UCSD Admission

Deguit0

I'm also waiting... I guess there will be no more news from them before the grad visit day...

This is probably a reasonable assumption. The place is gearing up for visit day and most of the attention is on that, I think everyone's in a wait and see kinda mode.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw some rejects yesterday to the forum, but I don't know if they were fresh. Anyhow, I guess that in Friday ( Rejection Day) we will know more

What do you mean by "Friday (Rejection Day)"? Are you extrapolating this from the forum where much people seems to have been rejected on Friday? or do you have some insider information on when the UCSD results are going to be ready?

has anyone here asked ucsd directly if a decision has been reached on his/her app? i don't mind the waiting game, but im concerned that the good apartments near my other school choice might be rented out

I haven't.. yet... However, I do share your concern... I was thinking of asking for my application status Monday the 30th ... (I believe they will be on Spring break next week, and asking this week seemed too desperate for me)

heck, here's what i wrote to them:

I applied to the PhD program, and I am wondering if the committee has reached a decision on my application? If so, may I know what the decision is. I understand though if you cannot share it with me.

I hesitated asking, but knowing earlier is better for my planning, particularly getting good apartments before they are rented out.

(I believe they will be on Spring break next week, and asking this week seemed too desperate for me)

yea, i think the only possible negative for asking is that it might negatively affect their decision (like, "we're debating whether to admit this guy, but now that he shows immaturity by bothering us, let's reject him" :D

although my guess/hope is that it's unlikely that they let your asking them one question be a factor in their decision.

on the other hand, if that risk is actually real, i have other good options, so i guess i dont mind the risk :)

As far as I know, decisions at UCSD are not centralized. This means that there's no one day that all the apps have had accept/reject decisions made on them. I believe most apps have been at least put on one of two lists at this point. Basically the first list is what makes it through the first level of review and the second list is what doesn't. The batch of rejections we already saw from UCSD were likely people on the second list who didn't make it through the first level of review.

After the first level of review, different professors basically tell the adcom who they want and those people receive acceptance letters, the first batch of accepts already went out and visited here last week at visit day. The remaining people who haven't heard are *probably* the ones who made it through the first level of review but haven't been picked by a specific professor yet. The admissions staff probably can't tell you whether or not you're going to be picked because they don't know anymore, which may be why they aren't responsive.

As for spring break, it's not like the staff go away. The department keeps humming and the only thing spring break brings is a stop to classes.

As time goes on your likelihood of being picked goes down as more professors have figured out who they want to admit for the next year, but it doesn't drop to zero until later on in the process. I imagine the admissions office is letting people know of accepts as soon as they happen and only informing people of rejections when they *know* someone won't be getting in, which is very difficult to determine for anyone who has passed the first level of review.

I know everyone's anxious, but there's probably not much you can do but wait at this point. If you haven't heard back yet it's probably because no one knows. So try to be as patient as you can. I've been telling myself the same thing.

Oh.. and one other thing, those of you who have already received acceptances but have decided to go elsewhere, it might be prudent to let UCSD know as things are now far enough along where it could start to help. If you haven't made a decision yet, no worries, but if you've already decided not to go you might want to throw someone a note.

yea, the waiting hadnt bothered me, and i was assuming reject. that was why i started looking for apartments at the other places, and only after i noticed some decent apartments near the other schools did i want to know (i was assuming reject anyway) sooner.

i dont know how they work: (1) immediately notify when decision (either way) is made, or (2) needs to get paperwork done before notification.

so if they are (2) and the decision is reject, then i'd like to know sooner rather than later.

but yea, it could be they havent decided yet.

but yea, it could be they havent decided yet.

Well I guess that's what is going on probably... I am with belowthree in the thought that they must have a pool of students who have good profile, and are waiting for professors to select which ones they want to support.

• 2 weeks later...

email dated march 28 5:40pm:

Application review has concluded for both MS and PhD applications and most final decisions have been sent.

However, there are still PhD applications the committee will be sending decision letters for soon.

email dated march 28 5:40pm:

Application review has concluded for both MS and PhD applications and most final decisions have been sent.

However, there are still PhD applications the committee will be sending decision letters for soon.

Insightful... however not helping... I am interpreting that means we are probably rejected... however it is really unclear in the mail what would happen.... 8)

i laugh at myself for screwing up my undergrad gpa and getting rejected by ucsd (i assume gpa is my weakest "hard" factor). but it's a carefree laugh because i got into uiuc... somehow :) (last time i applied 2 years ago i also got rejected by uiuc.)

you know, april 2nd in 2007 was monday, so it could be this coming monday :) or it could be tomorrow.

doesnt matter though. im gonna attend illinois anyway.

I was rejected at Illinois :( I'm probably attending Florida :P However, I really want to know San Diego's final answer before accepting Florida's offer :P

I still have no answer :P I guess they lost my App...

I have accepted Florida's offer anyway... however I am a little bit mad that I paid 80 bucks and got not even a courtesy rejection email...

Is anyone still waiting like me?