Confirming receipt of an offer?

fenderpete

Hey all,

I just got my first offer this morning. Do I need to send in any sort of confirmation for courtesy or not?

I want to thank them for the offer but also think there'll be a huge deluge of other people asking for status updates on their applications.

Let me know what the protocol is!

Thanks!

If I get the offer by e-mail, I usually contact the graduate assistant thanking for the offer and maybe add some question I might have about the program (or something like confirming the deadline for acceptance). Not everybody does this, but I think it's polite and they usually reply to me with a nice you're welcome and the answer.

By phone I thank right there on the spot. By mail I just don't do anything. Just get back to them with an acceptance or rejection later.

So I guess there's really no protocol. But the times I've done this, I began contacting grad assistants early on and they were all very helpful, so I think thanking them is the least I could do.

I contacted my POI after receiving the acceptance, but I don't know what the standard protocol is (if there is one) for fields where prior contact with POIs is not expected or encouraged.

It was just an automatic "Your decision is available on the AppYourself website" email. I have contacted POIs and the Program Coordinator before, but was kind of considering waiting a little before getting back to them as I'll be visiting programs two weeks from now.

My first acceptance came via email, so I responded by contacting the graduate studies chair in the department and saying that I was close to making a decision but that I was waiting for one other school. I also made plans to visit the campus and meet with some of their faculty. They haven't said anything to me about a deadline for making a decision, but I know that I'm on their radar and they're expecting my visit and they know I'm still considering their school, so that relationship is good.

The other acceptance came via phone, but I missed the call and the offer was really made via voice mail. So I sent an email to the professor who had called me acknowledging the offer and thanking him and saying that I was waiting for one more school's decision but that I would be in touch soon. They have since sent me some info via mail about funding, etc.

• 10 months later...

digging this one back up from the depths because i'm curious about what the standard protocol is, and i didn't see a topic like this one anywhere near the top of the pile (apologies if there is one!). 

does anyone else have advice on this? i received an email telling me that a decision was available on the application website; the letter was a clear official acceptance, & said "You need to contact Professor (POI) at (email) for advisement." should i contact my POI, then, to let them know i've received my acceptance but am waiting on responses? or should i simply keep waiting, either for their response or responses from other schools?

thanks all! & sorry if there's another topic like this already at the top!

I'm hoping to be in your shoes soon. Since the email advises to email the POI, I would do so sooner rather than later for the same reasons we want to know as soon as possible. I would also thank them and say that I will let them know my final decision as soon as I have one. I would only say that I'm weighing other offers if it were true. Congrats!!