How do you guys deal with articles like this?

I also like the original video though. :lol: "Harold Bloom is a misogynistic narcissist."

Totes. Me too. I feel like I can relate to both the prof in the first, and the kid in the second. I just really love the part about "you realize that wealthy people retire so they can live the kind of life you'd be living, but the difference is that you'll be doing it when you're younger" part.

Yeah, the comments are surprising on the "Yes" one's youtube thread. I have no idea why people are so f-ing negative and condescending. Yes, we understand the challenges and risks. We have done google searches/talked to professors. You can stop acting like we're 5 year olds. I believe in balance when it comes to this. After all, what are people trying to accomplish with the first video (even though, I agree, it's funny and important)? Are they just trying to make people feel bad about their life choices, or are they trying to actually help people make better decisions? I'm already in the war; I don't need to be told I might get shot.

EDIT: Plus IRONY ALERT! Whenever the condescending and negative advice is given, it's done from the privileged position of someone who is already a TT professor in the humanities. Do as I say, not as I do, I suppose? Do they feel intellectually compromised or threatened? Do they want to shrink humanities so that it's less competitive? It all makes me very suspicious and angry.

Edited by TripWillis

Yeah, the comments are surprising on the "Yes" one's youtube thread. I have no idea why people are so f-ing negative and condescending. Yes, we understand the challenges and risks. We have done google searches/talked to professors. You can stop acting like we're 5 year olds. I believe in balance when it comes to this. After all, what are people trying to accomplish with the first video (even though, I agree, it's funny and important)? Are they just trying to make people feel bad about their life choices, or are they trying to actually help people make better decisions? I'm already in the war; I don't need to be told I might get shot.

EDIT: Plus IRONY ALERT! Whenever the condescending and negative advice is given, it's done from the privileged position of someone who is already a TT professor in the humanities. Do as I say, not as I do, I suppose? Do they feel intellectually compromised or threatened? Do they want to shrink humanities so that it's less competitive? It all makes me very suspicious and angry.

I agree. There's a prof in my department whose brand spankin' new who realllly cautions people against doing grad school. Like borderline hostile.

"I can do it, but you probably couldn't."

"I know that my life is amazingly awesome and I probably have the best job on the planet. However, if there are more people performing my job, it makes me feel less valuable. If I know that anyone can do it (i.e., you can do it), it makes me feel less special for what I have accomplished. So even though the payoff for you is that you will potentially have the greatest job ever imagined by humanity, I would say it isn't worth it."

?

Edited by Stately Plump

Things may improve as the tenured boomers move into retirement. Or six and a half years from now the market could be even worse. Who can say? I want to be a college professor. I have brilliant thoughts about Mary Shelley, and death.

I have brilliant thoughts about the Renaissance and Shakespeare. I think I should be fine getting a job, because those are some understudied topics, based on my evaluation.

*raises hand* First time for everything, I suppose.

Ditto on that one.

Here.

Me too! It's presumptuous to call myself a "grad student," as I don't apply for PhD programs until this fall, but hopefully I can count myself among your ranks soon! ^_^

If I do get accepted to a program and complete it successfully, I'll be both the first college-educated and Ph.D.-wielding member of my family.

Considering that I come from a working-class (read: pretty much poor) family, I'd say that's something to be excited about! And I love the irony of it, considering I'm dead-set on obtain a degree as "useless" and "economically unwise" as a Ph.D. in English. B)

If I do get accepted to a program and complete it successfully, I'll be both the first college-educated and Ph.D.-wielding member of my family.

Preemptive congratulations! I mean, you're already college-educated so way to go! As the offspring of (shit's about to get personal, run!) an alcoholic roofer and a day-care-providing-single-mom-turned-realtor (divorced, naturally), I'm right there with you -- as are a decent amount of folks judging by the last few responses.

Call it the rise of the prolitariat. :mellow: But...not in public.

How do I deal with it? Denial.

Or, rather, I maintain the "I know what I want and I am going to do it no matter what" mindset.

I'll just say both.

Preemptive congratulations! I mean, you're already college-educated so way to go! As the offspring of (shit's about to get personal, run!) an alcoholic roofer and a day-care-providing-single-mom-turned-realtor (divorced, naturally), I'm right there with you -- as are a decent amount of folks judging by the last few responses.

Divorced alcoholic auto-worker and alcoholic waitress here. Former had a college degree from an art school in the 1950s; other went to community college and never finished. Extremely unlikely that I'd be in this position.

Edit: I am, however, a white male... I understand the significant privilege there. Not proud of it.

Edited by TripWillis

Me too! It's presumptuous to call myself a "grad student," as I don't apply for PhD programs until this fall, but hopefully I can count myself among your ranks soon! ^_^

Considering that I come from a working-class (read: pretty much poor) family, I'd say that's something to be excited about! And I love the irony of it, considering I'm dead-set on obtain a degree as "useless" and "economically unwise" as a Ph.D. in English. B)

I'm the first college attendee in my family too! ^_^ Yeah, definitely not coming from wealth over here...

