Public Policy PhDs

lm776c

Congratulations!

Thanks! I also got admitted to two health policy programs, so I need to try to wrap my head around this one! Anyone have a take on if it's better to go a broad public policy program with a topical focus (like GW or American) vs. a more narrow program like health policy (education policy, etc.)?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I applied to several policy programs as well as sociology programs. For policy, I applied to Harvard (social policy) and didn't get in, Princeton (social policy) and didn't get in, Duke (public policy, soc track) and was accepted, and I'm waiting to hear from Michigan (public policy & soc) and Chicago (public policy).

Given the Duke acceptance, I do have to decide now if I'd rather be in the public policy Ph.D. world or in soc...so there's a lot of weighing options going on in my head right now.

Thanks! I also got admitted to two health policy programs, so I need to try to wrap my head around this one! Anyone have a take on if it's better to go a broad public policy program with a topical focus (like GW or American) vs. a more narrow program like health policy (education policy, etc.)?

I think the answer to your question lies in what your career goals are. If you are set on a particularly defined career path you may want to pick a narrow focus. However, if you are still undecided, it may be in your best in your interest to attend a school that provides an education that is more broad.

They could be doing it by field? I think your chances are still good since we some rejections early on!

Very true. I'm trying to remain optimisstic! I did notice however that last year on like march fifth, someone was waitlisted so I'm wondering if that is the path i ll be taking. you're healthy policy right? I'm going for sci and tech so going by fields is very possible. are you still waiting on some schools? are you leaning towards any particular school yet?

International applicant here to a mix of Poli Sci and Public Policy programs. I applied to WWS (Public Affairs) and Syracuse (Public Admin). Yes, I appreciate that these are uber-competitive schools, but I chose not to cast a huge net in the USA because there are only a handful of places where I would be willing to live. Seems like we policy wonks have some more time to wait before the results come pouring in...

What programs, if any, have you applied to in Canada? In the realm of public/international affairs I'm waiting on the Balsillie School (Waterloo). I'm interested if anyone else has applied to this program and what they know about its admissions, perceived rep, etc. It's relatively new so there's not a lot of information out there on it.

Very true. I'm trying to remain optimisstic! I did notice however that last year on like march fifth, someone was waitlisted so I'm wondering if that is the path i ll be taking. you're healthy policy right? I'm going for sci and tech so going by fields is very possible. are you still waiting on some schools? are you leaning towards any particular school yet?

I'm still waiting for American's Public Admin/Policy PhD program, but chances of me going there even if I get in are pretty slim since they don't have a health subfield as such. I'm also in at UNC and JHU for heath policy specific programs. As right now I still can't decide at all, but then I also don't have any tangible funding information, so hopefully it will be clearer later!

I'm still waiting for American's Public Admin/Policy PhD program, but chances of me going there even if I get in are pretty slim since they don't have a health subfield as such. I'm also in at UNC and JHU for heath policy specific programs. As right now I still can't decide at all, but then I also don't have any tangible funding information, so hopefully it will be clearer later!

Good luck on that!

Hi,

Ejuliast, do you know whether Duke was giving out notifications by concentration area? I am super nervous and they are one of my top choices, but I haven't heard from them yet. Any info would be appreciated!

I emailed Duke on Friday, February 20th after seeing offers on here the previous Monday and not having heard anything myself (I applied Sociology track like Ejuliast). They told me then that they would get notices out within two weeks (so by this coming Friday).

runningonfaith - Did you ever hear from Duke on Monday? I saw lots of rejections on the board but I still haven't gotten one...So I'm going a little insane at this point. However, since they told me two weeks, and that two weeks isn't up until Friday, I am going to wait until then to contact them again.

Hi publicpolicy79,

I did hear from them, and got rejected. I think I am now out at 4 of the 5 schools I applied to (officially heard from 2, the other 2 have contacted accepted applicants and didn't contact me so I am guessing I am out), and am really bummed. I hope you have better luck than me - maybe the fact that you haven't heard is a good thing :)

Best of luck.

I'm sorry faith!

I STILL haven't heard anything from them (I'm driving everyone around me as crazy as I already am too). I am giving them until Friday then I'm contacting them again. THe problem with this is that after I saw some acceptances posted and I didn't hear anything I decided that meant I was getting rejected and made my peace with it. Now the lack of news when all the other rejections have been showing up has given me hope. Which will make the ultimate rejection (just as likely as not) sting even more. Grrr... I am so ready to just know something on all my schools, but I still have four others I haven't heard a word from!

Waitlisted at GWU. I've never been waitlisted before so does anyone know how the whole process works, specifically at GWU. like when do they let us know for sure if we can or can't go?

Is there anyone else who still hasn't heard from Duke for the Public Policy PhD? I didn't get a rejection on Monday like a lot of people did (or an offer two weeks before). I emailed the person who had responded to confirm receipt of my writing sample and she told me everything would be out this week. But I am getting antsy and still haven't heard anything! Anyone else in this situation? Tell me I'm not alone.

So does that mean you will tear it up at JHU? :D

No, from what I heard they will try to have funding decided by mid-March. I have an unofficial notice of funding of at UNC though. Although I admit that now I have a fear that funding will somehow not materialize anywhere!

Nice, in at American's Public Admin PhD with at least some sort of money (details in the mail). So now I just need to try decide what to do! I'm officially done waiting for admissions. In at 4, out at 1. Not bad! Almost makes it worth having taken on $$$$$ in debt to get my MPP! :P