Thesis writing: Instant Cure for Waiting Ailments.

MDLee

So I've been stressing the last day or two about getting in (or not getting in...as the case seems to overwhelmingly be) to PhD programs. Then it occurred to me that I'm deep into February and I defend my thesis at the beginning of April.

:o Holy Guana Batman! :shock:

I'm suddenly scrambling to finish a chapter with the sinking realization that my next one is due in two weeks and is not totally polished yet. Don't have time to worry about grad school anymore. I imagine I'll have a nervous breakdown at the end of semester and just cry about all of the denials all at once.

Delayed reaction to rejection.

Incidentally, I'm doing exactly that right now! I need to finish the first of three parts of my thesis by Monday morning (it's more or less got the skeleton complete, but way overblown with major revision needed), and want to be significantly into the second part by Wednesday, as I'll be giving my colloquium that evening. All last week I freaked over grad shit, but this weekend (until now) has been consumed by thesis work. I need to just open it up every time I have the urge to visit this site. ;)

I'm totally supposed to be writing stuff for my professor right now. But it's been a craptastic Valentine's weekend and the fact I've heard from no schools, and have one final application to go out to the school I want to get into but keep telling myself I can't/won't get into, I've gone off the deep end!

I want this to be over so badly I'm not functioning. At least here I know I'm not alone in the waiting game... :|

Last Monday, my advisor wanted to see some figures of my research by tomorrow morning so of course I waited until a few hours ago to start. Luckily, I already had one made and the rest are just variations of the first one. I'm really not looking forward to getting back to writing.

Yeah, I also don't have enough time to worry about everything I should be worrying about. Must... write... thesis... not thegradcafe posts...

HA! I'm so glad I'm not the only one with this problem...

Chapters due. Chapters due. Chapters due. I have to have the whole thing in by the beginning of March. Here it is, Mid February and I don't look done to me...sigh. As my advisor says, "A completed thesis is a happy thesis. Make your thesis happy and just finish it already!"

hehe. I agree with everyone else though--even if I do manage to get accepted, I can't go anywhere until I finish this! :mrgreen:

I have a meeting with my supervisors next week, meaning I have to email them a chapter and soem other things tomorrow to give them time to read and comment. Have I typed a single word? No. Unless you count gradcafe posts...

I have a meeting with my supervisors next week, meaning I have to email them a chapter and soem other things tomorrow to give them time to read and comment. Have I typed a single word? No. Unless you count gradcafe posts...

That totally counts! I've written at least a thousand words in the past two weeks on here...print it out, I'm sure your super will approve. :wink:

That totally counts! I've written at least a thousand words in the past two weeks on here...print it out, I'm sure your super will approve. :wink:

No doubt! So if I find a thousand words here, where do the other 4000 for the chapter come from? Maybe all the passwords I've entered to access my online applications would come close...

No doubt! So if I find a thousand words here, where do the other 4000 for the chapter come from? Maybe all the passwords I've entered to access my online applications would come close...

And we mustn't forget the number of times you've checked your email in the last few hours....and since your deadline is before mine I'll even loan you my additions from all of those categories. That's got to count for 2500...so...where-oh-where do we get the rest of the required wordage from?? :?: