Virginia Tech

garbanzo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Woohoo I'm in! Now to fast track my life and get established in a new city by summer O_o I need to find a place to live, preferably a 3 bedroom single family home or townhouse. I also need to find a good, reasonably priced daycare or pre-school for my kids to attend while I am in school. My husband also needs to find a job in the area, he has a degree in video broadcasting. Any advice is welcome!

Is there an area of town that is more family friendly? Also not sure if you would know this or not, but have you heard of any good daycares/preschools or ones to avoid? From what I understood Tech doesnt have one on campus. Also would you recommend living in the city of Blacksburg? I have seen quite a few homes online for rent in Christiansburg, but I don't know how realistically convenient that is to get to tech. Thanks in advance!!

For houses, I would suggest Hethwood or Woodbine, both are nice places. I lived in Hethwood, its about a 5-10 minute drive from campus. For apartments, Foxridge is the nicest place in my opinion (It's right next to Hethwood). In terms of daycare, Rainbow Riders is definitely the best, but I've heard that it is difficult to get into so I would check them out as soon as possible. I wouldn't necessarily live in Christiansburg, but if that is the best pricing, etc, then it is only a 15 minute drive to tech (just get on 460 and go a couple exits down).

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

I shall be attending VT as a grad student in EE, Fall '13. Could anyone give me any pointers (or any helpful links on the internet) about whether to go for On Campus housing or Off Campus. I am what they would call a mature student (34 y.o.), Male, from India. I would want a room and bathroom to myself, apart from that I'm pretty flexible. I would prefer someone near about my age (25+would be good, but as long as the room mates are quiet and sane, I don't particularly care). How do I go about finding suitable accommodation? I already did extensive Google search on "graduate/housing/room mates" but all it took me to was VT's own links. I would like to know of any sites where there are reviews and active users seeking room mates.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I shall be attending VT as a grad student in EE, Fall '13. Could anyone give me any pointers (or any helpful links on the internet) about whether to go for On Campus housing or Off Campus. I am what they would call a mature student (34 y.o.), Male, from India. I would want a room and bathroom to myself, apart from that I'm pretty flexible. I would prefer someone near about my age (25+would be good, but as long as the room mates are quiet and sane, I don't particularly care). How do I go about finding suitable accommodation? I already did extensive Google search on "graduate/housing/room mates" but all it took me to was VT's own links. I would like to know of any sites where there are reviews and active users seeking room mates.

Thanks!

I second the above the request. I'll be applying for an MS in Transportation Engineering for Spring 2014. Such prior info will help greatly for an international student like me.

By the way, is there any one here who is/was in the TISE program? Any kind of info about it will be of great help.

Things like; how hard is it to get in, faculty, relevance and effectiveness of courses, job prospects after completion, so on and so forth.

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...