Waiting it out: Canadian Political Science Programs Fall 2012

icarus99

Yes, sorry, Carleton. Specifically the MA program.

Thank you for the re-assurance, bentharbour. That's what I hoped. Given what's been reported on this forum about McGill's timeline I doubt I will know unequivocally in 30 days whether or not to attend Carleton.

Well, one down, five to go!

I nearly applied to McGill's poli sci program but decided against it. Did you apply to Ottawa U? I would think that would be people's first choice for poli sci in Canada, although Carleton has a really good program for that with better professors too.

Edited by laviola

For pol sci? Just UWO. I was initially going to apply everywhere for poli sci but decided to apply for different programs at UBC, UWO (another one in addition to poli sci), Carleton and Ryerson.

I went to U of O for poli sci in undergrad.

I personally did not apply to U of O. I have heard great things about it from a friend who did a masters in English but moving to Ottawa is, admittedly, not my first choice, and I applied to Carleton because of faculty that had similar interests as me. I'm hoping for results from Toronto, York, or McGill as those are my preferred choices. That being said, I only applied to programs I would be happy to attend.

Can I ask why you didn't apply to McGill?

Edited by rechoired

^ I completely understand not wanting to move to Ottawa! That said, for poli sci, at least if you want to get onto the political scene, do research, or get into international affairs, Ottawa's definitely the place to go. Toronto and Montreal have opportunities but not quite as many stable ones, and as a student in Ottawa you get way more "ins" to stuff of that nature. Then again, I'm not sure about the calibre of Carleton's graduate degree programs besides journalism.

Toronto is Toronto (I didn't even bother applying, it's way too stressful of a school for me) and I've heard good things about York's program, but McGill would be an interesting one for sure. I've looked through their faculty and not a lot lined up with my interests, but the opportunities to research there seem rather good.

Can I ask why you didn't apply to McGill?

For the same reason I mentioned above (interests weren't really similar enough for me) and also because I decided I wanted less research in my degree, decided on something with more internship opportunities. I am also more focused on international politics and relations, and McGill didn't offer that concentration the way Western does.

Edited by laviola

Anybody heard from U of T yet? For PhD?

That said, I find the comments about not wanting to move to Ottawa funny to me. I love this city, and even though I got into York with a great funding package, I don't know if I can even fathom the idea of living in Toronto. So interesting how we have to match our lifestyle preferences with our university preferences, no?

Also, about the Carleton Political Science program: actually well-known with some pretty big scholars depending on the field (i.e. Political Theory, Parliamentary studies, etc). :)

Yes, absolutely. The perk of being in the capital offset some of my initial hesitations. I would be more than happy to attend Carleton for the reasons you've listed (and they have quite an interesting faculty). If I receive other positive offers I'm going to have a difficult decision in front of me.

I agree about McGill, the interests of the faculty seem to be less, er, wide-sweeping. I actually applied for the development studies options to try to take a more interdisciplinary approach in a department that I think could use some more interesting hires. I already live in Montreal, so there is a convenience factor for me. I understand the hesitation about Toronto completely; I think that my dad would be heartbroken if I attended UofT. They also don't tend to fund masters students. I'm originally from Toronto which is why those universities are particularly appealing to me (I can return home!). So many different variables in this process, amiright?

According to the results page, notices are out for UofT on Friday just in case anyone missed that...

Oh yeah, plenty of people love Ottawa. It's definitely a good place to be for school especially, because it's really perfectly located and there's enough to do to stay focused without getting distracted. Toronto's a much busier place, a lot more fun in my opinion, but school wise I don't think it would be as good. They're both rather small for me though (I've spent significant amounts of time in L.A. though, so my judgment of what is small is probably skewed).

rechoired, I was always under the impression that masters funding was relatively rare in Canada in general, though PhDs are different. Or maybe it depends on the program! That's something to look into, definitely.

Got a call on Friday (March 2) from York for PoliSci PhD. Admitted with generous funding package + additional internal scholarships. They called me because I had inquired earlier due to additional offers on the table. Also got accepted into UVic PhD a couple weeks ago, but will be accepting the York offer. Anyone who is yet to hear should call because they will be able to tell you, otherwise the letters will arrive in 7-10 days.

Carleton has a good program, few interesting 'Canadianists' such as William Walters (critical migration/security) and Yasemeen Abu-Laban, Christina Gabriel (immigration theorists). York is far more into Modern/Early Modern Political Thought, Critical/Marxist/Security approaches to IR, political economy of labour, and the comparative program is pretty strong.

McGill and UBC have strong programs, but boring research interests. Richard Price and Mark Warren are good at UBC, and their placement is pretty strong, but most of the research interests aren't my thing. McGill does boring sorts of practical ethics, public philosophy, political theory, multiculturalism and other Rawlsian garbage. Cheerleaders for liberalism. Their students do well though.

UVic is a great school but can only offer peanuts unfortunately.

I guess we both heard from York PoliSci Phd at the same time! However I'm not sure how likely it will be for me to accept York's offer. I do like the Marxist weight of York, but I have other offers who are just as good on the table that will make more sense for me and my family.

And yes, Rawls = garbage.

