Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

34739056.jpg

Haha mainly I'm just SO EXCITED that we are about to have a new cohort I can't contain myself! AHHHHH! I had so much fan last year on the prospective student visit, I want to make that happen again! :D And I want to wish good luck to everyone! I know just how crazy I felt last year at this time, and I have survived! :D

I got my first rejection today, and in some way, it actually felt good. I mean, I totally want to throw a hissy fit and stomp and scream that it's not fair... but at least I know my anxiety over the past weeks was justified. I just want the rest of my rejections so I can curl up with booze, fattening food, and my misery and tell the rest of the world to FOD. Fruitless hope is so much worse than rejection.

Agreed. Also, best.avatar.ever.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I just heard from the admin assistant at Rutgers and she told me that we should expect to hear the last week of Feb or the first week of March. I also heard from a prof at Wayne State but all he said was "fairly soon," which doesn't give me a better idea at ALL! The silence is killing me.

Hey friends! Just wanted to throw out there, I heard rumors today that the adcomm here at UNC is finalizing decisions basically as we speak and will be starting to notify soon! I know I got my e-mail last year at about 8 pm, so keep your eyes out! :) I am crpssing my fingers for all of you!!

Do you happen to have any more insider information on UNC's admissions process that you might be willing to divulge? I don't want to pry, but UNC is my top choice and has been my "dream school" for years, so I'm a bit of a nervous wreck here.

It's insane, hidalgo. It's pure capitalism. We're perpetuating it continually. Don't get me wrong, though, I'm buying-in like all the rest, but just look closely at any English Department and it should be clear that the process is failing us. For the most part, the wrong people are critics, the wrong people are teaching Literature, the wrong people are accepted. Also, economic inequality is a major flaw in the process, and no one seems to care to turn the critical eye inward. 

What the fuck did I just read?!

Hey friends! Just wanted to throw out there, I heard rumors today that the adcomm here at UNC is finalizing decisions basically as we speak and will be starting to notify soon! I know I got my e-mail last year at about 8 pm, so keep your eyes out! :) I am crpssing my fingers for all of you!!

Hey bdon19!  My application season thus far has been very dismal, and though your news terrifies me, I'm grateful for it.  Hopefully UNC sends good news my way!

Edited by Two Espressos

Found out one of my recommenders didn't submit her letter to OSU correctly. Could've turned out awfully, but they (mercifully) called her and told her the only thing keeping me from admissions was her letter. She of course obliged (I totally just realized she graduated from the same program in the 60s). 

Do you happen to have any more insider information on UNC's admissions process that you might be willing to divulge? I don't want to pry, but UNC is my top choice and has been my "dream school" for years, so I'm a bit of a nervous wreck here.

Unfortunately, I only heard this from a friend, who heard it from a faculty member he passed on the staircase today.  Other than that, I don't know much at all.  I don't even know who's on the committee, minus the admissions director, DGS, and such.  Good luck to you though!  UNC is a great place to be! :)

Hey bdon19!  My application season thus far has been very dismal, and though your news terrifies me, I'm grateful for it.  Hopefully UNC sends good news my way!

Good luck to you, Two Espressos! You've been working so hard at this; I really hope it works out for you!! :)

Unfortunately, I only heard this from a friend, who heard it from a faculty member he passed on the staircase today.  Other than that, I don't know much at all.  I don't even know who's on the committee, minus the admissions director, DGS, and such.  Good luck to you though!  UNC is a great place to be! :)

Good luck to you, Two Espressos! You've been working so hard at this; I really hope it works out for you!! :)

ACK! I'm so nervous about UNC!

Um, YES. I wonder if we really will hear tonight... Do programs often notify in the evening?

Programs notify at all times of day, since it's really just a question of a professor sending out an email. And profs often do their emailing at night.

Um, YES. I wonder if we really will hear tonight... Do programs often notify in the evening?

I got my admission from UNC around 8 pm (9 pm NC time) last year, so yes, it's possible! Fingers crossed for y'all! :)

First acceptance notification from UCI on the board now!!!!
That's me. It was a generic email from DGS saying I should get more info from "whatever program I applied to" in the next few days. So I wouldn't be surprised if all the acceptances went out just now.

That's me. It was a generic email from DGS saying I should get more info from "whatever program I applied to" in the next few days. So I wouldn't be surprised if all the acceptances went out just now.

Congratulations! Did you receive this email this evening?

Lol thank you. Here's an update for those waiting to hear from Irvine. I just got a phone call from the grad chair who said that DGS wasn't actually supposed to send out the email yet. The only reason I got early acceptance was because of Deans fellowship nomination and diversity fellowship nod, but it didn't say anything about those things in the email. On the phone she said they would match and raise any other offer I've been given from other schools because they "knew they would have to fight for me". I feel so blessed and cursed :/ is it possible for a school to guilt you into enrolling? Too much to think about. Good luck in the coming hours and days my friends. I love you all.

Edited by KeelyMK

This is utterly and completely off-topic, but, girl who wears glasses: I just read this in Mary Ann Doane's "Film and the Masquerade" (which I'm teaching tomorrow):

"The woman who wears glasses constitutes one of the most intense visual cliches of the cinema. The image is a heavily marked condensation of motifs concerned with repressed sexuality, knowledge, visibility and vision, intellectuality and undesirability; but the moment she removes her glasses (a moment which, it seems, must always be shown and which is itself linked with a certain sensual quality), she is transformed into spectacle, the very picture of desire."

Made me think of you (and, of course, She's All That). ;)