Languages We Know

annieca

Just like our fields of history thread, I thought it would be interesting to see what languages we all know. Feel free to add them as you see fit.

German

annieca

Spanish

annieca

French

Italian

Latin

Greek

Russian

I know I want to learn either Russian, Czech or Romanian because of my interest in Cold War and Post-Cold War history in Eastern Europe.

This is actually an interesting thread to me, because I find language acquisition to be such a loosely-defined thing among grad students in the humanities. I only have one outside of English that I can make a legitimate claim for--Portuguese. I have described myself as fluent before, maybe even on this site, but I'm probably really high proficient. After all, I began taking it in college. I put my all into learning it, studied in Brazil extensively, but I think true fluency is really a life-long thing, as in it's your first language or you've lived in a country for at least 5 years. I can understand a lot of Spanish, especially when I read it, but I would never tell anyone that it's one of my languages. Same for Italian. Even though I could, if absolutely necessary, get by in a conversation in either one.

Not trying to be a wise-guy, just a little skeptical about all of the people on gradcafe who are fluent in 3 or 4 languages.

German

annieca

Spanish

annieca

French

Hebrew

uhohlemonster

Italian

Latin

Greek

Russian

Polish

runaway

annieca-- I would start learning a Slavic language if you can. The grammar has quite a learning curve but getting the hang of one will make others much easier in the future, if you realize you need them. Romanian, at least, is a romance language, and shouldn't be too much trouble for you down the line if you already know Spanish! (Comparatively speaking, of course.)

German

annieca, kotov

Spanish

annieca

French

Hebrew

uhohlemonster

Italian

Latin

Greek

Russian

Polish

runaway

Romanian

kotov

German

annieca, kotov

Spanish

annieca, crazedandinfused

French

theregalrenegade

Hebrew

uhohlemonster, crazedandinfused (ktzat)

Italian

Latin

Greek

Russian

Polish

runaway

Romanian

kotov

Want to learn Welsh and Gaelic, and if I delve into Empire - Mandarin and Cantonese

Edited by theregalrenegade

German

annieca, kotov

Spanish

French

theregalrenegade

Hebrew

Italian

Latin

Greek

Russian

Polish

runaway

Romanian

kotov

Japanese

kyjin

Likely picking up French during my PhD if I need a romance language, and there's a bunch of research in my field in that language. Otherwise, I'd like to be able to read Chinese.

German

annieca, kotov, Kelkel

Spanish

French

theregalrenegade

Hebrew

Italian

Latin

Kelkel

Greek

Russian

Polish

runaway

Romanian

kotov

Japanese

kyjin

I'm rough in both. Haven't studied Latin since my junior year of high school, but I managed to test out of all levels offered at my UG a year out of practice. Proud of that.

I'd like to develop fluency in German and eventually learn French cause I know I'll need it.

German

annieca, kotov, Kelkel, Ganymede18

Spanish

annieca, crazedandinfused, Ganymede18

French

theregalrenegade, Ganymede18

Hebrew

Italian

Latin

Kelkel, Ganymede18

Greek

Ganymede18 (New Testament)

Russian

Polish

runaway

Romanian

kotov

Japanese

kyjin

I think the plan is to pick up italian also during ph.d. medievalists need lots of languages!

German

annieca, kotov, Kelkel, Ganymede18, grlu0701

Spanish

annieca, crazedandinfused, Ganymede18, grlu0701 (kind of)

French

theregalrenegade, Ganymede18

Hebrew

Italian

Latin

Kelkel, Ganymede18

Greek

Russian

Polish

runaway

Romanian

kotov

Japanese

kyjin

Italian is next on the list for me -- having the basics of Spanish should help with the transition.

German

Spanish

annieca, crazedandinfused, Ganymede18, grlu0701 (kind of), CageFree

French

theregalrenegade, Ganymede18, CageFree (reading, can speak a bit)

Hebrew

Italian

Latin

Kelkel, Ganymede18

Greek

Russian

Polish

runaway

Romanian

kotov

Japanese

kyjin

Portuguese

CageFree (reading)

I took Latin and German in college but I can't say I'm fluent in either... I forgot most of my Latin, except that it has helped me understand French and Portuguese well enough to pass a translation test. I plan to take a "Portuguese for Spanish speakers" class to develop spoken fluency, and then I'll probably either take German again, or work on French.