Edited by zoegrrl

I guess we both heard from York PoliSci Phd at the same time! However I'm not sure how likely it will be for me to accept York's offer. I do like the Marxist weight of York, but I have other offers who are just as good on the table that will make more sense for me and my family.

And yes, Rawls = garbage.

So do accept other offers :) you may open new positions for us :D ahah just a jock, congratulations to both of you for the acceptance.

Got a call on Friday (March 2) from York for PoliSci PhD. Admitted with generous funding package + additional internal scholarships. They called me because I had inquired earlier due to additional offers on the table. Also got accepted into UVic PhD a couple weeks ago, but will be accepting the York offer. Anyone who is yet to hear should call because they will be able to tell you, otherwise the letters will arrive in 7-10 days.

Carleton has a good program, few interesting 'Canadianists' such as William Walters (critical migration/security) and Yasemeen Abu-Laban, Christina Gabriel (immigration theorists). York is far more into Modern/Early Modern Political Thought, Critical/Marxist/Security approaches to IR, political economy of labour, and the comparative program is pretty strong.

McGill and UBC have strong programs, but boring research interests. Richard Price and Mark Warren are good at UBC, and their placement is pretty strong, but most of the research interests aren't my thing. McGill does boring sorts of practical ethics, public philosophy, political theory, multiculturalism and other Rawlsian garbage. Cheerleaders for liberalism. Their students do well though.

UVic is a great school but can only offer peanuts unfortunately.

Yeah, I called York PoliSci just few minutes ago. The Graduate coordinator of the program said that they just reviewed the domestic applicants and they will review international applications next week, most probably I will hear news next week.

Yeah, I called York PoliSci just few minutes ago. The Graduate coordinator of the program said that they just reviewed the domestic applicants and they will review international applications next week, most probably I will hear news next week.

Great, foucaulmania! I'm glad your wait will be over soon!

So do accept other offers :) you may open new positions for us :D ahah just a jock, congratulations to both of you for the acceptance.

Well, that's the point of not being sure :) I can't say for sure I will reject any of the offers I have at this point (and unfortunately, I think I won't be sure a for a while) I hope I feel confident enough to make a decision by next week! I haven't even heard from all schools yet though.

I'm not sure it will make any difference whether or not we accept York's offer if you're an international student. Last year they funded 2 int'l students, sometimes it is more. If we decline our offers they will go to other domestic students.

Yeah, I can understand, it was just a jock, your choice only depends on you...not on something else...

McGill does boring sorts of practical ethics, public philosophy, political theory, multiculturalism and other Rawlsian garbage. Cheerleaders for liberalism. Their students do well though.

As a cheerleader for Rawls, sounds like the place for me.

Did I really just see somebody write "Rawls = garbage?" Oh man...

Edited by trudeau

Western are driving me crazy, I'd like to know if they accepted or declined! Haha. To be honest I'm not sure I'll go with poli sci anymore but I'd like to be able to have that choice. Did anyone else apply there?

Toronto IS a lot more fun. Vancouver and Montreal are pretty great too; Vancouver because it's beautiful and Montreal because of the punk and metal scene. Ottawa is a great time, but pretty small and full of bureaucrats and other yuppie young professionals.

Toronto's cool but I'm not sure I'd wanna live there full time (although.. it's definitely better than Ottawa just for the fact that there's more to do). Never been to Vancouver yet but it's got a West coast feel and I prefer that to east coast. Montreal is amazing though.

Ottawa is more conservative too. There are a lot of hipsters or lefties on campus, but a lot of students are more conservative than at other schools, and the people that work in Ottawa are quite conservative (although being someone from Ottawa, I don't think people from the suburbs are necessarily like that).

Edited by laviola

Rawls IS garbage. And if you disagree, you definitely won't fair well at UVic. Popularity/notoriety do not translate directly into nuance or sophistication. Let me guess, you also enjoy Habermas...

You are speaking very sketchy. I do not know how a person who was admitted to phd program in political science can be such brave by saying that Rawls is garbage. the formulation of veil of ignorance by Rawls is very important in the sense of preparing new constitutions and also in the sense of negotiations....

Indeed, Habermas is also very important and I believe that you did not read Between Facts and Norms. I assume that you know about Rawls and Habermas from other books not from their own books...

Oh yeah, plenty of people love Ottawa. It's definitely a good place to be for school especially, because it's really perfectly located and there's enough to do to stay focused without getting distracted. Toronto's a much busier place, a lot more fun in my opinion, but school wise I don't think it would be as good. They're both rather small for me though (I've spent significant amounts of time in L.A. though, so my judgment of what is small is probably skewed).

rechoired, I was always under the impression that masters funding was relatively rare in Canada in general, though PhDs are different. Or maybe it depends on the program! That's something to look into, definitely.

Sorry for the late response. I was waiting for my offer from Carleton to back-up what I wanted to say. Definitely depends on the program, but at the masters level the funding tends to be more TA/RA positions. Carleton's offer to me is the equivalent of a fully funded masters (though maybe not living as comfortable as some would desire) - so it is possible! I am under the impression, though, that Carleton tends to be quite generous in that regard.