday :)

CCA: received a rejection letter today that in light of my studio defecit offered me acceptance to their BFA program (a little concerning considering that I hold a BFA in Painting and a BFA in Art History) Oh well

MICA: ?

Otis: ?

Art Center: ?

Carnegie Mellon: no

UCLA: no

UT: no

So, it looks like a will be deciding between SVA, SFAI, and possibly SAIC's post-bac. I know everyone seems to be against the post bac programs, but I just found out that a large percentage of SAIC's post bacs go into their MFA program. Any thoughts?

Also, does anyone know much about SVA? If I don't get into the dual program at SFAI then it will be no contest between SVA and SFAI, but if I do get into the dual program I might have to think about it. Does anyone have any advice?

hello, i guess i make "Sculpture"...ha

looks like i will be doing a "round two" next year...

UCLA - Rejected

UCSD - Rejected

USC - Nothing, assuming rejection

Otis - Accepted, but turned down offer (had free application waiver from grad portfolio day)

Illinois Chicago - Waitlist

U of Chicago- Accepted (No money, although a friend of mine received half-tuiton)

Northwestern - Waitlist

Hunter - Rejected (that one hurt!)

Bard - Rejected

Yale - Rejected

Columbia - Rejected

Final decisions almost complete:

SAIC FIBER: Accepted

MICA Mt. Royal: Wait listed until April 13th

VCU FIBER: Was on the wait list but denied via phone call yesterday.

SMFA: Accepted

MassArt 3D: Interviewed this week (Look good??)

Now we move on to the money portion of this process. Oh boy.

The list:

Moore (Studio Arts)-Accepted with funding

SCAD (Sequential Art)-Accepted with funding

MICA (Mount Royal)- Accepted with funding

MCAD-Rejected

SUNY Buffalo- Rejected

PNCA- Rejected

SVA- Rejected

OCAD (Art, Media & Design)- No response yet

MFA Sculpture programs so far...

OSU- nothing

YALE- rejected

RISD- rejected

UCLA- rejected

SAIC- interviewed 3/7/09 accepted 3/25/09 (email from housing arrived before admissions letter)

Cranbrook- nothing

MICA- nothing

Syracuse- nothing

VCU- nothing

mdradzu2:

If you don't mind answering, how did you find out you were wait-listed from U of Illinois, Chicago? By mail?

This is my first choice and I haven't heard anything at all yet. . . they're torturing me!

Other news for everyone waiting:

CCA: accepted

Mills College (SF): waitlisted

UCSD: rejected

UBC: no news

UIC: NO NEWS!