what's the greatest number of rejections you've heard of?

frankdux

Thanks for sharing your optimism, frankdux! :(

I suspect (and shall probably be able to confirm soon) that 100% rejection is soul destroying, whether it's 3 schools or 14 schools.

Not really ridgey. I suspect the schools will recognize your talent for what it is worth. Now many people have the raw stamina to go from zero to sample in less than a week :twisted:

I've applied for PhD programs four times ... excluding this year, I was accepted to only one program (which I turned down because no one in that department taught my subject and it was ranked somewhere south of 200. Seriously).

So my rejection total is (drum roll, please) ... 19! That doesn't include this year's applications, although I finally have one acceptance at a school that's top 20 with people who do what I study (thank God!).

Let's do some math. 19 applications, plus the two that I got accepted to, plus three more that are out = 24 applications at roughly $50 each = $1200. Add to that the GRE subject test twice (plus late fees, oops) = $170 x 2= $340, and the GRE twice = $340 and postage on each at about $4 = $48. Total cost of applying to grad school? $1928 so far. And that doesn't include my MFA applications back in 2001. That went a little better, thankfully.

Wow, that was depressing.

Let's see... this is my third go at the PhD application process.

(I switched fields after the first round actually... and my first round apps were total and complete crap)

So, first time rejected from 5 PhD progs... (admitted to one MS program)

Second time, rejected from 8 PhD progs (admitted to 2 MA programs)

So... 13 rejections total, and holding. Hopefully won't be adding to them this year!

If you want to add my MFA rejections from 2001 to my above total of 19, then we can up my total to 26 :D

I'm just happy that I'm accepted now to a place I like (one of my top choices). I like to say I'm a model for persistence and determination (or stupidity).

Medianerd, I have faith in you. And, from someone who has spent some time off (BA, year off, MFA, year off, MA, year off) -- don't worry too much about taking time off if you aren't prepared to fully commit to the program that accepts you. Life has a way of working itself out -- I've been fired from more jobs than I can count, I've been on unemployment four times in the last three years -- but my eye have always been on the ultimate prize. And it does work out if you look at those rejections as an opportunity to figure out what went wrong and to just get better every time. You can do it.

Now, if I can just figure out how to stretch these unemployment dollars until August, I'll be all set!

Don't you also think that you need to tailor your essay's to fit each school you apply to? So in some ways, it might be easier to get accepted to 4-6 schools than it would be to by 21 (unless of course you're starting over a year in advance). Everyone is different, so I'm just speaking from my own experience, but applying to 8 schools completely consumed me.