OMG Please read and tell me what this means!!

sparkle456

Hi all!

I just received this letter from U Conn Grad. What does it mean?

Dear Prospective Graduate Student,

We have been delayed with graduate admissions decisions while waiting for the new State

budget. Once the budget situation is clearer, we would like to consider your application for admission to the graduate program in sociology at the University of Connecticut. Please let us know by e-mailing Name.edu to let us know whether (a) you are still

interested in the program or (B) you have already accepted another offer.

Sincerely,

Name,

Title

Ahh!!!! I'm freaking out. Thanks for your help in advance.

Sparkle

It means they're struggling budget-wise along with everyone else and they want to be especially sure this year that they don't end up enrolling more people than they can afford. They're probably just trying to make sure you would be likely to attend if they extended an offer to you so they don't end up tying up slots that could be used to recruit other people. Reply quickly and enthusiastically!

SWEET! Yes, I did just that. I replied and said it was my #1 choice and that I could provide further information, interview, etc. if it would help aide their decision!!!

Thanks a lot for posting. It may seem like a dumb question but like I said reading into it A LOT!

I feel like I'm always the bearer of bad news. I don't mean to be.

Doesn't it say once they receive state budget info they'd like to consider your application?

Is there a chance they are just letting you know they are still waiting to review apps?

Seems to me they might just realize that many other schools have likely made their admissions decisions, and are trying to weed out those who may have already accepted offers elsewhere?

Just trying to give the opposing argument. You don't need to put me on the stake or anything ;-)

I feel like I'm always the bearer of bad news. I don't mean to be.

Doesn't it say once they receive state budget info they'd like to consider your application?

Is there a chance they are just letting you know they are still waiting to review apps?

Seems to me they might just realize that many other schools have likely made their admissions decisions, and are trying to weed out those who may have already accepted offers elsewhere?

Just trying to give the opposing argument. You don't need to put me on the stake or anything ;-)

That is exactly what my thought was!! That's why I wanted some opinions so no worries, I appreciate all interpretations. I'm thinking what you said is right b/c they asked a)have you accepted another offer or b)are you still interested. or whatever it said. i have a cold right now which isn't helping!!! :P anyways this helps.

the only thing is, they've had our apps for 2 months now so they must have an idea. and it WAS NOT a rejection so i'm still happy about that. thanks much!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey - you better read this before you even think of attending UCONN Grad School. Especially the part "We are also prepared to....closing the graduate school." It would suck to have it shut down after your first year. I'm sure much of their state budget came from finance - all those hedge funds sitting there...no more.

http://advance.uconn.edu/2009/090223/09022301.htm

Personally, I don't think graduate schools really do much... to me they seem like just another layer of bureaucracy between colleges and departments. At my university they seem like just another hurdle in the admissions process and they sponsor a few lectures a year - nothing really special. Almost all departments have a secretary that focuses on grad admissions anyway. I really don't see anything wrong with UConn giving departments greater autonomy in administering their grad programs.

Well, this is great...

No, the graduate school is important. I am staff at a graduate school where all of the extra work is put on the program...and it sucks. It's so disorganized. We don't offer any kind of help w/tuition and the faculty are less than great.

Oh, well I guess. This economy sucks!!!

Thanks for posting the link to the info., I wouldn't have found that on my own.

• 2 months later...
Lol - I only posted it and found out because I received a very strange PhD offer letter from UCONN that made me investigate what was going on financially. It is a shame. Luckily, I have another offer.

Um... crap. Crap crap crap. Can you please elaborate? I awas offered PhD in that school too, and accepted it. Didn't see anything weird though. 19.099$ plus full tuition waiver, pretty much what I expected...