UCSD Admission

Deguit0

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK:

Undergrad Penn 3.91/4.0 dual degree Comp Sci/Finance

UCSD applied to Research Field: Systems (no prior publications)

GRE 800Q/660V/4.5AW and 850CS

Job experience: 2 Internships (Wall Street)

Anything else? I don't think the application was particularly strong, since I hadn't done any research as an undergrad.

i don't think it's impolite. i think it's annoying as hell to the schools, but you're just a person on the phone and they don't associate you with your application - as in, you're either in or not and their decision is not going to change based upon a phone call.

if it's that bad, just call.

Why are you not applying to stay there for PhD? If you dont mind sharing :)

I actually applied to UT, forgot to add in my signature :oops:

However, I don't think the networked systems research at UT is as strong as in other schools I applied to.

The UCSD CSE visit is March 12-13, just FYI. I assume everyone should get a response before then...

They might not actually... the round that's went out is the first round of acceptances that are what is currently viewed as top tier. They may take some time with the rest of the apps.

UCSD's process is a little odd. I don't know a whole lot about it, but the parts I do know seem like it's a bit tricky.

As far as I know, they have not sent out all acceptances yet but the acceptances that have gone out was basically the first list of people that profs said they'd fund from the pool. (Though it's unclear whether all the profs have even bothered to look through and make all their decisions at this point.)

They might not actually... the round that's went out is the first round of acceptances that are what is currently viewed as top tier. They may take some time with the rest of the apps.

UCSD's process is a little odd. I don't know a whole lot about it, but the parts I do know seem like it's a bit tricky.

As far as I know, they have not sent out all acceptances yet but the acceptances that have gone out was basically the first list of people that profs said they'd fund from the pool. (Though it's unclear whether all the profs have even bothered to look through and make all their decisions at this point.)

That makes me feel a bit better :)

While my application might have not been top tier (particularly GPA-wise, which was still quite good though), I did have reccomendations from an alumni and a former faculty and quite a bit of research in my field of choice (graphics), so I still hold some hope :).

I really should have withdrawn my application, as I feel like I'm taking up one of your spots. But I promised myself I'd talk with the UCSD faculty even though personal and professional factors are strongly pulling me toward my other acceptance...

Give our department a little more credit... people factor in for the idea that not everyone is going to accept and I'd imagine that a lot of the pending acceptances are from profs that haven't really figured out who they want to admit yet.

Take your time, figure it out, UCSD waitlists a bunch of people each year and we haven't even gotten to that point. When people are actually officially on a waitlist then you might want to go ahead and begin the process of feeling guilty. No need to do it now, feeling guilty this early is just overachieving. :)