UNC Charlotte, or Nanyang Technological university?

hhhhhh6660

Hey guys, I got a TA from UNC Charlotte and an RA from Nanyang Technological university(in Singapore), both are Ph.D program in Mechanical Engineering. I am an college senior in China, and the United States is my dream country, I always hope I could one day be there. However, UNC charlotte ranks pretty low both in discipline rank(90+ in Mechanical Engineering) and in overall rank(almost 200), I am afraid it would be very difficult for me to find a good job in the US after I graduate, or even come back to China. I want to listen to you guys' advice, and I think they will mean a lot to me.

PS: I want to go to industry after I graduate.

Edited by hhhhhh6660

Hey guys, I got a TA from UNC Charlotte and an RA from Nanyang Technological university(in Singapore), both are Ph.D program in Mechanical Engineering. I am an college senior in China, and the United States is my dream country, I always hope I could one day be there. However, UNC charlotte ranks pretty low both in discipline rank(90+ in Mechanical Engineering) and in overall rank(almost 200), I am afraid it would be very difficult for me to find a good job in the US after I graduate, or even come back to China. I want to listen to you guys' advice, and I think they will mean a lot to me.

PS: I want to go to industry after I graduate.

I know nothing about Nanyang Technological university, so it's difficult to compare. Do you know which professor you want to work with for your PhD? Charlotte is a big city, it's the biggest in North Carolina. To my knowledge, a school's ranking is only important if you want to teach at a high-end university, because I've met numerous of successful professional chemists and engineers with a PhD from 2nd-tier, 3rd-tier or even a non-ranked school.

I think with your international background you should be fine. :)

UNC Charlotte is a very nice school and Charlotte is a great city. I have visited the campus before when I considered transferring there for my undergraduate studies. With a graduate degree from this university especially in engineering it would not hinder you from getting a job here in the United States. I went to school with a lot of engineering students at a similarily ranked university and a lot of them made great contacts and did very well. Things are always what you make of them. I really don't know much about the university in Singapore but if it is your dream to go to a U.S. university you should definitely do it.