Philadelphia!

kazoo

Hi future students of Tyler, Penn and PAFA!

It would be great to connect with some of you as we prepare to take over philly!

What neighborhood is everyone thinking of living in? Are you guys bringing your car? When are you planning to move?

any tips/thoughts/excitement/anxiety about the city?

happy tuesday!

Edited by kazoo

Hey! Just heard I was accepted too. Not sure if I am going yet or not..

Trying to decide between Tyler and Davis and USF. Doesn't sound like I would get much funding from tyler, hard to say if it would be enough of a benefit to outweigh the cost over the other programs?

I just got a job teaching woodworking, sculpture, and photo in a high school in the Philly suburbs. I would be nice to meet up with some of you as well since I will probably be missing the studio atmosphere.

Hey! Just heard I was accepted too. Not sure if I am going yet or not..

Trying to decide between Tyler and Davis and USF. Doesn't sound like I would get much funding from tyler, hard to say if it would be enough of a benefit to outweigh the cost over the other programs?

Congrats on being accepted caus! did you get to visit the school so far? In my case, talking to current grads and professors was really great.

I just got a job teaching woodworking, sculpture, and photo in a high school in the Philly suburbs. I would be nice to meet up with some of you as well since I will probably be missing the studio atmosphere.

Glad to hear you found a job post graduation! We should totally organize a gradcafe philly night out in september.

I'm not going to Grad school in Philadelphia but I have lived here for the past 7 years and went to Drexel for my undergrad if anyone has questions about the city at all =)

where do you recommend as affordable but nice/fun/young/relatively safe living? northern liberties? center city?

I've had some friends live in Northern Liberties and it has definitely boomed a lot in the past few years. It's pretty trendy with a lot of restaurants, bars, newer development and you can walk to old city from there or hop on the subway easily. Center City is great and I've never had a problem since I've lived here. As long as you don't look for trouble or go out by yourself at 2AM you should be fine :) There's affordable housing in really all of the neighborhoods if you surf Craigslist religiously like I do! If you are looking for night life, I recommend Old City, Northern Liberties, "Midtown Village" or Rittenhouse. For quieter living, Society Hill, Queen's Village, Washington Square or Fitler Square. I've never lived in the Fairmount area but I've heard good things. I also have some friends that live in south philly/graduate hospital area and love it there. Usually a bit cheaper housing but they do bike almost everywhere and don't rely on public transportation or walking.

Thanks for the info greeneggsntofu. I agree Kazoo, we should organize a meet up in September. Someone should collect the emails of those who are going to Philly, because by September no one will be checking this site anymore. I would be happy to do it if no one else does.

What did you think of your visit? I was not able to go.

I loved the new building. The studios were either private or semi private and spacious (by city standard).The grads I talked to were really friendly and creating interesting work. They seemed to like living in philly and taking part of the opportunities that are present there. All in all, I loved my visit, there seemed to be a good sense of community. I talked to one of the theory professors and it was my impression that the faculty takes care of their grads and are super available. You can easily take classes in other disciplines at Temple if you wish. They take weekly trips to new york in one of the theory classes.

I've had some friends live in Northern Liberties and it has definitely boomed a lot in the past few years. It's pretty trendy with a lot of restaurants, bars, newer development and you can walk to old city from there or hop on the subway easily. Center City is great and I've never had a problem since I've lived here. As long as you don't look for trouble or go out by yourself at 2AM you should be fine :) There's affordable housing in really all of the neighborhoods if you surf Craigslist religiously like I do! If you are looking for night life, I recommend Old City, Northern Liberties, "Midtown Village" or Rittenhouse. For quieter living, Society Hill, Queen's Village, Washington Square or Fitler Square. I've never lived in the Fairmount area but I've heard good things. I also have some friends that live in south philly/graduate hospital area and love it there. Usually a bit cheaper housing but they do bike almost everywhere and don't rely on public transportation or walking.

thanks greeneggsntofu!

Thanks for the info greeneggsntofu. I agree Kazoo, we should organize a meet up in September. Someone should collect the emails of those who are going to Philly, because by September no one will be checking this site anymore. I would be happy to do it if no one else does.

that would be great. we should all just send you our emails by message (or alternatively, use facebook)

Edited by kazoo

that would be great. we should all just send you our emails by message (or alternatively, use facebook)

True, everyone should just add me on facebook (my name is really Michael Webster, SAIC) and include a note that you will be in Philly next year and I can make a group or something to add everyone to.

Edited by michaelwebster

Most Tyler grads live in fishtown. It's more affordable than no libs, just as convenient. Has lots of local character and many bars and coffee shops. Also a couple decent galleries. Accessibilty to grad community off campus is the best feature though. Otherwise you have to commute to hang out with your friends, which especially sucks when it's freezing and you've been out at the bar.

Hello! I'm glad I found this! I've been weaning off the forum since my decision. I'll be attending PAFA in the fall!

For at least the first few months, I'm going to be living a little out of Philly (45 minute drive) but for free (can't beat that!). I'll have to commute by train (I heard parking is hell in Philly). BUT I agree about a meet up! It'll be pretty neat to have contacts from different schools and occupations. I'll PM you guys my facebook.