Purdue Linguistics program

waitforit

I was accepted by the linguisitcs M.A. program in Purdue. Anyone here be accepted too?

Here I have some questions. I don't know much about this program (not a department but a program under the college of liberal arts, with professors coming from different departments and other programs I guess ), so does anyone know something about this program? Like how's its professors, reputaion and position among US linguistics programs, achievement of students and so on. Thanks a lot!

Are you talking about Margie Berns? I know they do have strength in ELS and sociolinguistics and have Margie Berns, Tony Silva, etc.. But I'm just worried that it's an interdisciplinary program, which means most professors come from other departments and might not work that closely with its students... Maybe it's not true. I just want some more information.

I e-mailed the administrative assistant in Mar. 6th and she informed me my admission decision in the same day. From what she said, it seems that the department had finished the review before that day. Maybe review for Ph.D. is different. You might want to ask her about the result. Good luck!

FYI, I received the acceptance of Phd Program at Purdue via email on Feb 29th and official notification from grad school on March 6th. My POI at Purdue is Margie Berns, specializing in World Englishes, Sociolinguistics.

hi~ congras on your acceptance! Are you going to accept this offer (BTW, they do provide fundings right? Mine is still pending)? What do you know about this program? Thanks!

hi~ congras on your acceptance! Are you going to accept this offer (BTW, they do provide fundings right? Mine is still pending)? What do you know about this program? Thanks!

Thanks. I might decline the offer. Yes! They did provide full funding to PhD students. I received the mail from Prof. Wilbur to notify me the funding recommendations are being researched. I will be informed what source of funding will be awarded.

The Linguistics Program at Purdue is an interdisciplinary program. Most of the faculty members are affiliated with other programs, say, ESL studies, Hispanic Studies, English. They specialize in different topics, including semantics, syntax, ESL, sociolinguistics, discourse analysis. Some professors focus on the studies of American Sign Language. I agree with ray232. The strength of that program is SLS and sociolinguistics/anthropological linguistics. I think the program more concentrated on the area of applied linguistics.