Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

Yay!! Congratulations to everyone! On two side notes: I wonder if there is a greater percentage of female applicants than male ones on this site. :-) Secondly, speaking of people searching for peers in their field... are there any environmental historians on here?

Yes.

Are you saying you are an environmental historian or more humorously 'yes, of course, there are environmental historians?'

If so, have you been to ASEH? I recall sitting at the same table with a woman from Princeton at the last dinner. 

Re: conferences.... in my field (maybe it's just me) we actually have "nicknames" for people based on their current projects in order to remember who they are and where they work.  I'm not sure how much I *love* mine but it certainly gets me motivated to keep moving forward and get started on something new!  I do roll my eyes when people make references to my adviser because it sounds like it's all she does, which is not necessarily true.  But it's unique and catchy.  So there. :)

Does anyone have any information on filing for FAFSA as an independent student? Obviously I don't make a lot of money because I only hold a part-time job. Is it advantageous to only report my earnings or should I include my mother's in this? Any help is appreciated!

Oh and we're under a foot of snow and more coming down. I'm delivering food tonight until 10pm then going sledding in the fresh snow to take my mind off the application season :D 

Just file FAFSA anyway and consider yourself independent if your parents aren't claiming you as dependent.  You'll get approved for loans and such even if you don't have much of income or/and assets.  Consider it as a formality.

I study East Asian history as well. I will PM you. Us EA Studies Folk have to stay together!

There are more of us on this board then you would expect. :P  Sadly very few people post on the EASIA topic, hence why I tend to hang out here instead.

Edited by kyjin

Secondly, speaking of people searching for peers in their field... are there any environmental historians on here?

I wouldn't primarily identify as an environmental historian, but I do incorporate urban environmental history into my work. So perhaps Princeton can now have 1.25 female environmental historians. ;)

Edited by lafayette

Just file FAFSA anyway and consider yourself independent if your parents aren't claiming you as dependent.  You'll get approved for loans and such even if you don't have much of income or/and assets.  Consider it as a formality.

Does anyone have any information on filing for FAFSA as an independent student? Obviously I don't make a lot of money because I only hold a part-time job. Is it advantageous to only report my earnings or should I include my mother's in this? Any help is appreciated!

Oh and we're under a foot of snow and more coming down. I'm delivering food tonight until 10pm then going sledding in the fresh snow to take my mind off the application season :D

As a grad student in the upcoming year, you're automatically considered independent. The form will only ask for your information, and you should only report your income, assets, etc. Whether or not your parents claim you as a dependent doesn't matter. As long as you're a grad student, the Dept of Ed sees you as independent.

Hi heulwen, I received the same email and I am wondering the same. Did you friends actually have a proper interview? I am wondering if I should prepare...

Hi Sophieka, yes, my friends had proper interviews but I'm thinking we might have a different situation here. According to the results page some people who got the same e-mail were offered admission on the phone. So this might actually be good news for us.

I'm still nervous though. I'm supposed to have this talk on Wednesday.

Wow, I just got into Indiana!!!!! The weight off my shoulders feels so good!

Congratulations!!! :D

Hi Sophieka, yes, my friends had proper interviews but I'm thinking we might have a different situation here. According to the results page some people who got the same e-mail were offered admission on the phone. So this might actually be good news for us.

I'm still nervous though. I'm supposed to have this talk on Wednesday.

Just PM'd you! :)