Public Policy PhDs

lm776c

Hey Guys!

It seems that most people on here are for MPAs and MPPs so I wanted to start a thread for people applying to PhDs. I know GWU made announcements regarding Master's students but have yet to announce anything for the PhDs. Pardee Rand is supposed to send out emails this Friday. I applied to two other non-policy programs (U. Colorado, U. Texas @ Austin) and nothing on them have come either so I'm 0 for 4 on hearing back.

Where is everyone applying and who have you heard from (if from anyone yet)?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good call on starting a separate thread!

There are two admits to Duke for the PhD on the results page. I haven't gotten my results from them yet (which I'm taking to be a bad thing).

I applied to one Political Science PhD program in addition to my five policy schools. The PSc program is the only one I've heard back from (accepted with funding). So I at least know I am going somewhere! But I would really like to start hearing from Policy schools so I can know what my options are. I should be zen with one funded offer but instead I think I am even more stressed now.

Be optimisstic!

Which PSc program did you get into? CONGRATS! What Policy schools did you apply to? Any idea from last years results as to when you should be hearing back?

Knowing that you can at least go somewhere would be nice......I'm resultless right now although granted I'm working full time right now so if all else fails, I just keep working, but thats not what im looking for.

Good luck on the policy results and Duke!

I applied to Duke (the Sociology track), Chicago, Carnegie Mellon, Brandeis (Social Policy) and Maryland. The Poli Sci I applied (and was accepted to) was Texas A&M. I applied there because it's a good school that is also relatively close to where I grew up.

It's good that you have the back-up of work. I've sort of gambled everything on this! I moved back from DC a year ago (I worked there about six years) to care for my grandmother. She died last summer and I made the decision then to not look for a "real" job and instead to apply to grad school (I figured if I didn't do it now, when?). So I'm ECSTATIC to know I am going somewhere!

Where all did you apply?

I applied to PhD policy programs at GWU and American. I also applied to some health policy programs, that are structured differently since they are house in the dept of public health. So far I'm in at one of my health policy programs which I'm really happy about! So we'll see what I end up doing.

I only applied to two policy programs, GWU and RAND. My background is in engineering so I also applied to two Aerospace Engineering PhD programs (at colorado and texas as i mentioned above) as kind of a back up in case i dont get into the policy programs. I kind of applied to the engineering ones cause i felt obligated to, being an engineer, but really I want to go the policy route so I'm hoping I get into one of the two. RAND said they'd let us know this friday (eeekkk) and looking at last years results, I think GWU will update the website next friday (or around then sometime). So I guess I dont have to wait in anticipation for too much longer but the closer it gets, the more anxious I get.

International applicant here to a mix of Poli Sci and Public Policy programs. I applied to WWS (Public Affairs) and Syracuse (Public Admin). Yes, I appreciate that these are uber-competitive schools, but I chose not to cast a huge net in the USA because there are only a handful of places where I would be willing to live. Seems like we policy wonks have some more time to wait before the results come pouring in...

I applied to one Public Policy PhD program - at Texas LBJ. The rest of my applications are to Education Policy doctoral programs in education schools. Haven't heard anything from them (or any of my schools, for that matter...annoying), but the status website says that my "file has been forwarded to the Graduate Committee for review"...not quite sure what that means, but I hope it means I'll know something soon! Would love to get in there - I did my undergrad at UT and it would be so great to move back to Austin, plus I like how interdisciplinary the PhD program is at LBJ.

Good luck to everyone!

For what it's worth, and I don't know that anyone reading this cares but me, I just spoke to Duke and was lead to believe that they are not done making offers. I know some offers have been made, but apparently not all! I was told all decisions would be out within the next two weeks (aargh).

Thanks! I'm guessing GWU results will be this Friday so hopefully its not too bad Fridays in a row. I'll actually be visiting another school that day so perhaps I wont get the results until Saturday ;) One good thing about GWU vs RAND, rand guarantees you money whereas GWU doesnt. Financing school isnt a huge issue (company pays for it) so if they dont want to let me in with money, maybe they'll at least offer me admissions where rand couldnt do that

Well, I couldn't take the wait and so I emailed WWS to ask when I'd get a response about the PhD in Public Affairs.

They emailed back saying 'All admissions decisions will be sent out in mid-March.'