Political Economy and Comparative

Anna87

Does anyone have any advice for good programs in political economy, specifically comparative? I have a list of a few schools, but I am trying to expand it a bit.

UC Berkeley, Yale, Duke, and University of Michigan.

These are all top ten schools, maybe someone can recommend a few others that I should take a closer look at (they do not have to be top 10!)

Also, UCSD is a good option if you're nervous about applying to mostly top 10 schools - they are a top 10 program in IR/CP/IPE, but they have a really low yield bc the better branded schools steal all the best students. So they accept a pretty large percentage of applicants (comparatively) - ~20%. Obviously not an assurance by any means, but if you've got a good fit and decent stats it's a good option.

Anna87, be sure to consider the fact that this 20% all have top percentile GRE quant scores and a strong undergrad/MA quant background, with coursework in PE, Math, Econ, etc.

Anna87, be sure to consider the fact that this 20% all have top percentile GRE quant scores and a strong undergrad/MA quant background, with coursework in PE, Math, Econ, etc.

Of course, but this is true pretty much anywhere in the top 30 nowadays.

Of course, but this is true pretty much anywhere in the top 30 nowadays.

How much quantitative work would you suggest?

I have pretty good Quant GRE scores. In my MA I haven’t taken math courses but I have taken PE and I tend to gear individual work (I.e. research papers/projects) in other courses towards Econ. However, I will only have maybe 1 or 2 courses on my transcript that are easily classified as quant courses. Any suggestions for my remaining two semesters of my MA? Or anything else I could do to show that I can in fact do quantitative work?

I also use to tutor econ in undergrad. Not sure how much that would count.

How much quantitative work would you suggest?

I have pretty good Quant GRE scores. In my MA I haven’t taken math courses but I have taken PE and I tend to gear individual work (I.e. research papers/projects) in other courses towards Econ. However, I will only have maybe 1 or 2 courses on my transcript that are easily classified as quant courses. Any suggestions for my remaining two semesters of my MA? Or anything else I could do to show that I can in fact do quantitative work?

I also use to tutor econ in undergrad. Not sure how much that would count.

I talked to a quant oriented prof. at ucsd a couple years ago and he recommended that any top student applying to top programs should try and take courses in probability and statistics, calculus, and perhaps linear algebra. A course in econometrics can be a poor substitute for the stats/calc. I am sure other things like GRE scores, econ classes, etc. can also be great indicators of quant ability.

I talked to a quant oriented prof. at ucsd a couple years ago and he recommended that any top student applying to top programs should try and take courses in probability and statistics, calculus, and perhaps linear algebra. A course in econometrics can be a poor substitute for the stats/calc. I am sure other things like GRE scores, econ classes, etc. can also be great indicators of quant ability.

Thanks, I will see if there are any summer classes I could take :)