Question for Revised Test Takers

I know that the difficulty of the second sections depends on how well one does on the first sections, but how difficult are the first sections? Approximately how many L4/L5 questions are there? And if one does very well on the first section, how difficult is the second section, per the same criteria?

I did quite well on my GRE (169V, 164Q) and I actually thought that both sections were disturbingly easy - so much so that I started panicking that I'd failed the test entirely (which is why, I think, my Q was so low - I spent too much time worrying and made stupid mistakes).

Don't try to gauge whether your second section is harder or easier, and by how much, because it may really mess you up. Just my $0.02!

I'm at the lab now but I'll log in to my diagnostic tonight (don't have my login saved on this comp) and post my ratios for you. :)

That seems to confirm what my hunch was based on information some people had posted about how many Q's they missed/their scores. Thanks for the nice response and I would def appreciate it if you could post that info from your diag report.

Edited by secondarydefinitions

Both sections felt about equally easy to me even though the difficulty level went up, so I would agree with coonske, don't worry if your second sections don't feel much harder! I think I would've done better on the second quant section if I hadn't been really tired and second guessing myself. Try to stay calm - I ended up doing MUCH better than I thought I was while I was in there. Here are my ratios and results from the diagnostic.

Verbal Section 1

Level 2 - 3

Level 3 - 14

Level 4 - 3

(2 wrong answers)

Verbal Section 2

Level 2 - 1

Level 3 - 6

Level 4 - 8

Level 5 - 5

(5 wrong answers) Final score: 165

Quant Section 1

Level 1 - 1

Level 2 - 2

Level 3 - 9

Level 4 - 4

Level 5 - 1

(I got 1 wrong and omitted 2)

Quant Section 2

Level 2 - 2

Level 3 - 3

Level 4 - 10

Level 5 - 3

(4 wrong, 1 omitted)

Overall score: 156

Sorry - I totally forgot about this!

Verbal: Section 1

2x Level 2 (both correct)

15x Level 3 (1 incorrect - whoops!)

3x Level 4 (all correct)

Verbal: Section 2

6x Level 3 (one wrong - sigh)

11x Level 4 (one wrong)

3x Level 5 (all correct)

Verbal Total Incorrect: 3, for a final score of 169

Quantitative: Section 1

4x Level 2 (one wrong - ouch!)

7x Level 3 (one wrong)

6x Level 4 (one wrong)

2x Level 5 (both correct)

Quantitative: Section 2

11x Level 4 (2 wrong)

9x Level 5 (2 wrong)

Quantitative Total Incorrect:7, for a final score of 164

I'm still upset about missing that Level 2 question :angry:

Hope this help!! :)

Edited by coonskee

Bwahh sorry! I misremembered my score - I only got 161. .____. I thought my score didn't seem as bad as I thought it had been when I first got it... sigh.

And thanks :) My memory is starting to make me question whether I should actually go or whether I'll fail out in the first semester :P

Edited by coonskee

Bwahh sorry! I misremembered my score - I only got 161. .____. I thought my score didn't seem as bad as I thought it had been when I first got it... sigh.

And thanks :) My memory is starting to make me question whether I should actually go or whether I'll fail out in the first semester :P

lol you should be PROUD of yourself for forgetting what you scored on a stupid/worthless test like the GRE and not obsessing over it like i do...

You're going to have a blast in New York.

Edited by TexasGuy

lol you should be PROUD of yourself for forgetting what you scored on a stupid/worthless test like the GRE and not obsessing over it like i do...

You're going to have a blast in New York.

Hahah thanks :P And I know I will - Columbia's actually my alma mater; i'm completely in love with the school, in case you can't tell :P