NDSEG 2012 - Fundopolotoplotopus

andrealphus

the two people who saw awards, first letter of last name? maybe, by some stretch, there is still hope for those of us at the end of the alphabet?

last name c, and I applied under cognitive, neural & behavioral sciences

the two people who saw awards, first letter of last name? maybe, by some stretch, there is still hope for those of us at the end of the alphabet?

Yeah that's a good point. I'm still more concerned about the timing for different fields, as there is a precedent for that.

Well, the number of people accepted amongst the number of people posting on this thread is certainly consistent with the incredibly low win rate, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Congrats to those who won. Unfortunately I am 0/3 awaiting 1 more for this fellowship season. Finger still crossed.

Edited by slu

Not necessarily, Slu... there have been ~80 people on here all day. With the 10% award rate, that means we're still under represented in terms of winners. Plus there might be a self-selection bias for the more aggressive competitors to be on here, which means winner should be over-represented.

OK. Obviously I have nothing better to do than analyze this to death. I wish they'd just send out the emails!!!

Just to clarify, you guys are talking about logging into https://ndseg.asee.org/award right? Or did you do some javascript magic that was mentioned earlier. I cant log in so I'm hoping its the latter or they havent gotten to my field yet.... I don't wanna think about getting rejected fron NDSEG right now.

Just to clarify, you guys are talking about logging into https://ndseg.asee.org/award right? Or did you do some javascript magic that was mentioned earlier. I cant log in so I'm hoping its the latter or they havent gotten to my field yet.... I don't wanna think about getting rejected fron NDSEG right now.

Yes. You should try to log into https://ndseg.asee.org/award and my field of study is mathematics.

After briefly looking through last year's thread, it seems that the steps were: (1) people were first able to check whether they could log in and see an award letter or not, and then (2) emails went out a few days later, with everyone who was initally unable to log in being rejected. So I feel almost certain that we're just between (1) and (2) right now....just being realistic, although I did not read the 2011 thread in great detail.

I'm able to log in and see an award overview letter, though I have not received an e-mail saying anything. Materials Science, last name towards the very end of the alphabet.

I applied last year and did not get it. I received the rejection e-mail at 6:07 ET on Monday, April 18th. I seem to recall people on here reporting that they got an award at least a day or two before I got a rejection e-mail.

After briefly looking through last year's thread, it seems that the steps were: (1) people were first able to check whether they could log in and see an award letter or not, and then (2) emails went out a few days later, with everyone who was initally unable to log in being rejected. So I feel almost certain that we're just between (1) and (2) right now....just being realistic, although I did not read the 2011 thread in great detail.

Yeah but there is absolutely no reason for a prolonged delay between them putting all awards into database and them sending emails. I suspect they are getting the awardee lists for different fields or different sponsoring organizations at different times, and just updating awardees as they get them. They have to wait for all lists to come in before sending emails.

It's impossible (but fun) to try and guess what's going on. However, after doing a little snooping, I think updates are made according to what general area you applied under (that is, research area your proposed project falls under) rather than your field of study. Just a guess based off updates in past years NDSEG discussions.

I agree with the above posts -- far better to just find out in one clean sweep of notifications that you were awarded or not, rather than this prolonged process. If anyone from ASEE looks at this thread, please take note!

I'm a bit confused -- people who don't get an award don't go to an "awards" page later to be rejected or waitlisted, correct?

I think so according to the thread of NDSEG 2011. I am lucky to be one of those who can log in and it has been so amazing. Keep your hope up for those who are still waiting.

Looks like everybody can still log in...well sort of. These guys did a really poor job of designing their website. If you login to the https://ndseg.asee.org/award page and get the red box of death, you can then go to the https://ndseg.asee.org/award/2013/overview page and see a screen of well, basically the same thing we could see before they shut everyone out on Friday. At least I can. I guess the same session cookie gets set and lets you in regardless. No friendly award letter, but I can change my contact info...big whoop. Anyways, good luck everybody!! I think we're pretty much hosed at this point, but I've got my Dunkel Hefeweizen ready in either case.