German

Spanish

annieca, crazedandinfused, Ganymede18, grlu0701 (kind of), CageFree, StrangeLight

French

theregalrenegade, Ganymede18, CageFree (reading, can speak a bit), StrangeLight

Hebrew

Italian

Latin

Kelkel, Ganymede18

Greek

Russian

Polish

runaway

Romanian

kotov

Japanese

kyjin

Portuguese

CageFree (reading), StrangeLight (reading, swearing)

Hungarian

StrangeLight (swearing only)

I'm planning to pick up Bosnian-Croatian-Montenegrin-Serbian and Yiddish during grad school. I have some reading knowledge of Ukrainian but it's very specialized so I didn't list it.

German

Spanish

annieca, crazedandinfused, Ganymede18, grlu0701 (kind of), CageFree, StrangeLight

French

theregalrenegade, Ganymede18, CageFree (reading, can speak a bit), StrangeLight, Safferz (Franglais)

Hebrew

Italian

Latin

Kelkel, Ganymede18

Greek

Russian

Polish

runaway

Romanian

kotov

Japanese

kyjin

Portuguese

Hungarian

Somali

Safferz

Arabic

Safferz (reading)

I plan to learn Italian, and perhaps Amharic if I decide to learn a second African language for my research.

I'm planning to pick up Bosnian-Croatian-Montenegrin-Serbian and Yiddish during grad school. I have some reading knowledge of Ukrainian but it's very specialized so I didn't list it.

I'm also planning on Yiddish eventually (after German and Hebrew, probably)... have you looked into which program you might do, kotov?

German

Spanish

annieca, crazedandinfused, Ganymede18, grlu0701 (kind of), CageFree, StrangeLight, pudewen (very rusty and basically useless to my work)

French

theregalrenegade, Ganymede18, CageFree (reading, can speak a bit), StrangeLight, Safferz (Franglais)

Hebrew

Italian

Latin

Kelkel, Ganymede18

Greek

Russian

Polish

runaway

Romanian

kotov

Japanese

kyjin, pudewen (sort of, it's in process)

Portuguese

Hungarian

Somali

Safferz

Arabic

Safferz (reading)

Chinese

pudewen (modern and classical)

I'm also planning to learn Manchu starting next year! And I may decide to try to acquire a reading knowledge of French or German at some point.

How are you all planning to learn your new language(s)? Will you enroll in courses during grad school, study abroad? I've never actually had to *study* a language before (what I know I've learned growing up), so I'm wondering what the best approach would be for learning Italian, which is the missing piece for my research.

How are you all planning to learn your new language(s)? Will you enroll in courses during grad school, study abroad? I've never actually had to *study* a language before (what I know I've learned growing up), so I'm wondering what the best approach would be for learning Italian, which is the missing piece for my research.

The best way to learn is certainly through study abroad, but unless you're willing to take a year off from your program, I'd say your optimal strategy is to start taking Italian in your first year, do a study abroad program your first summer (which should give you the equivalent of a second year), and then take another course your second year. After that, see where you stand (depending on your needs, three years of Italian may well be plenty; my impression is that it's not an especially hard language for native English speakers to learn). That's the strategy I'm taking with Japanese; though it will probably take me a bit longer to learn it than it will take you with Italian (and I started the summer prior to my first year, letting me take a second year class this academic year).

Safferz.

It depends on your learning style. I am a very hands-on person so I learn quickly and best when I am in an immersed setting. So I did my Hebrew and German in Israel and Germany respectively. I've tried continuing them in the US upon my return but it's SO hard! But I will be heading off to Middlebury this summer to get my Hebrew back up to where I left off, and do plan on working one of my languages in 2013.. we'll see where things go. :) I can self-study history but languages... ugh, no. :(

I'm also planning on Yiddish eventually (after German and Hebrew, probably)... have you looked into which program you might do, kotov?

I'm not really sure. I may just try to pick it up on my own. I think they teach it at SWSEEL at IU, which I'm going to for Romanian this year.