How old are you?

tryffelgris

I'm going to be 28 when I start. Glad to see not everyone here is straight out of undergrad :) (but I do expect to be a bit older than my cohort average)
Not necessarily. I got the impression that late 20s - early 30s is quite common in grad school.

I'm 29, by the way.

25 when i start! oof.

have any of you youngin's ever had a real job? always wondered about that. like, if having a job and being out there in the real world affects grad experience/performance at all.

Depends on what you mean by "real job." I delivered pizza for a year - LOVED that job. I work two part-time jobs now, both at my college - one of them especially has a lot of responsibility tied to it. But I haven't had a job where they would expect me to stay for 5+ years or anything.

EDIT: note that two part-time jobs = 40 hrs/wk = full-time

I'm 23 now and I'll be 24. I have been working a full time job for 13 months now. I think it's been great life experience. I work in an educational setting, so I didn't really veer off of my goal but just getting a feel for the politics, different time management (i used to take late classes and sleep in a lot now i work 9-5). Also, I'm able to apply sociology to everything which is the tops!

25 when i start! oof.

have any of you youngin's ever had a real job? always wondered about that. like, if having a job and being out there in the real world affects grad experience/performance at all.

I'm going to go with the easy answer here and say that it depends on the person. When I graduated from undergrad, I was in no way ready for a PhD program. It took years of work experience - and life experience, for that matter - for me to get to this point. But I completely understand that not everyone needs that level of soul-searching before sending out their applications.

I'm probably going to be the old married lady of my cohort at 27 when I start.

I don't think age makes a difference, but maturity can make a huge difference. People do very different things in those year(s) between undergrad and grad school. And some people want to "work hard, party hard" while others just want to "work hard and sleep hard" or even "work hard and raise my kids". Keeps things interesting having all types, I think, especially in a field like sociology.

Personally, I'm glad I'm a few years out because I've gained a lot of skills in the workplace that I didn't get in undergrad or grad school. Like team leadership, customer service and business etiquette skills - all very transferable.

And for those of us who are married, it's a heck of a lot easier to be a student when your spouse is bringing home a paycheck! (assuming he can find a job in this dismal economy!)