I applied to Phd programs in History with no luck, now I want to try Poli Sci Phd programs. What do I need to know?

I applied this cycle to Phd programs in history (US diplomatic history), but the results were not what I was hoping for. I am looking to apply next cycle for Phd programs in poli sci. What do I need to know? How's the job market? Especially the job market in IR?

I have a BS in Economics and a MA in History, 4 years of Arabic, reading knowledge in French, and an article in a top journal on the international history of the Cold War. I've been prepping my application for history programs, but what kind of information do I need to prep my application specifically for Political Science Phd programs? Thanks.

I think history & econ can make a great background for polisci.

If you've never taken a class in this area, or haven't in a long while, maybe read an introductory textbook on IR or International Politics to familiarize yourself with the terminology, etc. Show your knowledge in your SoP. If you can, perhaps try to do something to show your dedication to the field, like maybe working as a research assistant (this could also get you an LoR from someone in the field, which helps). This isn't my subfield so I'm afraid I can't be of much help... good luck!

you need to prove that you can do quantitative research apart from your demonstrated qualitative research skills and you need to have recommendations which can speak to your political science research abilities. Just be aware that getting admitted to a poli sci phd maybe even more difficult than getting admitted to a history PhD but as far as I know the job prospects are somewhat better.

^ is not true, or more accurately, it is not necessarily true. You don't necessarily need to prove you can do quantitative research, though you would if those skills were relevant to the body of research in which you want to work. Your main obstacle, as the previous sentence suggests, is that you need to convince an admissions committee that you have a carefully considered set of research interests that fall squarely within political science, and that you are familiar with the relevant literature. This will also take finding letter writers who can support your political science application - and those will need to be different letters than those you submitted for history applications.

Thanks for the input. Since my undergraduate degree was in Econ, my transcript clearly shows that I can do the math, so I'm not worried about that. My a portion of my published work engages some IR literature (I argue against the utility of realism to account for a specific foreign policy decision). And I do have a recommendation letter writer who is a Political Scientist (I took 2 grad courses with her), but is a political theorist, not a quant or IR person.

I think it may be in my interest to take a IR course this Fall before applying. Sound good?

Uh, what caused you to shift to a completely different field? The two fields might not be as close as you may think. What are your research interests?

The job prospects are better, I can do the math, a school that is in a great location for me has a number of political scientists that I would want to work with. My interests are in international relations between the US and the Middle East, particularly in how NGOs and states interact in the foreign policy field.

I do not think IR and History are completely different. They do have strong connections in subfiled such as diplomatic history. I have an MA in IR and have successfully got in a PhD program in History with funding. So cooperstreet, if it is what you really want, go for it!

Why don’t you try to apply for History again? Not everyone gets in the first time, and this will give you a chance to make your application "better"

Personally, I have wanted to go for my PhD in poli sci for years. I wouldn’t change my interest to, for instance, econ or history, if I were to not get in to a poli sci program the first time around.

Think about the number of years you will be in school, and what it is that you want to do with your PhD after your done. What if you realize, after a year or two, that you just don’t like poli sci that much.

Yes, history and poli sci are similar in some ways, however, they are two separate fields for a reason. As a undergraduate history and poli sci major, I can tell you that they are quite different, not just in the material taught but also the way that your expected to think, write, and research.

Just don’t rush into such a huge decision simply because you were rejected in your first application cycle.