Public Policy PhDs

lm776c

Nice, in at American's Public Admin PhD with at least some sort of money (details in the mail). So now I just need to try decide what to do! I'm officially done waiting for admissions. In at 4, out at 1. Not bad! Almost makes it worth having taken on $$$$$ in debt to get my MPP! :P

CONGRATS rutabaga!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about sort of reviving this thread after a hiatus... Was looking to exchange info with those who've applied to/been accepted at NYU-Wagner. I did read of 2 acceptances on the Results page.

I, like TeeDub, have applied to a mixed bag of Public Policy and Ed schools.

Anyone heard from UMD-College Park, yet??

I also applied to Maryland and have not heard anything yet. I checked my status on Testudo and it says "Decision Pending". Based on my searches of previous years on the Results page I wouldn't expect to know anything until next week at the earliest!

Re-reviving the thread to add a question on here:

Has anyone attended a visit weekend for a public policy Ph.D. program yet? I'm heading to Duke next week and I'm wondering what to expect... Dress code? Activities? I've visited two schools for Soc programs but this is the first policy program I'm checking out.

Every place I have been to or asked this question (both Political Science and Public Policy programs) have been "business casual" to "casual". Do NOT show up in a suit. If you want to wear jeans, wear nice dark ones with a nice top. My wardrobe has either been dark jeans, button-down shirt and a jacket, or slacks and a sweater or button-down. I refuse to wander campus all day in a skirt because I can't wear comfortable walking shoes with a skirt!

There were some people that showed up in t-shirts and jeans, and no one really reacted at all, but I was glad I had made a little effort - I felt like it kinda put me on a more even footing with faculty. Like my grandmother would say, putting some effort into your appearance demonstrates respect for the people you are going to visit and yourself. (I'm not worried about you knowing this Ejuliast, that was meant more for the straight-out-of-undergrad crowd).

Also, nams, Maryland has made decisions, they just haven't notified yet. I am going to visit the DGS this week, so he told me I was in. Funding information is still being worked out, hence the delay. Supposedly my official letter should be coming in the next few days (though they are on spring break). He did say it was a large and competitive application field (as if I expected otherwise this year!). So good luck!

Every place I have been to or asked this question (both Political Science and Public Policy programs) have been "business casual" to "casual". Do NOT show up in a suit. If you want to wear jeans, wear nice dark ones with a nice top. My wardrobe has either been dark jeans, button-down shirt and a jacket, or slacks and a sweater or button-down. I refuse to wander campus all day in a skirt because I can't wear comfortable walking shoes with a skirt!

There were some people that showed up in t-shirts and jeans, and no one really reacted at all, but I was glad I had made a little effort - I felt like it kinda put me on a more even footing with faculty. Like my grandmother would say, putting some effort into your appearance demonstrates respect for the people you are going to visit and yourself. (I'm not worried about you knowing this Ejuliast, that was meant more for the straight-out-of-undergrad crowd).

Thanks! That's good to know - sounds like policy programs are just a bit more dressed up than sociology programs. I'm just going for the day, so maybe I'll put on some nice pants (agreed on the skirt - I'm not wearing heels all day!) or just dark jeans and a nice top.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know something about PhD admission results from American University and/or Indiana SPEA?

SPEA was the last school to reject me when I applied to PhD programs last year. Just checked - the letter was dated April 17th. VERY late IMO. Don't know if they sent out their admit letters earlier or something. Good luck!