PhD Tuition Funding Deadline to Respond

md99

I would like to ask for advice, sentiment, etc.

I have been admitted to 2 public health PhD programs for Fall 2012. Both are good programs and I could see myself going to either one.

The problem is...

The 1st school has admitted me with tuition paid for, while the 2nd has admitted me with the possibility of funding. The 1st had requested that I give them my answer by March 1st (I have since asked for an extension and they granted me until March 6th), or run the risk of losing funding.

There is no way the second school is going to be able to tell me about funding by next tuesday (the 6th).

From what I can tell, this contradicts the Council of Graduate School's (not legally binding) agreement... (http://www.myacpa.or...ionJune2005.pdf)

I think my hand has been forced and I will accept to the 1st, knowing I may recind my acceptance. I really don't want to do this, but I don't think I have a choice.

What do you think?

Is anyone else in this situation?

Here's an updated version of the April 15th resolution.. http://www.cgsnet.org/ckfinder/userfiles/files/CGS_Resolution.pdf

But to answer your query, I think that you are probably better off going with the first school since funding is confirmed and sounds like a "full funding" package. I don't like taking too many chances.... so there's my 2 cents. Which school do you REALLY prefer?

Thanks for the updated Doc.

The schools are literally next to each other on some of the school rankings. All things considered, and tuition waved at each school, I would probably pick the 2nd.

Over the last couple weeks, going through hypothetical decision making, on any given day I could have chosen either. Probably the 2nd more than the 1st.