Very stupid question, but...

libbyliblib

I'm a bit confused about how Master's degrees in the US are viewed by employers. In the UK, when you get a Master's, it's graded as Merit/Distinction depending on how well you do. In the US, do you tell employers your GPA, or do you just say, yo, I have a Master's- in which case it sort of doesn't matter how well you do? I'm basically trying to work out how important it'll be to do really well. I am lazy...

Thanks!

Generally, you put it on your resume, like this:

Education

Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA June 2013

MA, American Literature

UC Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA June 2011

BA, English

To be honest, I've never heard of an employer asking for your GPA. They may find out from your references (no doubt including your advisor) whether you worked hard or not, though.

In general, most employers do not ask about your GPA. However, I worked for a niche energy consulting firm that requested graduate transcripts and writing samples from job candidates. I say 'niche' because their field is a highly specialized sector of the energy consulting business, and consultants are expected to have exceptional writing skills on top of being great in their field. This firm recruited mostly people with MS and/or PhD degrees in civil & environmental engineering, energy & resources, energy management & policy, and economics.

A friend of mine who works in human resources disagrees. Many people put GPA on the resume and if he doesn't see your GPA he assumes you graduated with poor marks. This is not necessarily an assumption you want floating around. GPA is especially important on resumes when it is your first job after leaving a degree program and it is easier to remove for subsequent jobs since education is less important in the hirin process then.

A friend of mine who works in human resources disagrees. Many people put GPA on the resume and if he doesn't see your GPA he assumes you graduated with poor marks. This is not necessarily an assumption you want floating around. GPA is especially important on resumes when it is your first job after leaving a degree program and it is easier to remove for subsequent jobs since education is less important in the hirin process then.

Do you think this is field specific? In academia, you may see the designation cum lade next to their degree on the cv but no GPA. Just browsed faculty cv's for my program and none list their GPA.

I don't believe it is field specific, rather industry specific. I.e Academia vs. Industry. OP mentioned a master's degree which is not usually a sufficient credential to enter the professorate without further schooling, which is why I related the HR story.

It's optional to list on resumes. I like my GPA so I've always included it right under the degree in the format that UnlikelyGrad has. Employers probably will not ask if you dont include it though, but some may.