Got into Hunter MSW but probably not Albany? Really?

michelenancy

I've been waiting... and waiting... and WAITING for Albany. Their process is absurd. Finally had to call b/c if I didn't sign up for classes at one of the other two schools I was accepted into, there wouldn't be any classes left by the time I heard from Albany! I called and explained my predicament, and they explained that they had started sending out initial acceptance letters, but I was "low ranking." Really? I got into Hunter which has an acceptance rate FAR more exclusive than Albany's. I have a 3.75 GPA, I'm in 3 prestigious honors programs, 3 years human service paid/unpaid experience, extracurricular activities... What gives? VERY CONFUSED.

While Hunter is GREAT! They are not commuter and/or adult friendly. Masters program is 5 days a week no ifs/ands/or buts. Also, they are more community organization/macro based. I am clinical/micro track.

P.S. Albany ranks #12 in the nation for Social Work with a 40% acceptance rate, while Hunter ranks #22 with less than a 20% acceptance rate...

Went ahead and dropped the $250 deposit for Hunter. SUPER BUMMED.

I just heard back from albany a few days ago, and I got in. Still waiting to hear from schools. This long waiting does suck. I literally emailed them and after I hit send I saw they emailed me at the same time.

Admissions aren't solely ranked on your GPA or other 'face-value' credentials. They are also based on your research interests and if there are faculty at the time who are willing to work with you. In a way, you can get 'lucky' depending on which year you apply. You might have happened to apply during a year when there were a lot of strong applications. There are numerous reasons why you would get accepted at one school and not another. It's not just black and white.

Edited by spinrah

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use