Piercings?

ReallyTall

So, I realize that as an art student, I'm entering into a field where people tend to be more accepting of "alternative" looks than any other field. With that, I'd still like some input.

One of my "you just got into grad schools, go celebrate" things is to finally go and get a piercing. It will be on my ear, but it will be an industrial (bar across the top cartilage). I wouldn't go crazy with it, just a solid metal bar with the typical silver balls at the ends. It will be a 14 gauge.

Does anyone think this will severely hinder my ability to be hired later in life? Potential teaching jobs? I do not want to teach as a career—it would only be as a visiting lecturer. I'm not too worried about the impact it will have on me while in grad school, but if anyone can think of an issue, do voice it!

Also, if it matters, I am a male.

You can just take it out, and then *poof* it's gone.

I agree with the above poster. It's not a visible tattoo so it can be removed without anyone knowing any differently when the time comes!

I realize this is an option, but I guess I wasn't thinking of it as a temporary endeavor. I know they make plugs if you need to take it out for a special occasion, but industrials do take a long time to heal, so you can't do that until after some time has passed.

So, I realize that as an art student, I'm entering into a field where people tend to be more accepting of "alternative" looks than any other field. With that, I'd still like some input.

One of my "you just got into grad schools, go celebrate" things is to finally go and get a piercing. It will be on my ear, but it will be an industrial (bar across the top cartilage). I wouldn't go crazy with it, just a solid metal bar with the typical silver balls at the ends. It will be a 14 gauge.

Does anyone think this will severely hinder my ability to be hired later in life? Potential teaching jobs? I do not want to teach as a career—it would only be as a visiting lecturer. I'm not too worried about the impact it will have on me while in grad school, but if anyone can think of an issue, do voice it!

go for it! If you really trust your work, your creativity, then your looks should not get in the way of anything you set your mind to do in this life. Besides, by the time you'll be looking for a job EVERYONE will be pierced or tattooed :D

I'm thinking about a new look myself, I want to dress artistically, I want to free myself from the wardrobe I was confined to until now, I want to show the world I'm becoming 100% what I intended to be all my life...

My photography professor is the head of the photo dept at Utah State University. He has two rings in one ear. Note that I said "UTAH" State University. Utah is perhaps the most conservative State in the US. I wouldn't worry about it much but I'd avoid those "tubes" that put big holes in the ear that may never close up if you decide against it later.

Edited by Fool4nine

go for it! If you really trust your work, your creativity, then your looks should not get in the way of anything you set your mind to do in this life. Besides, by the time you'll be looking for a job EVERYONE will be pierced or tattooed :D

I'm thinking about a new look myself, I want to dress artistically, I want to free myself from the wardrobe I was confined to until now, I want to show the world I'm becoming 100% what I intended to be all my life...

My dress is kinda standard. I wouldn't say I dress well, but I certainly don't dress poorly. I do lean a bit more on the edgy site, though. I don't know how to really explain that, but it's how I'm generally described.

My photography professor is the head of the photo dept at Utah State University. He has two rings in one ear. Note that I said "UTAH" State University. Utah is perhaps the most conservative State in the US. I wouldn't worry about it much but I'd avoid those "tubes" that put big holes in the ear that may never close up if you decide against it later.

A 14g will close up no problem! It's those low numbers like 4s and 6s that start to get tricky. Plus, I'm not going to stretch a hole on an area of my ear that's only .5cm to well over 1cm. Standard ear piercings are usually 16g or 18g, so it's only a bit larger than that.

Piercings really aren't a huge deal. I have an industrial as well and 1 inch (25mm) plugs and those aren't going to close up! I also have my nose pierced. In undergrad the head of our theater dept had full sleeve and neck tattoos. Its all about where you want to teach and what you want to do.

Yes I have concerns about tattoos. I would really like to get one. Actually, caus, I want one on my wrist like you (only I want mine right on the outer edge of the wrist--nothing huge). The professionalism thing gets me every time though. I know these are forward-thinking times and we're in one of the most progressive professional communities out there, but I wonder still if a visible tattoo is a bad idea. I guess ol'spice and Fool4nine are right, the work is what matters most. But still...

I'll let you guys know if I decide to go for it. I think this summer--right before grad school--would be a good time!

plenty of professors at my undergrad, VCU were covered in tattoos and had lots of piercings. It's pretty highly ranked. It doesn't matter.

Thank for weighing in, everyone! It helps a lot.

It was less of a worry and more of an... insurance policy? I've wanted one for a long time, but I was never given the opportunity to get one or I always second-guessed myself. This is the perfect opportunity- new place, new people, and it's a small reward.

I know we're given a lot more leeway, but I'm always leery because of the difference that exists between the workplaces of traditional artists and designers. I feel like, in many ways, designers are given many of the same expressive freedoms as other majors, but at the same time we're expected to interface with many more "professional" clients. It's not ideal, but it's how things work.

As far as tattoos go- I know what I would want if I ever decided to get one. However, I'm not dead set on getting on anytime soon. I obviously hold nothing against people that have tattoos or piercings, but I would probably avoid the "swastika on [my] forehead" tattoo that someone mentioned before :P

Edited by ReallyTall