Anyone considering the Chicago MAPSS offer?

sharalaxp

hey there,

i have gotten a string of disappointing news for my cultural anthropology phd applications.

today, i got a full-tuition masters offer from university of chicago (instead of being admitted to the phd program)... this definitely doesn't cover living costs for the year that i will be spending studying, but my parents are so desperate for my situation that they'll probably cover that for me...ha.

anyways, i am still painfully waiting to hear back from 3 more schools (but from what i have seen on this forum, i should have heard a long time ago if i was accepted, so i'm going to rule those schools out mentally..for now).

BACK TO MY MAIN POINT (sorry for the long intro),

is there anyone who is in a similar boat here?

Edited by mhchoi89

I applied directly to MAPSS and got half tuition. I'm unsure whether it's worth it or even possible for me to attend because I'd rather not take out more loans (already in massive debt from undergrad) as much as I desperately want to enroll. I'm honestly torn in two over this, since it was my first choice and I doubt I'll actually get any funding from the other two MA programs I applied to.

But with a full tuition offer, that is fantastic. I did my undergrad as an Anthropology major at UChicago and have heard on the whole positive things about the program from MAPSS students, especially if you want to give a try at Anthro PhD applications after getting an MA (that was my hope). However, if your heart was set on a UChicago PhD, just a warning: doing MAPSS will hurt rather than improve your chances of getting into Chicago for PhD after MAPSS. Or so I've heard from one prof.

Anyway, congrats and I would keep MAPSS in mind if the other programs you're waiting on don't turn out.

I got rejected from Chicago for the Anth PhD too (also cultural) but was offered the MAPSS and half tuition. I posted up a thread in decisions, decisions if you want to see what some other people said about it; some good, some not to good.

I'm not considering the MAPSS since I got into a PhD with full funding at my top choice but, if I had not gotten in there, I would consider it. I hear it's tough and pretty intense,.. but it IS U of Chicago after all ;)

I'm not considering it because I have at least one funded PhD offer and they only offered 1/3 tuition.

Fully funded it sounds like a decent option, but I wonder how much it would help you for the 2013 application cycle (references, etc.) or if you'd have to wait until 2014 to reap the rewards. Placements look pretty good though.

Also just got a full tuition offer (I applied to psych phd though). I have to say, this is a nice fall back if my other phd offers don't come through. I've heard mixed things about the program, but I feel like this program would strengthen my phd applications for the next time I apply more than an additional year of work experience would (I've already worked 3 years out of undergrad as a study coordinator in my field). All in all, I'm excited to get this offer.

mhchoi: I would take a phd offer if you get it this cycle, but if not, I think this program could be an asset to help launch you into phd's in the future.

I was offered admission to MAPSS with full tuition remission after being rejected from a doctoral program. By now I've been accepted by two programs that I very much like (with full tuition remission and a stipend) and still have a chance for hearing from some of my top choice programs. Ideally, I would defer admission to one of those programs I've been accepted into and go to Chicago for the 2012-2013 year. However, I'm not sure whether it's doable. Before making that decision, I'm planning to visit UChicago in April *and* contact the schools that offered me admission about that deferring option.

Is anyone considering going to the MAPSS Campus Days?

As a former MAPSS alum this is sort of a sore spot. There are definitely pro's and con's:

Negatives: It's really challenging, you'll receive less academic support than you're promised (cross your fingers for a preceptor who is awesome), and getting a job with a MA in social science is... difficult to say the least. There is truth to the school motto "where fun comes to die." I was fairly warned the first day - I was told they would "break me down to build me back up in their image" but at times it was really trying haha.

Also, the debt is no joke. The job market for people with MA's is pretty scarce so unless you have other practical skills, parents to live with after, or some sort of backup plan until you're back in school, I'm not sure I'd consider it.

Positives: Honestly, I've never learned so much in my life. I came from a top tier school too! It really prepared me for further graduate work, made me focus, and gave me the tools I needed to guide myself through a huge research project.

Also, the program is good at what it does - gets you to the next step. For me, honestly, it was worth it. I now have a fully funded offer to my top school, working with dream faculty advisors. Almost everyone in my program who I was close to has moved onto other fully funded offers. It just depends on what you're looking for. (Heads up, Columbia doesn't accept MAPSS grads to try to promote their own MA program so if you wanted to go there... well...)

If you want to know more about it feel free to PM me.

From what I've heard from actually reputable sources (I'm super skeptical of gossip like this typically), Columbia tends to promote their own MA program over others so MAPSS students are unlikely to be accepted. I hope I'm wrong, but from what I've heard and from what I've learned from my cohorts experiences... it's pretty accurate. Bummer though. It has nothing to do with the quality of work, whether it's completed on time, etc. It's all about money.

• 7 months later...

Decaf and the rest,

Thanks for that info on Columbia! (I suppose I will have to rely on undergrad recommenders and ask them not to mention my MAPSS study.)

Does anyone know whether that is true for NYU as well? They offered me entry into their Masters earlier and I declined telling them I got an offer at MAPSS and I was wondering if they were the same way and whether it would be worth while to reapply for their PhD.

A couple of pieces of advice MAPSS offers on applying to PhDs seems to be based on dubious presumptions and I was wondering if anyone confirm to me that they really do not make sense:

1) first, they tell you not to apply to more than one discipline (because the admissions committee will somehow know you are doing so and they will think you cannot make up your mind--though I wonder how they would, particularly if they are departments at different universities--)

2) second, they say not to apply to more than 10 schools because the admissions committees will be able to find out from your GRE score reports and think oh he will get in somewhere...(but I don't see how that could be the case if you report them to two disciplines in successsion--a better argument, given by one my recommenders, is to apply to less schools if you are taking the same approach to each school. But if you have time to thoughtfully tailor your application to each school, from the stand point of probability theory I don't see why you are not increasing your chances by aiming for more potentially good fits.

One of my recommenders has sat on admission committees at Harvard and Berkeley and agrees with me in both of these matters, but I thought you might have an inside word on either of these matters.