Hi everyone. I haven't heard anything about U of T - I hope you hear soon.

I received an email this morning that I did get into U of A :) I was surprised as it's usually a phone call I thought? Anyhow, I'll take it either way.

For those that are interested in stats, I had a GPA of 3.6, GRE was 159V 154Q 4.5W. I was a teacher previously. No volunteer work but I worked regularly on teams with SLPs.

Good luck to everyone still waiting.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also haven't heard from U of T, but I heard from UWO and got in. It makes me nervous thinking that I haven't heard back from U of T when there are people who have posted and have already received acceptance emails from them. I hope we hear soon!!

Has anyone who has not received an offer of admission to the University of Toronto, receive an e-mail from them about being wait-listed or rejected?

I called the department three times this morning and no one picked up. I just e-mailed them now, so I hope I get a response soon.

I was under the impression that rejection letters come in the mail...I got one myself a few years ago. But I'm not sure how they let you know if you are waitlisted, if thats also sent through postal service. If you hear back from UofT, would you mind posting thier response? Does anyone know if they do multiple acceptance rounds? Thanks.

Congrats to all those with acceptances - an amazing achievement! I look forward to meeting you in September Spascoe - I also got accepted into Western. I also phoned UofT today, and got through to the secretary. She was able to tell me on the phone that I was waitlisted - so if any of you are wondering your status, I'd advise calling and leaving a message if she is not available at the moment. There's 25 spots on UofT's waitlist, and she was able to even tell me my relative position. Either way, letters were sent out yesterday if you don't mind the wait! Best of luck to everyone!! :)

Thanks for all the information! I emailed and called the secretary, no response yet, but I'm sure she is very busy. Will they send out a letter if you are on the waitlist as well as if you are refected? I live in Victoria, so my letter will take a week or so to get here.

I look forward to meeting you as well :)

Best of luck to everyone!! All our hard work will pay off :)

Hi everyone,

First of all, congratulations to everyone - we all worked very hard and we should be proud of ourselves no matter what the outcome. I'm posting my application status with the hope of answering some questions...

UBC: Got a phone call from them in February and was accepted. I think UBC calls students and then sends out letters.

McGill: I was put on the waiting list at McGill (I found out mid-March), but no news of where I stand right now. Students who were accepted have until April 7th to respond, so hopefully the faculty will move on to the waiting list soon.

For UWO: I got an email on Monday (they sent it out at 12AM!) and then received a phone call on Monday morning to follow-up on the admission email. I've been in touch with the coordinator by phone and by email, and they were quite helpful in answering my questions (also very quick in responding). I'm not sure if UWO sends out official letters - I was told to set up an account and check my letter online...

For U Toronto: I received an admission email on Monday morning, and I've had no luck reaching the coordinator by phone so far....If you have questions, I suggest that you email them, as they respond fairly quickly. As for official letters, U of Toronto sends them out by regular mail.

For those who were put on waiting lists at UWO or Toronto - be patient!!! Students who were accepted to both programs can only accept one of the offers (which automatically cancels the other), so you still have a big chance :)

Do you guys have any information about the programs at U Toronto and Western? I'm considering both Schools, but would love to hear what people have to say about either one of them....

Hi guys,

Congrats to everyone! I didn't think April would ever come and now we can finally breathe again. Woohoo!

Spacescoe, Anjelika and bippitybop; I look forward to meeting you all if you decide to go to Western! :)

Let me know if you need any information about London/the department/where to live if you are unfamilar with it...I am currently here and happy to help (I know moving is stressful, I did it across the country a week after I was married last year!).

I agree, the waitlists change so much--many individuals who were accepted applied to a number of universities and can only go to one school! Hang in there!

Bippitybop: That's a tough decision, both of the programs have such positive attributes. I've heard great things about each! I can only truly speak for UWO's.

