I am soooo F'ing TIRED of waiting!!

husky07

I just got my fourth rejection. This one came from the school I thought was my safety school (so, I'm a bit surprised). I wonder if this means I'm s**t out of luck with the others.

I'm tired of waiting to be accepted.

I'm tired of waiting to be rejected.

The two schools I'm waiting on usually do not notify for about another week still. GRR! i could use some good news...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got my fourth rejection. This one came from the school I thought was my safety school (so, I'm a bit surprised). I wonder if this means I'm s**t out of luck with the others.

Try to stay optimistic. I got accepted into one of my "safety" schools and waitlisted at another (with a much lower ranking . . . 49 vs 19 . . . though I have said before and will say again that I don't know how significant US News' rankings are in a field like English). I've also been accepted with funding to a top-10 (I guess there's no way of avoiding it though, is there? Especially when talking to someone not thoroughly familiar with not just your discipline, but sub-field) school and rejected from three Ivy-league schools, one of which isn't ranked as highly. This is an especially competitive year - applications are up in many departments and the number of slots available is way down most places. Crazy things happen.

For my part, I know I should be happy because I'm in with funding at 2 really good schools, but my boyfriend, who's an anthropologist, hasn't heard from anywhere yet and it's driving me bonkers. I mean, I was aware going into this process that even if we applied to the same dozen schools, the odds were not in favor of us being accepted to the same place(s). So I'm just twiddling my thumbs waiting to find out what the future holds for us. I understand that my boyfriend and I might break up anyway, but if we do, I'd like it to be because we don't like each other anymore, rather than because we're going to be living 3,000 miles apart for the next 7 years and neither of us is going to have enough money for groceries, let alone plane tickets.

Well, I am torn over the wanting the month over. Because there are 3 ways that could play out:

a) I am finally finished with the waiting, relief ensues and I feel happy, lighter than I've felt since, like, August.

or

B) I am finally finished with the waiting, the results are in, and I seriously don't like them. While the gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach, the anxious waiting, is gone I am left with a different feeling, a feeling that indicates "oh shit, I'm really going now. How am I going to live? How can I eat? I didn't think past getting in!"

or....

c) I DIDN'T GET IN ANYWHERE! (which currently should be amended to: I didn't get in WHERE i REALLY WANTED TO GO!)

So while the waiting sucks, I don't know if the after waiting time will be better or worse...

Oddly enough, the two results I've had - both rejections - have eased my anxiety about waiting. Maybe it was realising that the disappointment wouldn't actually kill me. So I still check for results a few times a day, but nowhere near as compulsively.

That said, I would still very much like the rest of my results - or a single admittance - ASAP.

I just got rejected from my top choice. I think I miss the waiting.

**HUGS!** You're allowed to feel bummed out but do not be too upset. The grand adventure is not the weight of 'top choices' - because, remember, the decision of admission is not yours. This process is arbitrary and sometimes downright cold hearted. The silver lining is that there are more adventures yet to be that you will still have the opportunity of chasing - let the other ones roll in before we count curses or blessings...

I feel like once Monday rolls around I obsessively check my e-mail, status websites, and grad cafe. It makes attempting to do any work at work nearly impossible.

I wanna know now! Id really want to visit the schools before the deadline of deciding where to go, but if they dont tell me until its too late, im gonna be annoyed.

I had a friend who applied to UCSD last year and didnt find out she was accepted until after the admitted students orientation, and they gave her a week to notify them if she was attending or not. She wasnt even on the waitlist. now that is just cruel.

The silver lining is that there are more adventures yet to be that you will still have the opportunity of chasing - let the other ones roll in before we count curses or blessings...

You're right of course, thank you, and thank you as well, Miratrix. Surprisingly I am not hysterical and rather calm. I feel terrible, but calm. Didn't even get weepy.

Now, to keep on waiting.

I had a friend who applied to UCSD last year and didnt find out she was accepted until after the admitted students orientation, and they gave her a week to notify them if she was attending or not. She wasnt even on the waitlist. now that is just cruel.

I have a friend who applied to 11 different law schools, and due to a very rocky early college career, got 10 rejections and a waitlist. Summer wore on into fall and she had found a FT job and just about forgotten her law aspirations. Then, one Thursday, she got a call from the school that waitlisted her asking if she still wanted the spot. HELL YEAH! she burst out. The semester started the FOLLOWING MONDAY. Not notify them of intent to register by the following Monday, but four days to pack up, pick up, and turn up on campus half the country away. And to rub salt in the wound they emailed her a summer's worth of preparation reading to do. Of course she's in the top 3% and in Law Review now, so it worked out pretty well.

I have a friend who applied to 11 different law schools, and due to a very rocky early college career, got 10 rejections and a waitlist. Summer wore on into fall and she had found a FT job and just about forgotten her law aspirations. Then, one Thursday, she got a call from the school that waitlisted her asking if she still wanted the spot. HELL YEAH! she burst out. The semester started the FOLLOWING MONDAY. Not notify them of intent to register by the following Monday, but four days to pack up, pick up, and turn up on campus half the country away. And to rub salt in the wound they emailed her a summer's worth of preparation reading to do. Of course she's in the top 3% and in Law Review now, so it worked out pretty well.

okay yeah, thats worse. i just dont get why they cant notify us in a timely manner. everything we do has to be done by their deadlines. their should be a deadline that they adhere to for notifications.

I feel terrible, but calm. Didn't even get weepy.

Wow... that's not even how I felt after my 4th rejection. For me they just get harder. You've got some great strength. Although, I'm happy... I didn't cry today when TTU rejected me. I just sighed. Got mopey. And am finally moving on.

Best of luck to you!

I can't read, I can't work, I can't eat.

My friends all know I'm doing the wait-thing but they still don't seem to understand. Gotta love them for trying to be supportive.

I'm not much on movies or TV, but I'm starting to think I should catch up on The Wire since I dropped out after the third season (because I was writing all my statements and applying for the schools I'm now waiting to hear from.... What a vicious cycle.)

The question remains: Does thegradcafe make waiting easier or harder? Haha.

The question remains: Does thegradcafe make waiting easier or harder? Haha.

Eh, I thought it made it easier. I would have been obsessing anyway...and it was reassuring to find 1) support from other people who were waiting and 2) that I shouldn't worry about not having heard from schools I hadn't heard from, because no one else had heard either!

my situation is even, if i'm to describe it, funny. i'm stuck in another country working on stuff when i do know that the decisions are flying to my flat, where i can't reach now.

this means that i'll be collecting all rejections (never expected otherwise) in my kitchen when i'm back... :roll:

applied: 6

admitted: none (at all i guess)

rejected: 1 (received before i went abroad) and 5 more

Screw it! Let's just grab some torches and spend the money we saved up for the big move to go school to school and set fire to any department that hasn't sent out results yet!

The fires will be seen from space!!!

BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

...ahem... I'm ok...

This. :lol:

I'm past going crazy now im just annoyed, everytime i check my email and see "no unread messages" i'm just annoyed. Like really? How can I not have heard a peep from any 10 of them yet? The admin assist for our dept at my undergrad today said that its a good sign i haven't heard yet but I dont understand how that could be.