Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

Emailed Columbia GSAS admissions this morning asking about my application status, indicating the program I applied to. Received this:

"Dear (CodeBlue),

Your application is still under review. We expect that the faculty committee on admissions will return Ph.D. decisions sometime near the end of February or March. You will be notified via email when a decision has been reached."

The French Foreign Legion will have to wait a bit. 

Btw, I called Columbia just a bit ago. While they (Virginia Kay) couldn't tell me which list my name was on, they did confirm that all admittances went out last night. :/

Emailed Columbia GSAS admissions this morning asking about my application status, indicating the program I applied to. Received this:

"Dear (CodeBlue),

Your application is still under review. We expect that the faculty committee on admissions will return Ph.D. decisions sometime near the end of February or March. You will be notified via email when a decision has been reached."

The French Foreign Legion will have to wait a bit. 

So it sounds like both responses are more or less saying the same thing :-/

Man, that one hits hard. It's weird how fast this process has gone over just the past couple weeks.

@dazedandbemused, oh, I'm thrilled! Just felt sort of odd responding to the inquiry.

Oh, haha. Yeah, we get all up in each other's business around here; we often ask people to claim an acceptance because if it's real we can start foaming at the mouth/suffering from insomnia immediately.

But seriously though. Has anyone claimed that Penn phone call from last night? We want to bother you...

You really think there's still hope for Penn?

Sure, there haven't been many acceptances on the board, but with waitlists already sent out, and the fact that there is a great possibility that all the accepted people don't post here...

You really think there's still hope for Penn?

Sure, there haven't been many acceptances on the board, but with waitlists already sent out, and the fact that there is a great possibility that all the accepted people don't post here...

I don't think there's hope for me but I'm not convinced they're done the way I am some other programs, you know?

Okay, I'm officially an idiot, but I figured one of you could help me. For the life of me, I cannot find the link to the application status check page for Chicago. I could have sworn I've checked it before, but can't find it anywhere in my records or get to it through the website. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. With the recent rejections posted that found out by randomly checking the website, I figured I should just look and officially cross Chicago off the list. Does anyone have the link?

Don't know if this was answered, but there is no general status check page.  When they make a decision, you access your application and above where it says "Verify Address" will be another field labelled "Status Update" with a link to your decision letter.  

They haven't updated mine yet this year, but I'm assuming all acceptances went out.  Rejections last year were updated in early March.

I don't think there's hope for me but I'm not convinced they're done the way I am some other programs, you know?

No, I didn't mean to allude that you shouldn't be hoping or anything, I'm just asking because I shouldn't be hoping, but still am, because my POI told me that they're hiring one, maybe two people from my field this year.

Basically, I need someone to slap me, tell me that there's no hope, and that I should get back to work. :(

Don't know if this was answered, but there is no general status check page.  When they make a decision, you access your application and above where it says "Verify Address" will be another field labelled "Status Update" with a link to your decision letter.  

They haven't updated mine yet this year, but I'm assuming all acceptances went out.  Rejections last year were updated in early March.

Thanks, Orbis. I'm expecting a rejection, but I thought I could check the page and just have it over with!

Congrats on your acceptances, both awesome programs!

No, I didn't mean to allude that you shouldn't be hoping or anything, I'm just asking because I shouldn't be hoping, but still am, because my POI told me that they're hiring one, maybe two people from my field this year.

Basically, I need someone to slap me, tell me that there's no hope, and that I should get back to work. :(

I read it as intended, promise! I just have had a lot of morbid curiosity about Penn's decisions but not much hope. I'll stop stirring up hope, though. My suspicion that they're not done is probably not helping anyone and all I'm getting out of it is some solid procrastination.

Hey Orbis, I see you got into Pitt! I know we aren't having a visit weekend, but are you going to do an individual campus visit?

Yes.  I'm still unsure as to when, because my March is hectic and their spring break interferes with my best week.  Pitt isn't far though, so I'll definitely be going to check it out sometime soon.

I read it as intended, promise! I just have had a lot of morbid curiosity about Penn's decisions but not much hope. I'll stop stirring up hope, though. My suspicion that they're not done is probably not helping anyone and all I'm getting out of it is some solid procrastination.

I wrote and asked. I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything! 

And on a totally unrelated note--who knew Michigan and Maryland would wait so long to notify? NOT THIS GUY. 

The worst thing is that basically, no matter what I say, I want people to tell me stuff like "It's not over until it's over."  Masochistic much?

Yes.  I'm still unsure as to when, because my March is hectic and their spring break interferes with my best week.  Pitt isn't far though, so I'll definitely be going to check it out sometime soon.

Cool, maybe we'll run into each other. Nancy Glazener said something about meeting other acceptees over the next few weeks.

(I also told her about gradcafe a few days ago, and now I feel like Big Brother's watching me whenever I write anything that could potentially identify me :ph34r: )