technology question for those studying in religion

anthrovagabond

Can you put the new apple os on any netbook? will the netbook still run quickly? If so, that's tempting...

I'm not an expert, but from what I know the newest OS that will run on the Dell is 10.6.2. Also, I don't believe you can update the OS (so updating from 10.6.2 to 10.6.8 will screw up the OS....I know, because I have done it and hard to start over..haha).

And yeah, I believe it will run rather well. I have tested two different ones for several hours and they seemed to be fine. As I said, the process is pretty easy. PM me if you have any specific questions, although a "hackintosh" forum might be better for you!

best

Not to high-jack this thread, but I have two technology questions as well:

1. Right now, I have a standard sized HP. I used to carry it around with me on campus all day, but it was unbearably heavy. I use my laptop to take notes during class. I was wondering should I invest in a tiny netbook (doesn't have to be brand-name or anything) to make the trek around school easier? Another reason I'm considering this is because my laptop now takes up major amounts of space in class as well. What netbooks are worth purchasing (without spending too much money)?

2. You guys are talking about software tools such as BibleWorks and the like - are there any out there in Qur'an version?

1. If you're coming to Harvard you will have to get an iPad with a posh keyboard accessory. But seriously...you don't want to write essays on a netbook, you need a full sized keyboard. The HDS campus is not that big.

2. There is no such thing as text critical scholarship of the Quran, everyone is afraid to do it, so there's nothing like this that I'm aware of. That said, here is an upcoming text critical project on the Koran, the Corpus Coranicum, by the Germans who are not afraid of anyone. Not like logos or bibleworks, but the closest there is right now that I know of. http://koran.bbaw.de/ If you're coming to HDS you might shoot an email to Dean Graham about this.

Edited by 11Q13

I bought a toshiba netbook over 4 years ago (wow...maybe 5 almost...), and it's still going (though dying now--but will take me through the rest of the semester). I wouldn't spend more than $350. I spent $300 ( brand new ) on mine on Amazon when I got it.

Actually, I'm in a physiology class at the moment, and this girl has a HUGE laptop with her... looks cumbersome!!

Go netbook if you don't want to spend more for a MacBook air.

I really wish iPads were more functional!

iPads, imho, seem like giant toys to me. I think I will def stick with the netbook option - I def don't think an air will be too great on my pocket! Amazon is a great idea! Thank you!

1. If you're coming to Harvard you will have to get an iPad with a posh keyboard accessory. But seriously...you don't want to write essays on a netbook, you need a full sized keyboard. The HDS campus is not that big.

2. There is no such thing as text critical scholarship of the Quran, everyone is afraid to do it, so there's nothing like this that I'm aware of. That said, here is an upcoming text critical project on the Koran, the Corpus Coranicum, by the Germans who are not afraid of anyone. Not like logos or bibleworks, but the closest there is right now that I know of. http://koran.bbaw.de/ If you're coming to HDS you might shoot an email to Dean Graham about this.

Hahaha, it took me a second to realize you were joking about the iPad. And d'oh! I should've known about the Qu'ranic scholarship - I'll def shoot Graham an email! Thank you!

11Q13,

I'm wondering how you like Logos? I have only used it briefly and really didn't get a good sense for it. I have been using Bibleworks for around 3-4 years now and have been really pleased with it. Thoughts?

So, another question: in grad school, is the reading primarily from books (paper or e-) or PDFs?

Books, though I also always had a lot of PDF's that teachers would instruct us to print out. I find that most professors are suspicious of e-books still. personally I find them harder to memorize since note taking is made less smooth.