Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

I told them I am going. I feel a little nervous, just because, well, what? Huh?

I know. These kinds of things ALWAYS make me nervous. What if I go and I say something stupid? Not just foot-in-mouth stupid, but so mind-numingly off-base that they regret having admitted me?

Hey, gwarner, are you planning to go to the UT Austin visit weekend? I'm at a place where I feel mildly confident about my choice, but I'm far too conflicted to make a final decision without visiting. I wish it was scheduled earlier, though!

Buffalo, the people of the scary changing website, need to not be sending rejections via postal service.

Condolences dazed.

Ha! J/K, just got my rejection too.

Man, this week was brutal.

Yep! Looks like it will be my only straight acceptance at this point (unless something delayed and unexpected happens with Rutgers or Tufts over the next couple days). UCLA's my top choice for personal/geographic reasons, so I'll likely wait that out as long as possible. SUPER excited about Austin, though. I've heard great things...but, yeah, I'd love to get out there sooner.

Yep! Looks like it will be my only straight acceptance at this point (unless something delayed and unexpected happens with Rutgers or Tufts over the next couple days). UCLA's my top choice for personal/geographic reasons, so I'll likely wait that out as long as possible. SUPER excited about Austin, though. I've heard great things...but, yeah, I'd love to get out there sooner.

It's a pretty great school to have as your only option, that's for sure! I think the time between acceptance and visit weekend has made me feel more ambivalence about my choices than I would have two weeks ago.

Hullo! Yet another lurker coming out of the woodwork. A hearty congratulations to all of you on your acceptances!

Anybody here going to the Berkeley Visit Weekend in mid-March? I'm terribly anxious that I will come across as a bumbling, inarticulate fool and squander any chance of making a good first impression.

Has anyone heard anything from the University of Pennsylvania for the PhD in English Literature? I see a few acceptances posted on the boards, but nothing yet about rejections. Although I'm fairly happy with my current options, I was very much hoping to have UPenn as an option simply for faculty fit.

I'm still waiting to hear from Penn too.  I know at this point I can't hope for an acceptance--not when they've been doing it for so long.  But I just want to know.

Actually...I feel like that for a lot of places. Rochester seems to have sent out acceptances on Tuesday, Penn has been doing it for ages, and UIUC has a few acceptances up too.  Does anyone know anything about these schools?  Do they do "rounds" of acceptances, all in one fell swoop, how long do they wait between accepting and rejecting, etc?

Seriously, universities.  If you don't want me, just say it.  It's bloody cruel to give me the silent treatment.  Can the five of you I have left just send all your decisions in one day?  If there's no good news, as long as I don't give into the temptation to throw myself dramatically into Lake Superior within 24 hours, I'll survive, and I can move on with my life in one way or the other.  /rant

I'm still waiting to hear from Penn too.  I know at this point I can't hope for an acceptance--not when they've been doing it for so long.  But I just want to know.

Actually...I feel like that for a lot of places. Rochester seems to have sent out acceptances on Tuesday, Penn has been doing it for ages, and UIUC has a few acceptances up too.  Does anyone know anything about these schools?  Do they do "rounds" of acceptances, all in one fell swoop, how long do they wait between accepting and rejecting, etc?

Seriously, universities.  If you don't want me, just say it.  It's bloody cruel to give me the silent treatment.  Can the five of you I have left just send all your decisions in one day?  If there's no good news, as long as I don't give into the temptation to throw myself dramatically into Lake Superior within 24 hours, I'll survive, and I can move on with my life in one way or the other.  /rant

I hate to say it, but the way I've been thinking about it, I am at least glad we have found the grad forum because then we know our implicit rejections. And let me be frank, 9 times out of 10 an implicit rejection is a rejection ultimately. And I am saying this as somebody with tons of implicit rejections from elite schools.

Can you imagine if I didn't have this forum? I would still be holding out hope for all of these schools that are probably ultimately going to send me a rejection email sometime in april, which would be brutal.

Edited by ImWantHazPhD

ImWantHazPhD: So you're one of the lucky Tufts people! I've been wondering where they were on these forums. Congratulations! That looks like such a great department. Can I ask you, do you have an MA already? I hear they're more reluctant to accept people with MAs into the program because they offer a MA/PhD. 

I hate to say it, but the way I've been thinking about it, I am at least glad we have found the grad forum because then we know our implicit rejections. And let me be frank, 9 times out of 10 an implicit rejection is a rejection ultimately. And I am saying this as somebody with tons of implicit rejections from elite schools.

Can you imagine if I didn't have this forum? I would still be holding out hope for all of these schools that are probably ultimately going to send me a rejection email sometime in april, which would be brutal.

I agree--I did this song and dance once without GC, and it was horrible.  This place has sent me into nervous breakdowns by itself, but it's still been a great resource.  And I know implicit rejections are almost always rejections, in my head.  But that stupid little spark of "maybe I haven't flunked life again" just won't quite die until I've collected every answer.  Miracles do happen...

True. Granted, even before finding this forum I was told that not hearing anything before March is a bad sign, if merely because of the logistics of setting up travel and visits. 

I guess the good and bad of GradCafe is having basically up to the minute knowledge of when acceptances start to go out. Otherwise I might still be hanging hopes on quite a few schools instead of using this time to evaluate my current options.

@gwarner13, yes I am!

Hm, I haven't received word from Buffalo yet either.  I have that "under committee review-- 2/20/2013" line on my status page as well.

But remember guys: it's witchcraft.  Either that or some webmaster fucking with us, making barely perceptible changes to the page.  :)

ImWantHazPhD: So you're one of the lucky Tufts people! I've been wondering where they were on these forums. Congratulations! That looks like such a great department. Can I ask you, do you have an MA already? I hear they're more reluctant to accept people with MAs into the program because they offer a MA/PhD. 

Hello and thanks. Yes, I will have an MA by Spring.

Hm, I haven't received word from Buffalo yet either. I have that "under committee review-- 2/20/2013" line on my status page as well.

But remember guys: it's witchcraft. Either that or some webmaster fucking with us, making barely perceptible changes to the page. :)

I don't have that (yet). Which either means nothing or that they just tossed my app out months ago.