UMD College Park - Art History

cokohlik

For anyone applying to UMD, this article just came in the CAA newsletter: http://chronicle.com/article/Graduate-Programs-in/131123/

It says last year UMD only admitted 2 PhD students.

That makes me really sad. Now that I don't have any hope for UVA, UMD is my second choice. Maybe they'll admit more this year.

The grad secretary told me notifications will go out by the end of the week. I replied asking if she knew if they were by post or email, but I haven't heard back.

I know!! Put me in tears. :( My POI at UMD, Anthony Colantuono, was in it so naturally I had to email him and tell him now awfully disturbed I was. UMD is such a great program in art history...

And decisions aren't even out yet. But I don't have high hopes.

Aghhhhhh. I don't like it. I wish graduate programs had all the money in the world to attract students and mentor them and so on.

Edit because I can't spell... hah.

Edited by cokohlik

I've definitely done damage to the refresh button on my email today...I'm starting to think decisions are being sent out via snail mail :[ Good luck to everyone waiting on a decision! Fingers crossed for us all!

UMD's are snail mail as far as I know. :(

For all those UMD applicants still waiting, when I emailed the dept a couple of days ago, I got this response:

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry things are taking so long. The Admission's Committee will

make their decision at the end of this month. You will be notified then.

I'm not sure if they haven't been able to make a decision on me yet, or if I've been waitlisted. I've already accepted another offer a week or so ago, but it would be nice to get some closure on all these late notifiers.

Good luck to every one waiting to hear back!

For all those UMD applicants still waiting, when I emailed the dept a couple of days ago, I got this response:

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry things are taking so long. The Admission's Committee will

make their decision at the end of this month. You will be notified then.

I'm not sure if they haven't been able to make a decision on me yet, or if I've been waitlisted. I've already accepted another offer a week or so ago, but it would be nice to get some closure on all these late notifiers.

Good luck to every one waiting to hear back!

I emailed them on Tuesday and got a response back yesterday. They said decisions are going out by the end of this week (which is today) :)

Yay

Well, Maryland is a no. :( What will my dream school think when I tell them that I have no other offers? :( If they admit me I'd go...

I got my letter on my ASF via email.

I'm absolutely shocked.

Well, Maryland is a no. :( What will my dream school think when I tell them that I have no other offers? :( If they admit me I'd go...

I got my letter on my ASF via email.

I'm absolutely shocked.

One of the best things you can do for yourself if keep your cards to your chest. You don't need to explain if you got other offers or not.

One of the best things you can do for yourself if keep your cards to your chest. You don't need to explain if you got other offers or not.

I agree, but they specifically asked. I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but it seems like they want me there.

I agree, but they specifically asked. I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but it seems like they want me there.

You didn't put exactly what they say (like, the entire context of the email), but for me that simply means that they want to know the risk of giving each individual an acceptance, so the opinion could sway either way: they could look at it as opportunity or as risk, similar to what the comments say. Good luck, but don't sweat it too much.

In my experiences, I would only really contact a potential school if I was accepted other offers and needed to negotiate. :(