Is a UK masters degree valid in the US?

On 4/11/2019 at 9:58 PM, RebeccaPsych said:

So, is the consensus that you can't get a 1 year MSC/MA in the UK and then get licensed in the US? 

Each state has different requirements for licensure as a master's level clinician. It's usually called an LPC or something similar. You have to look at the requirements of the state licensing and compare those to the program. Chances are, a 1 year program will not be sufficient, as most counseling masters in the US suitable for licensure require 45-60 credits in alignment with state licensing requirements. Look up the requirements for the state(s) you would most likely want to practice in and then compare the education requirements with those of the program(s) you're looking at. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/7/2020 at 2:04 PM, MaurissaRae said:

Picking this back up after almost a decade, did any of you complete a councelling or psychology master's program in the UK and then seek employment in the US? I'm in the same boat  as YankGirl02 was, and I'd love to know if YankGirl02 or anyone else in the this thread found success in the US after completing a master's program in the UK and/or if they ran into any difficulties. An update would be amazing and much appreciated. 

I looked into all the masters programs last year and couldn't find a good solution. 

Now, I'm looking into DClinPsy. Problem here is that most schools don't seem to accept "self-funded" students. But, they also won't fund you if you're non-EU/non-EA. So, I'm not sure where to go with that. And, I don't see any good way to get a visa. 

I'm happy to chat if you want to work on figuring this out together! I've been doing a fair amount of research. 

• 3 weeks later...

@RebeccaPsych Were you able to find any information about whether or not US PhD Programs would accept a MSc Conversion Program? I do not have my Bachelors in Psych. My Master's Degree is in Higher Education Administration. I have worked in roles that have provided clinical experience in triaging mental health services to students in a University setting. I do believe my experiences/background would lend me well to a PhD Counseling Psych program but I am nervous my portfolio is not competitive enough. 

I am coming from a non-traditional background and would like to not start over haha and that is when I stumbled upon MSc Conversion programs. Which sound amazing! I haven't been able to find any information from US PhD programs about whether or not they would consider the MSc Conversion to be a viable experience and would hate to waste time, resources and money.  

6 hours ago, jmm0548 said:

@RebeccaPsych Were you able to find any information about whether or not US PhD Programs would accept a MSc Conversion Program? I do not have my Bachelors in Psych. My Master's Degree is in Higher Education Administration. I have worked in roles that have provided clinical experience in triaging mental health services to students in a University setting. I do believe my experiences/background would lend me well to a PhD Counseling Psych program but I am nervous my portfolio is not competitive enough. 

I am coming from a non-traditional background and would like to not start over haha and that is when I stumbled upon MSc Conversion programs. Which sound amazing! I haven't been able to find any information from US PhD programs about whether or not they would consider the MSc Conversion to be a viable experience and would hate to waste time, resources and money.  

HI @jmm0548

I haven't seen anything directly related to that. I'd be skeptical just because of all the troubles I've had. The US and UK systems ~apparently~ do not work very well together. I just got notice today that my BA in psych isn't valid over there. So, that's a bummer. 

That being said, I've seen US programs that don't require a BA in psychology. The personal statement is a great place to address weaknesses in your application... maybe you could spin it! Tell the reviewers why your background in administration is a strength. Or, maybe you could reach out to potential advisors. Ask them if they would consider someone with your background a good fit.