Is anyone actually waiting until April 15th to decide?

yoshiko

Just as my topic asks, is anyone gong to wait until that last week? I want to because I actually can't visit the school until that last week (only days I can go) and I am pretty sure I will say yes to them but I really don't know until I go there.

Considering I've yet to receive replies of any sort from all 5 schools I applied to, I have a niggling (understatement of the century) concern that my decision will come well after April 15, if at all!!

I am waitlisted for my top choice. The offer of admission includes full funding (tuition, stipend and benefits). I have two backups. Of the two backups, my preferred program has offered an archiving fellowship for the first quarter. I am waiting for a response on applications that I've submitted for TA positions in related programs. Should both of the above fall through, I'll be accepting an offer from my third choice.

The cause of much of my anxiety rests in my top choice's decision deadline. Unlike many schools who request their admitted applicants offer their decision by April 15th, my prospective program permits decisions to be given as late as May 1st. I'm hoping to hear back from them before I am forced to accept another offer.

Yeah, I'm wait listed as well. Though they said they're not looking at the wait list till after April 15th, I'm holding out hope. Might ask the school that I got into for an extension (both for the wait list and also the fact I don't have a thousand dollars on hand for their deposit). Hopefully they'll let me and everything will work out.

I'm waiting until a few days before the 15th (probably the Friday before) because I've been waitlisted for funding at one of my top choices. I've figured out which program I'll enroll in if I don't end up getting funding, but I don't want to make a final decision and then get a better offer from the waitlisting institution. I'll be happy either way, but I don't want to commit before knowing all of my options.

While I think my decision has been made for me... I have one school left to hear back from at all and they virtually guaranteed not to get back to me until right around April 15th. I don't know that there's much money to be had in this offer of admission relative to the program to which I am currently inclined... and if there isn't funding, I probably won't accept... but this remaining school has the potential to be a game changer. My significant other and I have been trying to coordinate schools and while we had originally planned to switch coasts, he recently got off the waitlist at UC Davis which is a significantly cheaper and no less quality program. While I got into plenty of state school's here in CA... I'm not sure there is funding for me. The most economically viable option right now would put the entire mainland US between us, but if somehow I managed to get funding at my top choice... While we'd still have a rather significant distance between us... We could at least be in the same time zone. A girl can dream lol.

Edited by ScoutFinch

I'm intending to sort out the details with my girlfriend this weekend (she's applying to master's programs, I'm applying to PhD programs) and figure out where we'll both go by Monday the 9th. There are so many more factors to consider with two people, though. Gahh!!

I'm not waitlisted, but I am waiting to hear back from one more school regarding both admission and financial assistance. What makes it harder is that it's my top choice. I'm going crazy over it by checking my email a million times a day and having dreams about being at the school.

I'm waiting to hear from the school I'm 99% sure I'll be attending about a particular scholarship I applied for, which I hope to hear about tomorrow or Tuesday. I'm also kind of holding out because I have this horrible idea in my head that School B has a better reputation then School A. Alas, School A is a better fit with my interests academically and just feels right so I know unless something earth shattering happens I'll be picking School A lol.

According to one of my good friends who was in our place this time last year, it feels so much better once you accept an offer. I'm REALLLLLYYYY ready for that haha.

There is no way this is healthy!!! Putting so so many people on tenterhooks during these couple of weeks is downright unfair and rude. I'm sure there is a better way to do all this..

I'm waiting for one school to get back to me.. I don't know whether they have made their decisions already (there is just one entry in the gradcafe results survey) and put me on some 'uncommunicated' waitlist or if they're just taking their good old time to decide.. I'm guessing it's the former..

There is no way this is healthy!!! Putting so so many people on tenterhooks during these couple of weeks is downright unfair and rude. I'm sure there is a better way to do all this..

Seriously.... for us waitlisters, it's like we're playing this crazy timing game. I'm waitlisted at my top choice, who said they'd let me know one way or the other "before the 15th" and quite possibly on the 14th, so I've had to email my second choice school (who offered me admission) to see what the EXACT latest time is I can accept them. My top choice is being as awesome as possible about it though, my contact there even said he thought it was unfair.

It's just so ridiculous... I can't wait until all of this is finally freaking OVER. gah. 7 more days guys!!!

I am waitlisted for funding (a TAship) at one program and the other offer is fully funded. If I can't get funding for the first year, I am definitely going to have to accept the other school. But I'm waiting.

I am waitlisted for funding (a TAship) at one program and the other offer is fully funded. If I can't get funding for the first year, I am definitely going to have to accept the other school. But I'm waiting.

Ooh, look, a doppleganger....

I JUST put my offer acceptance in the mail about an hour ago. I cut it a little close but not too close. I still haven't heard from one school but I don't really feel like I want to go there now after having a few months after putting in my application to think about it. I felt right at home at one of the programs and it's a pretty good match for my research, so I decided to go ahead and roll with it.

It does feel so much better once you send in your decision. Now I just have to make it through the rest of senior year and the summer without going too crazy.

I'm glad I read this thread, I'm on two waitlists and I've been carrying around an unhealthy resentment towards those who haven't made up their minds yet (I just want some certainty!). Apparently I should be angry at the programs that have been slow in sending notifications. I hope you all get into the top programs you are waiting on (since I'm looking at mid-tier schools).

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use