How much debt is too much?

SLP1129

I'm trying to decide what school to attend for a masters in speech-language pathology. I have my heart set on UOregon but it is by far the most expensive of my options. I'm already coming out of my undergrad with $33,000 in debt and don't know if it is responsible of me to add much more. How much do you think is a reasonable amount of debt to graduate with? If money did not matter, I would choose University of Oregon in a second. Should I go where I really want to go or suck it up and attend a school that I'm not very excited about that is almost half the price?

Depends on how much you think you can make. The Occupational Outlook Handbook says that the 2010 median pay for SLPs was $66,920 per year, and the job outlook is faster than the average. Most likely you will find a decently-paying job after graduate school. It's generally recommended that you don't borrow more than your first year earnings, so I would say no more than $70,000? There's probably some leeway in that if you live frugally in your first years and pay down your loan quickly, so you may be able to reasonably borrow a little more than that. (Also may be difficult to keep the costs down below $70K if you are already $33K in debt - means you can only borrow $47K, which may only be enough to afford one year. You have to be realistic, too.)

Please put into account that interest accumulates during graduate school (even though you defer). Your loans might accumulating over $300 in interest each month...then it can capitlize....my student loans have severely increased now that I am in my gap year after my Master's. I don't think many students realize how interest adds up...and now you cannot subsidize ANY interest for a graduate student loan...not even for a IBR. This is heartbreaking. I was talking with the Dept of Education and they pretty much told me that I'm screwed if I cannot make $500 payments a month and I have less student loans than you....

Just be mindful of the aftermath of student loans. They are ugly.

I am a little surprised, as a UO alum, that it's the most expensive of your options. If it's a 2-year program, do you know if you can qualify for in-state tuition your second year?

Alternatively, I'd be happy to answer any questions about UO campus/facilities/Eugene... graduated 3 years ago in a liberal arts program. :)