Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

With respect to Harvard, the deans meet for graduate admits next week.

Are there any other medievalists out there? I haven't heard a peep from anywhere, minus a rejection letter from UMinn, and the silence is deafening. 

Hello, I'm new to the forum! I'm a medievalist and so far I have only heard from Minnesota too; a rejection. The silence from all my other schools is total agony. I just want to find out, one way or another!

Hello, I'm new to the forum! I'm a medievalist and so far I have only heard from Minnesota too; a rejection. The silence from all my other schools is total agony. I just want to find out, one way or another!

What's your interest? Mine's gender & sexuality (high to late).

The silence is pretty terrible, isn't it?

What's your interest? Mine's gender & sexuality (high to late).

The silence is pretty terrible, isn't it?

Wow it's like we're twins. My interest is almost the exact same... medieval women, sexuality, and marriages practices, high-late. 

And you're right, the silence is deafening. Every day without another rejection letter is a good day, but I am getting desperate just to hear any news.

Hi I'm new here!  Is anybody else nervously awaiting the results of the Georgetown meeting that's supposed to be tomorrow?

Yes! And worried that the results won't be emailed until next week!

I am also waiting on Georgetown, and, I am sorry to say, am quite confident that results will not be sent out until next week. I hope I am wrong. I don't have any insider information about it. That just seems like the way things go in this process.

And, for anyone interested, I have been told that the University of Colorado - Boulder is having the same meeting today to make decisions and that, if things go well, decisions will be sent out next week. I think this is reliable, so that makes two of my applications that will be decided upon today. All I can do is sit and wait. It makes for long weekend.

Finally got my Yale rejection! Oy vey. I still think it's awful of them (and other schools) to leave such a huge gap between acceptances and other decisions.

It's awful, but maybe they need the time to decide on who's waitlisted vs. rejected? And I know if I were accepted somewhere, I wouldn't want to wait for that whole process to be over...just think, you could still be waiting on Columbia.

Edited by czesc

Wow it's like we're twins. My interest is almost the exact same... medieval women, sexuality, and marriages practices, high-late. 

And you're right, the silence is deafening. Every day without another rejection letter is a good day, but I am getting desperate just to hear any news.

Well I tend more towards Gender & Sanctity, but that's crazy! Good luck!

I've just had a conversation with a professor from the CUNY History Program. She explained to me the funding scheme, asked me if CUNY was my top choice (I said yes), and said she'll call me back again later. What the heck just happened??!!! Did I blow it???

Yes! And worried that the results won't be emailed until next week!

I am also waiting on Georgetown, and, I am sorry to say, am quite confident that results will not be sent out until next week. I hope I am wrong. I don't have any insider information about it. That just seems like the way things go in this process.

And, for anyone interested, I have been told that the University of Colorado - Boulder is having the same meeting today to make decisions and that, if things go well, decisions will be sent out next week. I think this is reliable, so that makes two of my applications that will be decided upon today. All I can do is sit and wait. It makes for long weekend.

Ugh I know!  I'm hoping that they know how eagerly we are awaiting results and they'll send their decisions ASAP!

I've just had a conversation with a professor from the CUNY History Program. She explained to me the funding scheme, asked me if CUNY was my top choice (I said yes), and said she'll call me back again later. What the heck just happened??!!! Did I blow it???

It sounds like you said exactly what you needed to and that you should probably expect some good news.

For those waiting for Georgetown: Once the committee has made decisions during the meeting the POI normally emails the successful applicant. So it's quite possible you could hear from your POI tomorrow. Good luck!   

But why call me second time? She said she'll have to talk to the graduate committee and then call me again. What is it she's going to discuss with them? Did this happen to anyone else? I hope I didn't say anything foolish. I was too excited.

But why call me second time? She said she'll have to talk to the graduate committee and then call me again. What is it she's going to discuss with them? Did this happen to anyone else? I hope I didn't say anything foolish. I was too excited.

This can only be a good thing! I doubt they would initiate contact like this to a candidate they did not want to admit. Hang in there!  :)

This can only be a good thing! I doubt they would initiate contact like this to a candidate they did not want to admit. Hang in there!  :)

Thank you, optimusrhyme. I hope you are right. I feel weird about this because I witnessed many and lived through one nerve racking interviews process which ended up with an offer with no funding. The longer negotiations get the worse your condition is - that's what it felt like then. But anyway... I'll wait and see as everyone else :)

Well, we have Bloodbath #3 of the season - first Berkeley, then Northwestern, and now Yale.  It was a longshot for me, and I am fine with not getting in.  I'm just relieved to finally know something.  Other folks aren't taking it as well on the results page, and it's kinda disturbing O_o

Don't forget the victims of the Great Princeton Massacre of 2/12!

Speaking of which -- I know I have 0.0001% chance of being taken off their waitlist, but anyone have any tips for making that 0.0002%? Should I contact the department and ask explicitly about my chances? Email every POI (but which and what if someone else was actually more interested in my app? I've heard this process can be strange and that it could be that this other person actually promoted by application)?