I'm glad that there are a few of us on here! Neither of my parents are alcoholics...just painfully religious bigots (which may be worse?).

There's something decidedly anti-capitalist about someone from lesser means undertaking (or in my case, seeking to undertake) graduate work in the humanities. I'd like to envision it as myself kicking capitalism in the balls. And I like that very much.

I'm glad that there are a few of us on here! Neither of my parents are alcoholics...just painfully religious bigots (which may be worse?).

There's something decidedly anti-capitalist about someone from lesser means undertaking (or in my case, seeking to undertake) graduate work in the humanities. I'd like to envision it as myself kicking capitalism in the balls. And I like that very much.

In reality, the powers that be probably don't mind us containing ourselves in institutions instead of marching in the streets. The only way they maintain a semblance of social control is by funneling conscious working-class people into niches where they'll be happy and stay quiet.

Sorry, I realize how pessimistic and conspiratorial that sounds. At least I'll get to brainwash up to 75 kids a semester in the future.

Edit: The future American subaltern is who they'll really have to worry about in the future, that is if the economy stays bad.

Edited by TripWillis

In reality, the powers that be probably don't mind us containing ourselves in institutions instead of marching in the streets. The only way they maintain a semblance of social control is by funneling conscious working-class people into niches where they'll be happy and stay quiet.

Sorry, I realize how pessimistic and conspiratorial that sounds. At least I'll get to brainwash up to 75 kids a semester in the future.

Edit: The future American subaltern is who they'll really have to worry about in the future, that is if the economy stays bad.

No, you're right. :( It's sad, really! I hope that someday I'll be able to combine scholarly work with activism of some sort. Some academics do this (Butler comes to mind).

This is my plan as well. As much as I do get the urge to march and protest, I'd rather do what I can from the classroom than get arrested or even shot in the streets. Channeling my anger for good. That's my mantra.

No, you're right. :( It's sad, really! I hope that someday I'll be able to combine scholarly work with activism of some sort. Some academics do this (Butler comes to mind).

This is my plan as well. As much as I do get the urge to march and protest, I'd rather do what I can from the classroom than get arrested or even shot in the streets. Channeling my anger for good. That's my mantra.

"Even an invisible man has a socially responsible role to play." - Ellison. Of course, in this case, we're not invisible, just in danger of become aloof aesthetes, alienated from society (we're definitely already perceived that way).

The sad thing is that I'm torn, because I don't want to feel like I'm indoctrinating people, but I feel they have the right to be informed and no matter what my intentions are, biases come out of my mouth. I took a cheap shot at the GOP today in front of my comp class... not proud of it. Some day I will snap and rant on and on about third-party viability. One of these days, Alice...

Edit: At least I can teach my comrades in the working class the importance of being able to code switch in front of the bourgeoisie. :lol: God, could I take myself more seriously right now?

Edited by TripWillis

"Even an invisible man has a socially responsible role to play." - Ellison. Of course, in this case, we're not invisible, just in danger of become aloof aesthetes, alienated from society (we're definitely already perceived that way).

The sad thing is that I'm torn, because I don't want to feel like I'm indoctrinating people, but I feel they have the right to be informed and no matter what my intentions are, biases come out of my mouth. I took a cheap shot at the GOP today in front of my comp class... not proud of it. Some day I will snap and rant on and on about third-party viability. One of these days, Alice...

Objectivity is a fiction, so while I certainly don't plan on "indoctrinating" students or grading them based on their opinions, I have no qualms expressing politically sensitive ideas.

EDIT: I should probably stop talking as if I'm a graduate student. It's a pretty huge if.

Edited by Two Espressos

Objectivity is a fiction, so while I certainly don't plan on "indoctrinating" students or grading them based on their opinions, I have no qualms expressing politically sensitive ideas.

EDIT: I should probably stop talking as if I'm a graduate student. It's a pretty huge if.

I graded a paper last semester about affirmative action where I took the student to task for factual inaccuracies and logic errors. It was NOT because he disagreed with me; I explained to him that there was a logical argument to be made against AA, but his was not remotely logical. He also obviously hadn't brushed up on the topic at all before choosing to discuss it. I agree about objectivity being a fiction, but I also try hard not to wade into murky political waters with my students; I don't want to take away all of their autonomy, and being a teacher is such an authoritative position. I feel bad enough crushing their creativity when I'm teaching them how to write formal research papers.

BTW, you can talk like a grad student all you want; I think you got this one next year. Let me know if you need an SoP/WS reader when it comes to it.

You both seem like very bright, level-headed, and articulate people and you're just coming out of undergrad. Consider the position you'll be in if you throw yourself full force into an MA, Silent G. You're going to be like a superhero the next time you apply to PhDs.