I think I would compare some of the classes (UWO posts everything on their website, including format of the 2 years--the syllabus, etc), where your interests lie, the cost of living-and what you can get around university/bus lines (It ranges, but I think the cost is quite reasonable! My friend is sharing an apartment for 400-450$ each; i think it's roughly 1000sq ft?.. my living's a bit more since I wanted to live in a townhome), transportation (bus passes are included in tuition costs, but parking can be challenging), flights/train rides back home, if possible come down for a tour; the department here is so helpful and really are committed to their students and the success of the profession where-ever we decide to pursue our education. I think everything will help you with making a well-informed decision. I hope this helps, Please PM me, or send me a message if you or anyone else has a specific question or need more details!

I should mention, UWO changed their program from a 3 year to a 2 year (we will be the 2nd class to go through in the new 2year program), but I hear they have done a great job with this change. If you have anatomy in your background it will be very helpful--I think this was one of the complaints from this years class. In fact, I think the department changed that in their prereq's now.

Again Congrats Everyone!!!

Hi egad00,

I did my first undergrad in Geography & Environment at McGill, graduated with a 3.55 overall GPA. When I decided I wanted to work as an SLP, I enrolled in a second degree program at Concordia U in Psychology & Linguistics. My initial plan was to get all of my prerequisites done and apply to grad school; if I didn't get in, I figured I would have the degree to fall back on.

I worked with special needs children (ASD, down syndrome) for one summer and also got about 75 hours of volunteer experience as a conversation facilitator/workshop animator for adults with aphasia. I've also been working as a lab coordinator for two research labs for about a year and a half. Finally, when I applied this year, I had a 3.92/4.00 GPA and four references (2 academic, 1 personal, 1 clinical).

So in all, I worked very hard for 2.5 years and it was tough...but it was definitely worth it! If you have more questions, feel free to PM me :)

Good luck!

For anyone still waiting on the U of A I emailed and received this response today..........

"The Admissions Committee is still in the process of contacting successful applicants, and we have not met our quota. Once we have our quota we will be contacting applicants on the waiting list"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Who's applying to Canadian schools this year?? I'm applying to UofA, UT, UWO and McGill (although that is probably highly unlikely). Would love to connect with others on the application experience and any advice you have! I only know people who became SLP's at UofA- does anyone know anything about the other schools?

Good luck with applications :)

I'm also applying to UofA, UT, UWO and McGill. My first choice is UofA. I'm taking pre-req classes at ConU in Montreal right now - I've got a cGPA of 3.5 and after this semester my subGPA should be 3.8. I spent a year volunteering with both seniors and kids with language difficulties. I did the GRE(for UofA) and scored 325.

Does anyone know if this makes me competitive for UofA? Their website says 3.5 is adequate, but I've read on premed101 that they have high OOP cutoffs for their other Rehabilitation Science programs, and are GPA focused - with the low spot to applicant ratio it would be great if anyone had any ideas on what kind of stats you need to get into these schools!

I'm also applying to UofA, UT, UWO and McGill. My first choice is UofA. I'm taking pre-req classes at ConU in Montreal right now - I've got a cGPA of 3.5 and after this semester my subGPA should be 3.8. I spent a year volunteering with both seniors and kids with language difficulties. I did the GRE(for UofA) and scored 325.

Does anyone know if this makes me competitive for UofA? Their website says 3.5 is adequate, but I've read on premed101 that they have high OOP cutoffs for their other Rehabilitation Science programs, and are GPA focused - with the low spot to applicant ratio it would be great if anyone had any ideas on what kind of stats you need to get into these schools!

I'm not totally sure about UofA- your GRE scores are really great so that may balance out the GPA! One girl I know had a 3.8 when she went in 2009- but apparently that was a higher GPA year. Another girl I know had a 3.6 when she got into the program in 2011 (cGPA of 3.4!). Remember that UofA is last 60 credits- so maybe your last 60 are higher than your cGPA?

Thanks ajv! My subGPA should be 3.8, so it's good to hear that 3.8 was enough during a tough year!

I only know one other person who has gotten in/applied to SLP (last year) - she got into McGill, UWO and Toronto and had a CGPA of 3.86 with a Science background. From what I remember, she had 1.5 years of SLP specific volunteering. I'm not too sure about her applications otherwise.

It would be nice if Canadians actually posted their stats in the results search in gradcafe. Yeesh.